main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and Eps. 8 & 9 - CAUTION: SPOILERS A'PLENTY!

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Honestly, you returning to the boards is pointless.

I've been wondering how long it would take you to revert to your annoying ways. You know, where you cause pointless argument in a thread simply because you can't accept another's point or even another's facts. Remember all the pointless debate you caused during TFA days?

Do us all a favor and don't make E8 another pointless debate about things you don't want to accept or don't even try to understand.

2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    one of the dumbest thing, I've ever read "your return is pointless", you think I care what you think, your signing up is pointless with these types of post that aren't even about the topic but the poster.

LOL, look who's talking the king of treating others like complete and utter crap for having different opinions and views that don't align with his own. You think I forget all the times you mocked me or criticized me openly for what I thought about Luke in TFA or when you do the same to others all the time. Because you don't have any arguments to counter so you go for pettiness and go for the person instead. The whole debate was not pointless there is nothing concrete or official. Just exchanging words and ideas with others why is that pointless how is that different than any other debate. Just because I don't agree with speculation doesn't mean it's pointless, you can't accept anything thats not fact. When am I unable to accept other's opinion? I accept Satipo and Mungo think Snoke is related to Jakku but doesn't mean I think it's true, it's just speculation. I accept but don't agree with people that think Rey is Random... etc.

and do me a favor and don't read or or quote me or interact with me because I don't care what you think.

Dra--- likes this.
  3. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I don't even necessarily think Snoke is related to Jakku BTW. It's a possibility for sure, but not the only one. What's indisputable is that the story group is setting up a significant mystery in regards Jakku. Will be interesting to see how that mystery plays out.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That will be enough of that.

@starocean90 knock off the "being needlessly contrarian" act. And, everybody knock off the "making it personal" type comments. Also starocean90, perhaps if you improved your use of punctuation, you'd be a little easier to understand.

For example:
    "LOL, because I don't agree with you on some points I'm "acting" like it's irrelevant. You don't read me well at all Satipo never have so don't pretend to presume anything. Stick to the topic." The irony is obvious.

5. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    So, do we think this is an Aftermath subplot/ reveal, or set up for 8 & 9?

Dra--- likes this.
  6. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    @Pro Scoundrel
    I don't get so I'm being contrarian because I don't agree with others? So what anyone that has a different opinion than me is right and I'm wrong and anything I say is contrarian? But isn't that the point if 2 people have different views/speculation that the other poster will be contrarian and vice-versa. Why is it anytime I don't agree with others I'm the one accused of being contrarian? Just wondering.

7. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I find it hard to believe, right now, that we will return to Jakku at any point of the trilogy. I think it has served its purpose in terms of story.

But who knows.

TK327 and Satipo like this.
  8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    It's not that you disagree, it's that you keep moving goalposts or arguing things that no one is suggesting. It's like you struggle to follow a debate, or you won't accept information as legit unless you bring it to the table. Then you cry foul when others complain, effectively making the discussion all about you, which is frustrating.

Dra--- likes this.
  9. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    when did I cry foul play? I never cried foul play today. And I get criticized by the mod for saying that you don't read me well...and I never rejected any legit info unless I brought it up, I asked about the Episode I stuff, nor do I struggle in following debates.

well maybe it seems like that from outside perspective because I have a lot of problems when it comes to writing. English is my 3rd language out of 4 and I struggle massively to write, it doesn't help I'm more of an oral person. I also tend to struggle to find words and to write paragraph.

10. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    They returned to Tatooine and to Naboo. Why not Jakku.

Sent via Tapatalk this was.

11. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    they return for a continuation of Rey's past of being dumped on Jakku in the flashback.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  12. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Well, look, in that case I apologise if I'm not giving enough leeway for that. Your English seems very strong so perhaps I forget that it's not your first language which in terms of nuance can make a big difference. It felt like the goal posts kept shifting. Also it wasn't clear at first (not your fault) that you weren't aware that the info being discussed was canon and not just our own theories (although I did try to spell it out). Like I said all the way through, the speculation could be wrong, but it was based on clues being dropped by the SG.

starocean90 and Dra--- like this.
  13. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    It seems like too much of a coincidence for it not to relate in some way. It's just hard to say in what way and to what extent.

The reference to the consecrated eremite is especially interesting. Could that be Snoke?

The question is: what was Palpatine seeking on Jakku? The Eremite?

At the very least, Jakku seems to be important for its location: a key jumping off point to the Unknown Regions.

I think they're piled up so many connections on Jakku in order to make it difficult for us to see the most important ones.

14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I agree. What Palpatine is looking for is the key to all this.

Is it a relic?

A clue that will lead him to the source of the dark side?

A clue to Snoke?

Snoke himself (remember the ancient fear/ ancient tomb rumours)?

Something else?

And yes, the Eremite is not something they just dropped I don't think. That feels significant to me.

I guess this is why Jakku is not tatooine. They wanted it to have its own significance. In which case the fact that it was once verdant yet is now an arid rock also feels significant.

And yes, it's worth remembering that this mystery could all be wrapped up in Aftermath, though Rey's link to Jakku makes me think it, like the whole balance thing, is set up for the ST somehow.

15. Darphus_Mon

Darphus_Mon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 2003
    Is it possible Rey was exposed to whatever lies beneath Jakku is the reason why she's so strong in the Force? Like excavating in a radiation zone, but the radiation is a good thing?

16. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    It's as valid a possibility as anything else at this stage.

17. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    I very much consider the possibility that what Palpatine was seeking on Jakku was a place to secretly funnel information about the Unknown Regions. He never says he's looking for a person or an object buried underneath the ground. However he did find someone significant on Jakku not long after TPM. He found a second boy from a desert world with a destiny far greater than a person in that circumstance should have.

Why would he initially choose Jakku though? Aside from the will of the Force, it's strategic position and seeming insignificance might have made it perfect. But also the history of the planet might play a factor as he does reference that it was significant a thousand years ago. If there was some great battle there a thousand years ago involving the Jedi and the Sith, it's not above Palpatine to use the planet as a central piece in his plot to bring the galaxy to its knees. But what happened there a thousand years ago could just end up being a tale for another book or video game down the road.

As for the purpose of the battle of Jakku, at some point the Republic has to believe it has permanently defeated the Empire. Rax is thinking about the future and Brendol Hux's training of children into loyal soldiers is going to take decades. It also requires cover in the Unknown Regions. The research facility should be destroyed and the Empire must also look vanquished. Much like the destruction of the second Death Star, the crash of the Ravager would go a long way in convincing certain people that the threat is diminished or over.

As for why Rey's parents would leave her on Jakku of all places, well right now it could either be deliberate in relation to what transpired there in the past or more will of the Force type of explanation that surrounds the Falcon being there. If it's deliberate, it could just be because it's the last place in the galaxy someone like Snoke would look for her if he chose to do so. Much like Vader never going back to Tatooine. Though that would mean her parents legitimately believe someone like Snoke could be after her at some point. I suppose there are plenty of ways they could reveal a connection between Snoke and Rey. One such connection could be the lightsabers. Right now in the Aftermath books, the Acolytes are seeking the red lightsaber of Darth Vader. If Rey could see Kylo Ren using the blue lightsaber, it's possible that Snoke and Kylo could see her in a vision.

Dra--- likes this.
  18. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I apologize if I annoyed you in any you.[face_peace]
    my English is stronger when it comes to oral but when I come to write what I say or mean or try to write well......yesh, it rarely comes out well, always a problem somewhere. Too many of my posts I edit them numerous times during the initial post (LOL including this one) and with the edit button or after finishing what I wrote I sometimes (not always) realize that what I wrote isn't the same as what I wanted to say, you can say almost like a conflict between my brain (writing) and my mouth (oral). Even cases where I struggled to write a 1 line sentence and I edited it like 4-5 times. Worse part is that I know the words but I struggle to find them when I write, something that I don't have a problem with when it comes to oral. Maybe I wouldn't have a problem if I orally recite what I want to say, but anytime I'm on the forum, I'm in a place one can't do that. Doesn't help that my program of study is all mathematics, so the more time goes on the more and more I get rusty from writing the more I struggle and force.net is the only time I get any English writing practice during the whole year.

Well anyways, you could end up being right about Jakku. Concerning the Eremite, no idea what that is. But looking up on online it says that he lived during the time Jakku was supposedly a living place and not covered with desert. So he was there when Jakku was still green? I recall Pablo stating that Jakku wasn't Tatooine because JJ wanted a planet that was war torn and lack of civilization, as it was inhabited during the Galactic War. Tatooine was neither of those 2 things. But back to the environment, was Jakku still a desert when Palps found Rax? That could give us a timeline to when it became a desert.

Dra--- and Satipo like this.
  19. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    As far as I know, it was a desert when Papls found it. I thought that Palpatine was actually digging for something in the desert, which leads me to think that there is something he is searching for, but maybe I am mistaken on that.

Dra--- likes this.
  20. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    The idea of an excavation site suggests something needs to be dug up and recovered. That could be anything from a temple to some smaller artifact to whoever this Eremite is.

But I also wonder if Palpatine discovered what he was searching for when he encountered Rax. Just a possibility.

Satipo likes this.
  21. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    And also to discover why those dark side folks are guarding that area of the world.

Sent via Tapatalk this was.

Dra--- likes this.
  22. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    I have a feeling that Jakku will not be revisited (physically) in VIII-IX outside of Rey being dumped or if it's shown in other force backs, like maybe something Snoke related. Already no rumors seem to indicate that it appears in VIII and wouldn't make sense for it to appear given that Rey will be busy on Ach-To. After the Battle of Jakku it seems like Jakku lost it's relevance to both sides. We know that Snoke's hideout is a moving command post, you would suspect that a final showdown would be there. In the OT for example they went back to Tatooine because we knew that Jabba was based on Tatooine in ANH and when Han was kidnapped, they were forced to go back there. There seem to be no reason to go back there for now.

also

Dra--- likes this.
  23. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Filoni: the PT Jedi were so selfless, they almost had no compassion. And this contributes to Anakin's fall.

Rabs, Mungo Baobab and Satipo like this.
  24. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm glad he sees it this way. Yoda' reaction to Anakin's talk of his visions of death is a great example of this. Yoda's advice is technically right, but seems to ignore that Anakin's concerns and feelings are very human.

Pro Scoundrel , Rabs, Krueger and 3 others like this.
  25. bluealien1

bluealien1 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 14, 2015
    sooo any one think Ben Kenobi will show up?

Satipo and Dra--- like this.