main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Worst decisions made in star wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Dark Ferus, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Here are some I found, one from each episode

1. Qui Gon takes Anakin to Naboo
    2. The council send Anakin to protect Padme
    3. Only four masters confront Sidious
    4. Tarkin steers th Death Star around yavin instead of destroying the planet
    5. Han doesn't check to make sure the falcon isn't being tracked
    6. Palpatine relies on Vader to turn Luke
    7. Poe doesn't immediately take off from jakku

2. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Urmmm, #4. Yavin is a huge gas giant, almost a star, what we call a Brown Drawf, many many times the size of Jupiter. There is no way the death star could even have effected it at all.

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    And why is #1 a problem? Anakin saves the day!

4. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    I always thought Anakin's decision to jump right at Obi Wan at the end of the Mustafar fight was a dumb one. I mean, he could have jumped anywhere else on that hill!

5. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    This was meant to be opinion based. I thinks it's a problem because Anakin is 9 and for all Qui Gon knew, not useful in battle.

Iron_lord, J7Luke and DarthCricketer like this.
  6. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Ratts Tyerell's decision to race in the Boonta Eve classic with his wife and children watching.

7. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    3 is really not that stupid. Four Masters including Mace 'B.M.F.' Windu really should be able to handle just about anyone and anything on a level playing field. There was no reason to suspect that Palpatine would be THAT good in a fight - nor any real reason why he should have been for that matter.

One I would add to the list would be entrusting the political decisions of your planet to Jar-Jar Binks. He's a good friend and he's smarter now than he was before but the guy is still not the brightest and has always been a bit naïve and foolish. You have to wonder whether this was the best idea ever.

J7Luke and KaleeshEyes like this.
  8. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Anyone who "sympathy vote"d Palpatine. WTF? Who votes someone into the highest office in the galaxy because they feel bad for him? Send him chocolates or something. Jeesh.

DBPirate, Drac39, J7Luke and 2 others like this.
  9. Dark Ferus

Jul 29, 2016
    Your point about jar jar, I agree with 100 percent. As for your other point, your opinion is as valid as mine, but even if Mace didn't need to think Palpatine was so good, he should have brought as much backup as possible just in case. For all he knew, Sidious wouldn't be the only enemy he would have to deal with. Also, he did have reason to suspect how powerful Palpatine was, he hid his dark side powers from every master on the planet for 13 years and had trained 2 apprentices.

Iron_lord and DarthCricketer like this.
  10. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    You can be sure of that?? The latest understanding of planets like Jupiter is that they have a solid core.

KaleeshEyes and DarthCricketer like this.
  11. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    It was his arrogance. He wanted to kill Obi-Wan then and there.

12. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    He was likely attempting to do one of these:

[​IMG]

13. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    I like how disembowelling someone with a laser sword somehow ends up sounding like someone doing up a zip quickly.

As to the other point, I still think four of the most powerful and experienced members of the Jedi Council should be able to handle just about anything, and if three of them hadn't mistaken ''duel to the death'' for ''impromptu round of musical statues'' then they would have been. Mace alone is second only to Yoda, who was able to at least match Sidious one on one for a while. Even if none of the other three were quite on that level, they are still top tier experienced and powerful Jedi. That display from Sidious is pretty much the single most powerful feat we've seen on screen thus far.

J7Luke and Jolee Bindo like this.
  14. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Mace should've gone there with three powerful Jedi, a bunch of senators of impeccable character and several holomedia reporters. That way, it looks more like a legitimate arrest based on evidence of a crime rather than a Jedi power grab at night behind closed doors. The situation led the Jedi into a hasty action, which is what Palpatine was no doubt hoping for. Besides, it's doubtful he (Palpatine) would attack if he was on camera and facing a crowd. No doubt he had a plan in case there was a whole group there to arrest him, but at least it wouldn't have been as easy to claim the Jedi were treasonous.

15. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    Oh Mace certainly played it wrong and as you say should have brought along some journalists and Senators to prove the legitimacy of his actions - but bringing more Jedi was not the answer and wouldn't have solved anything.

J7Luke likes this.
  16. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

Of course not, it's complete fiction. If Lucas wanted the death star to destroy a whole distant galaxy then it could do that.
    It is just my opinion based on what we saw the death star do to Alderaan in ANH and my knowledge of how much more massive Yavin as a gas giant is than Alderaan. I imagine firing the laser with enough energy into Yavin, even if it could get through the thousands of miles of gas atmosphere and then the reflective oceans of liquid metallic hydrogen, to finally reach the core, would start nuclear fusion and turn it into a star, not explode the planet. None of this would effect the moon straight away and the rebels would have time to evacuate.

Tarkin knows the death star can explode the moon. He doesn't know what would happen if he fired at the planet. If he fired on the planet and it did nothing, he would then have a much longer wait while the weapon is readied to fire again at the moon.

Also even if the deathstar could destroy the planet, it would damage the death star just as much as it could damage the moon. So for Tarkin It makes no sense whatsoever to attempt firing on Yavin.

Manny_Bothanz likes this.
  17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Building a 3rd Death Star!! Call it whatever you want....It's still a planet-destroying space station. Like Han said, "OKAY. So it's BIG!" That doesn't mean it's unbeatable. I mean what made them think "We had two previous ones destroyed, but hey-it's bigger, so: THIS time, everything will be different!"

I mean in real life, if a company tried twice at something expensive (some kind of project or deal), and it failed miserably-or was destroyed-losing the company millions, they wouldn't just...do it again, with just a little tweaking! It would be "back to the drawing board" for something fresh.

Another one is Anakin's trying to defeat Obi-Wan even though he had solidified the high ground position. Of course we realize Anakin's anger made him blind to this limitation, but had he just stopped and "took a breath," and thought about another solution he could've never needed his mechanical suit-and then, just imagine; he would've been unstoppable!!

MidKnighT and Deliveranze like this.
  18. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    Aside from whether or not the Death Star's superlaser could destroy Yavin or not, the weapon would have taken hours to recharge before it could take another shot at the rebel base. Time which the rebels could have used to evacuate if their attack failed. That's why the second Death Star was more powerful. It's weapon could recharge in mere minutes. Fun fact.

19. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    This honestly makes more sense than how TPM depicts it. Obi-Wan striking the killing blow on the way up seems much more likely to be successful rather than waiting to go over him completely and give Maul time to prepare.

SlashMan and TheMoldyCrow like this.
  20. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Qui-Gon having a problem with a sensible looking handmaiden coming along with them on Tatooine, but has no problem with a self confessed and proven "clumsy" gungan, whose whole biological structure is not suited for a desert planet in the first place.

Edit: though this is probably suited to the unpopular opinons thread than worst decisions.

21. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Padme deciding to die at the end of ROTS because she has lost the will to live.

Come on George...

22. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Depends on where the laser hits and its interactions with Yavin's atmosphere

Let's say it goes through the upper atmosphere of Yavin, thus avoiding what we believe to be the core of a gas giant. We'll assume Yavin has an atmosphere similar to Jupiter. How would those particle interfere with the Death Star's laser? I believe I saw a video once saying it would take about 1E15 (or one quintillion) kg/cm3 to destroy a planet
    But we can't compare it to anything because, unless I'm mistaken here too, the Death Star's powered by kyber crystals and a hyper matter reactor - obviously, neither exists in real life

But Tarkin took the time to go around Yavin for a direct shot at Yavin IV. This implies that there is at least risk of Yavin's atmosphere sufficiently weakening or outright dissipating the laser

23. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
  24. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013

I don't think the decision was entirely hers. Lucas recycled a idea from a old ANH draft where Vader uses the darkside to spiritually injure Luke's brother which is fatal. C3PO attempts to render medical aid in vain stating such injuries run counter to known science and logic as it is beyond a droid's understanding. Lucas was probably going for that Vader unintentionally spiritually injured Padme with his misdeeds in ROTS.

As for worst decision, Tarkin ignoring the threat the rebel fighters imposed.

25. cbwhu

cbwhu Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 10, 2016
    Letting the Falcon escape the 1st Death Star

OK they got the location of the base, but with no Luke, Leia or Han you have to figure the Empire wins

Deliveranze likes this.