main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rey Parentage Thread (with new poll; see notes on page 2447)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by poundpuppy29, Dec 20, 2015.

?

Rey is?

Poll closed Dec 25, 2017.
  1. Luke Skywalker's daughter

28.4%
  2. Han and Leia Solo's daughter

11.2%
  3. A Kenobi

11.6%
  4. A Palpatine

6.7%
  5. A clone (of who?)

0.7%
  6. Unrelated to any characters we know

34.7%
  7. Related to someone else we know (state who)

3.4%
  8. Other

3.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    If Padme can't tell the difference between Jake Lloyd Anakin and Hayden Anakin after 10 years, anything's possible.

2. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Like Anastasia and her grandmother with Once Upon A December Mirrorbright, perhaps :D

3. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    That hairstyle might also not be her hairstyle she was wearing when taken. We don't know how much time has passed between her being taken and then dumped.

Even if it was just a few days or a week, someone might have given her new clothes and styled her hair differently. She's just a little girl. I could see someone having pity on her and being her caretaker while they figure out what to do. I do believe Snoke was behind it. But rather than kill her as instructed they couldn't do it and left her on jakku.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MattOrgana and iluvkoalas like this.
  4. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    I could see something like that happening. Its be a nice way to give a nod to the novel in the movies as well. Rey hears the song somewhere and it slowly helps her to.remeber things.

5. sls062286

May 10, 2016
    I was among those who thought it may be Kylo. The only thing is, he didnt seem too worried about telling Snoke about "the girl". I would think if he had failed to kill her and left her there or even if he had just been worried that Snoke would corrupt her like he had been and took her away wouldnt he be worried that Snoke would find out about it? Then again there wouldn't be much he could do at that point.

6. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Nope. Not at all. You misunderstood my point completely [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]. My point is they're likely already changing the stuff people here call 'canon'. That can't be true though.. right? Because that stuff is sacrosanct to the point of people stating it as facts. If their own 'canon' isn't sacrosanct, what does that say about statements from some story guy with a Twitter account?

Either way.. the ship leaving Jakku has nothing at all to do with Jyn being her mother, given my theories never had Jyn dropping her off in the first place.... or raising her... or ever even being to Jakku. The dropping her off was an entirely different theory with little relevance.

7. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016

In fairytale logic, it is. Amulets, lullabies, unusual birthmarks... in a fairytale context they all make more dramatic sense than DNA tests - so why not hairstyles as well.

What Girl likes this.
  8. Kantz

Kantz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 23, 2015
  9. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    This was a synopsis compiled by a member here based on the info we had gotten so far. He had not seen a draft of the script to my knowledge. It was a working outline as more spoilers leaked. Especially after the shooting schedules, call sheets, whatever it is that MSW had.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

10. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    Either way, it's really amazing we knew so much about the movie beforehand. I'm happy I didn't.

11. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    - When did Kylo hear "so much" about Rey other than that one time when he almost choked poor Mitaka?

- Why does he keep repeating "is it true that you're just a scavenger?" over and over in disbelief if by that point in time she hasn't shown any Force powers yet?

- Why does Snoke talk about the awakening and the risk of Kylo being seduced by the light/his capacity to be compassionate in the same context, as if he knows that the person in which the Force awakened can inspire these feelings within him?

- What if Kylo overreacted to the news of Rey helping BB8 escape not because he happens to have left a little girl on that very same planet years ago, but rather because he's heard rumours for a long time that Snoke has been keeping an eye on a potentially powerful girl in Jakku that might one day make him drop Kylo like a hot potato?

- Is that why he offered to be her teacher? I know the most popular answer to this question is "because she's a cute girl and he's infatuated" *looks at the camera like I'm in The Office*, but how about this: did he do that so she would answer to him instead? So he could keep her on a leash and mess with Snoke's plans for her? So that Snoke couldn't have her?

- Why does Snoke sound almost resigned in a "well I guess I'll have to make do with Kylo" when he says "it's time to complete his training", right after Rey refuses to surrender to the dark side?

- Why does Snoke seem almost pleasantly surprised to hear that Rey resisted Kylo?
    - What in fresh hell was Snoke planning to do with Rey here?
    Kill her? Torture her? Really? REALLY??? Right after he acknowledged that Kylo has compassion for her? He knows damn well what happened between Vader and Luke (read the longer quote, right above). He would be showing him the light side instead.

[​IMG]

MattOrgana likes this.
  12. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  13. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Rey was born 11 years after Return of the Jedi. Entertaining the Jyn Erso angle for a moment, she would be pushing 30 by the time of RotJ, and nearly 40 by the time Rey was born, which stretches credibility even in an advanced society like the GFFA.

This same problem arises with the notion that she's Han and Leia's daughter too, I might add, on top of everything else that disproves the idea already.

14. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    LOL Ridley how is Jyn a grandma? she's younger than Han Solo and older than Luke/Leia by a few years and all 3 of those characters could fit being her parents. I feel like Ridley is almost hinting that Jyn dies in Rogue One with her comments.

as for Kenobi she's just leaving all the options open nothing else.

15. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    ...Leia would've been 34 when Rey was born. I assure you that women having babies at 34 is quite common lol.

16. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Even though Leia most likely ain't Rey's mom, Leia would be 34 when she had Rey, which isn't bad age-wise at all

Edit:IrisBest great minds think alike

IrisBest likes this.
  17. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Leia would have been about 34 when Rey was born.

Jyn would have been about 38 when Rey was born if she is age 23 in Rogue One.

I think Kathleen Kennedy's daughters were born when she was in her 40s. I could be wrong go check it out.

18. sls062286

May 10, 2016
    Does she think Darth Vader and Jyn are the same age or something?

19. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    I concede the point re: Leia's age at the time of Rey's birth, but having children beyond age 35 is less than ideal because it's basically a crapshoot when it comes to the health of both mother and child. It can and does happen, but hinging Rey's parentage on the notion of it happening in this particular instance stretches credibility.

20. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    eh I thought that was true for woman above 40 not 35.....

21. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ Nope. The ideal age range for childbearing is between 20 and 35. I know because I looked it up.

22. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Lol. I guess all women should bend to the "ideal."

Remember, only the Sith deal in absolutes.

23. silver springs

silver springs Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 14, 2016

If we're talking plausibility, advanced maternal age is nothing compared to impregnation by the Force ;)

AniLukeRey likes this.
  24. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    Janet Jackson has recently had a bun put in the oven and she's fifty. My younger sister was born when my mum was 42. Its not impossible but unlikely.

25. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    So now some are arguing that Leia or Jyn isn't Rey's mother because of the age? Because Leia might have been in her mid-30's and Jyn in her late 30's?

I'd say there are other reasons why neither Jyn nor Leia are likely not Rey's mom. But age is not one of the. That's just plain absurd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.