main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT An Essay on Palpatine/Sidious in ROTS

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by HevyDevy, Aug 3, 2015.

1. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011

Thanx for reading it!

ROTS should have been three hours tbh. The final cut is quite streamlined, it delivers the message pretty effectively, but I really wish Lucas had given the audience benefit of the doubt and went for an extended edition.

I agree the dialogue in the PT can be quite rich/significant if you think about it. Lucas may have sacrificed some of the OT realism in the characterisation, but there is a lot going on between the lines.

I posted some more slightly more organised stuff further down on pg1 of the thread (post 11). Would appreciate if you gave it a read.

Eternal_Jedi and QuangoFett like this.
  2. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
  3. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Palpatine is the best designed and written character in the PT IMO.
    Bump.

4. Zinnzade

Zinnzade Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    Really enjoyed reading this. Reminds me of how much depth there is in those movies.

One thing that stuck out to me in reading this is the contrast between how Palpatine presents the idea of Anakin spying on the Jedi (being his "eyes and ears") versus how the Jedi presents the same idea to Anakin. Palpatine does it in an official capacity and doesn't ask Anakin to lie to the Council about it. But the Jedi make it a secret, deceitful thing. It makes it easier to understand Anakin's mistrust.

5. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Always keen for more feedback, thanks for all the responses so far.

mikeximus likes this.
  6. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Palpatine's dialogue seems pretty carefully selected by Lucas because of stuff like this. He's always got some motive.

7. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
  8. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Wondering for those who haven't read this, did the double-meanings in Palpatine's dialogue seem apparent to you?

I should have renamed this thread, it is more of a script analysis than an actual essay...

9. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
  10. tealeona

tealeona Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2016
    Loved this thread! It just seems so ironic that despite all his planning and plotting and superior intellect and force skill Palpatine's fate was always to be killed by Anakin regardless whether the latter was a jedi or sith.

11. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Thanks for reading it :)

Yeah, if Palpatine is aware of the prophecy is quite an interesting question that I doubt will ever be answered.

12. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Does anyone dare challenge the omniscience in Palpatine demonstrated in this thread? :p

13. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I feel It's probably appropriate that the whole thing is simplified. Palpatine quite early into his scheme, was likely pleasantly surprised as to just how easy the facade was and how stupid the Jedi were. The whole scheme played out like gravy. He hardly had to break a sweat..Anakin was a gullible dip****, like putty in his hands..Only Yoda and Kenobi would likely be problematic after Order 66. They are powerful Jedi, strong in the force and not to be taken lightly.

14. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Simplified? I guess, but if you look at Palpatine's dialogue in the PT there is usually a lot more going on than what it appears on the surface. He knew what he was doing.
    The Jedi were trying to look outward through a haze, paying little attention to what was right next to them. Shroud of the dark side, and arguably complacency, they got too used to doing things their old way.

I don't think Palpatine had it that easy though, like even Palpatine said "We must move quickly. The Jedi are relentless."
    They were just outplayed.

And as you said, just two Jedi surviving posed a problem for the Sith. The Emperor in the ROTJ novelisation cockily mentions Yoda, querying if he is no longer a threat. And Vader repeatedly mentions Obi-Wan's failure, with little comprehension that Obi-Wan is still aiding Luke.

The Emperor's arrogance and blindness mirrors the Jedi's own at the end of the PT.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. IMightRegretThisUsername

IMightRegretThisUsername Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 19, 2016
    Darth Sidious' Guide to Manipulation. Why has this book not been written?

HevyDevy likes this.
  16. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    A great glimpse into the Sith art of manipulation.
    [​IMG]

HevyDevy likes this.
  17. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    This thread tho!
    [​IMG]

Rockin' my world, Devy. Gonna be soaking this in for days.

Namaste

HevyDevy and Ewok Poet like this.
  18. IMightRegretThisUsername

IMightRegretThisUsername Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 19, 2016

I will not use this. It will not make its way into my daily interactions and negotiations. This is just for research.

:)

[​IMG]

Ewok Poet and Subtext Mining like this.
  19. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    I just wanted to say that was an incredible amount of work you did! Very impressive analysis! Kudos!

20. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011

Always a pleasure to meet another Jedi :p
    Lol jk

Ewok Poet and PCCViking like this.
  21. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    I feel I should have titled this differently.

Just wondering if anyone has a new reaction to this attempt at an analysis at the mastermind of most of the events of the PT.

22. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Thanx for the like @Subtext Mining
    It was fun to read that old post.

I miss the days when I was noticing this stuff, I haven’t been watching the films much lately.