main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph X-Men Movies & TV - Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Oct 6, 2010.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Ah, but what works in the comics doesn't always work in films. That's why they upped the Samurai like they did.

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ^But that's not a corollary. Yes, what works in the comics doesn't always work in films. That is true. The idea that they had to go for a big CGI samurai robot instead of a smaller, grittier duel with more tension and more skill is piddle.

PymParticles likes this.
  3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Wonder if Professor X is real; just an hallucination or Charles's PSI-ghost trapped in Logan's head, like in Wolverine: the END

Valency Jane and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Wowzers, I loved that trailer. Haven't dug an X-trailer that much since the first Days of Future Past trailer dropped and that turned out to be one of my favourite in the series. This looks great, moody, and a lot of pathos and it seems they're skipping out on the robo-Samuari this time. Grim and gritty does not work for everyone but it does work for Logan as he's passing the torch to someone who is fated to inherit his power and way of life. I really think this movie could be something special.

Anyway, as for the timelines, Answer A: this is very much post Days of Future Past (although it does look like a modern setting what with the cars and all) with the Old Man Logan type of post apocalyptic future wherein everyone is dead except for Logan and a sidekick (in this case, Professor X). Answer B: it's a modern setting and viewed more as a sequel to "The Wolverine" instead of DoFP / Apocalypse and X-23 as the next gen Wolverine will get some SNIKT into any more hypothetically set modern era X-flicks. Answer C: Deadpool once again has shown us the way: "McAvoy or Stewart? These timelines are so confusing!"

5. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    That's a darn good theory.

seventhbeacon likes this.
  6. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The movieverse added a generation to the Yashida family. The old man was Ichiro Yashida and Shingen was his son.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not so much about changes to Silver Samurai but rather it feeling out of place with the tone of the rest of the film, which was much more grounded and less world-of-giant-robot-armor-battles.

9. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    So it definitely feels like this is a continuation of The Wolverine timeline

My theory is rather simple: There are two timelines. One is First Class, XMO:Wolverine, X1, X2, X3, The Wolverine and now Logan

The other is First Class, DOFP, Apocalypse, X1 and X2 with things modified to end with Logan's happy ending from DOFP

This makes a bit of sense particularly with Charles suddenly having hair but also perhaps his body is breaking down as well after so many years. Would also explain why he is still alive after so many are gone.

I'm intrigued at least. Not sure if I'll actually enjoy the plot or not, but it's got my interest piqued if nothing else.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    That's a good theory, but my only gripe I have about Wolverine: Origins to Logan being a timeline is what about the Charles and Erik post-credit scene in The Wolverine which shows Sentinels, Trask, etc. That is leading to the DoFP future.

11. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    I was not expecting anything as amazing as what was delivered in the trailer, in terms of tone or weight or human drama. Such a beautiful trailer and cover to that song. I am genuinely excited, and would be amazed if Fox delivered the best superhero film two years in a row! (Deapool/Logan)

Also, Laura! Yesss!

Even more compelling if Logan was used as Patient Zero (not to be confused with Agent Zero). Imagine if Sinister used Logan to spread the Legacy Virus that killed all the mutants. Talk about added guilt! (As long as it's not overplayed or feeling too contrived).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  12. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Ah, totally forgot that! Yes. Ichiro just tends to remind me more of comic-book-Shingen than movie-Shingen did.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, The Wolverine definitely leads to DOFP Future. Which means Logan has to either fit inbetween (which doesn't make sense if there's no mutants to hunt, no Sentinels, Charles's mind lost), or after the alt-X3 DOFP coda. The latter is the only thing that makes sense.

PCCViking likes this.
  14. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    I got a Mad Max/The Rover vibe from the trailer. I even saw someone made a parody title called: Mad Logan: Furry Mutant. [face_laugh]

Valency Jane, BigAl6ft6 and Gamiel like this.
  15. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    To be fair, we never saw what it was Charles and Erik were so worried about. We only saw videos of Trask tech. So it's completely possible that they referred to something else or they stopped this threat. I definitely don't think it works as being post DOFP happy ending though.

An even easier scenario though is the third timeline. Before DOFP came out, Singer and crew essentially said that future Xavier and the rest were from another timeline and not part of the "main" timeline we knew.

So basically multiple timelines running around.

Valency Jane and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe Logan takes place in the distant past where old man Logan then goes into the future, gets a sex change, has sex with middle aged man Logan from the future, produces a young man Logan, played by Ethan Hawke, who then goes back into the past to tell old man Logan to not go into the future to do any of that because middle aged man Logan has killed old man Logan, but old man Logan gets very confused by the presence of young man Logan, so he kills him but wait, at the coda there's a baby man Logan hidden in a cradle somewhere, and that's the movie?

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    You're going to the ignore list too.

18. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Folks, your theories...why bother? I mean, really, Fox has never cared much for continuity in their X-films (just ask Deadpool). There's no mental gymnastics to be made here. If (not Old Man) Logan refers to any previous film or not, who cares? Treat it as an alternate reality/timeline just like Marvel did.

Awesome trailer though. I just hope Marvel doesn't screw the pooch with this one.

Gamiel, BigAl6ft6 and soitscometothis like this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Continuity is bumpy in this series, but the general order of events has been pretty clear (though there are some key events referenced offscreen in some films never depicted in certain timelines), even if multiple specific details will never align in terms of character ages, etc.

Original Timeline: FC->DOFP(Present; Assassination)--->X3(Prologue)-->XMO---->X1->X2->X3->TW----->DOFP(Future)
    Altered Timeline: FC->DOFP(Present; No Assassination)-->XMA-->(Collect Underpants)------->DOFP(Alt-Future Coda)->Deadpool--->Logan

EDIT- and in case we needed it, Mangold confirms Logan is set after the DOFP epilogue.

Todd the Jedi and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I thought that was a given.

21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    This is the text blurb attached to the Logan trailer on my cable system:

Logan and Professor Charles Xavier deal with the loss of the X-Men when Nathaniel Essex' corporation is out to destroy the world.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    If it is future-future, moreso future than usual then unfortunately they won't be able to slot X-23 into any present-day X-flicks. Unless she falls through a time travel wormhole at some point. And, considering Cable is going to be a part of the X-verse, that could actually happen.

The real question is what is a viewing order pre-Logan. Yes it is (probably likely) Jackman's last run as the Merry Mutant but if one were to do something like X-Men Origins: Wolverine - X2 - Days of Future Past - The Wolverine. I think I like it better that way if only you're going from Mangold Wolverine movie to Mangold Wolverine movie. Not exactly in timeline order but, hey, close enough. (out of the X-trilogy flicks I think the most Wolverine-centric / important one would be X2)

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not sure you can really split the trilogy from the Wolverine trio for a Wolverine binge- otherwise you have him jumping from being on his own with amnesia to knowing something about his past and living with the X-Men semi-comfortably in X2. Plus you're now skipping the whole Logan/Jean material in X3 that drives him in TW (as much as one would like to skip X3, the Jean material works as a standalone experience but not if you're interweaving trilogy material).

You might actually be better off just viewing the Wolverine trio as three standalone flicks.

Well, as people were just debating it here earlier today...

24. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    I thought the Johnny Cash tune was a brilliant pick.

Darth_Invidious and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually wasn't aware of the Cash cover of that song until this trailer. I mean, it was obviously Cash- and I had to start to question which was the original and which was the cover, NIN or Cash? If only because I hadn't thought Cash was still alive at the time (turns out he died about half a year after filming the music video for the cover).

But then, I'm not exactly a Cash expert to begin with.