main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V STAR WARS REBELS (show's over, spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JoinTheSchwarz , May 20, 2013.

1. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005

It's kinda like how Cheers slavishly follows the same old characters in the same old bar. Booooooring.

2. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Starwars and Cheers are 2 completely different universes

3. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I'd be okay w/ Hondo + Kenobi v. Maul 2.0
    (Both Hondo and Maul simply call him, 'Kenobi', and not Obi-Wan, which would also ... actually work quite well. 'I've seen people from my past, but nobody used my given name, smh.")

Daneira likes this.
  4. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Are you faulting a TV show for having main characters?

5. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002

Problem with that is that Hondo and Maul are already familiar with the Ghost crew and in the eyes of the viewer, Maul is a loose thread. So if Kenobi alone kills Maul, then the Ghost crew is left without a closed plotline:

- Remember Maul Kanan?
    - Oh yeah, wonder what became of him?
    - Dunno, but somehow, I don't think you have to worry about seeing him again, Master
    - You're a jerk Ezra.

If Hondo is with Kenobi when Ben wastes Maul, how would you prevent Hondo from telling the Ghost crew about Kenobi? Only by not seeing them ever again, cause I doubt Hondo would keep the secret.

Only viable scenario given the conditions, and I'd dislike it, is that Kanan and Ezra help Kenobi deal with him but they don't know they're helping Obi-Wan (he'd shield his force presence or something). I vote he tells them his name is Larry.

And of course we'd see teen Luke. [face_sigh]

6. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    Hondo dies during the fight?
    You say that like it's a bad thing! :p

In all seriousness there's any number of ways Maul vs. Kenobi could play out that still maintain continuity, including the most direct route (which is simply Maul traveling to Tatooine and confronting Old Ben. Where is this belief that they can't or won't have a Rebels episode that doesn't feature the entire main cast coming from?)

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Kenobi and Mail are boring.

More Leia please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Havoc123 and Ender Sai like this.
  8. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Maul V Kenobi is boring regardless. It's been done 100 times previously. What makes me laugh is Filoni saying he won't do Maul V Vader as it's fan service, yet bringing in Kenobi as well as all the other IS fan service [face_laugh]

Agreed about Kenobi/Mail. Though Palpatine V the Daily Mail would be an interesting fight, in whose more evil [face_thinking]

I always thought it should have been Leia (or Bail) as Fulcrum in the S1 reveal

9. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    No. I'm not against the format of putting heavy emphaise on one crew. But that being the case does not mean that they should never go outside that perspective. I think it would also be nice if Rebels had an imperial perspective episode.

10. Ewoklord

Ewoklord Jedi Master star 2

Feb 15, 2014

Are they, though?
    [​IMG]

Are they?

[​IMG]

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Avatar the Last Airbender had main characters, but they still had episodes that focused on other characters, particularly the antagonists, and even one that didn't feature the main group at all.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ATLA is also the greatest animated show of all time. It's different.

13. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    I get why it might look boring on paper. They've fought before, we know what the outcome will be, we all read Old Wounds, etc. In the execution, though, I doubt very much their confrontation would be boring in the slightest. TCW has blessed these characters with a deeper history than they had in Old Wounds, and watching that play out with an Obi-Wan who's much closer to ANH than ROTS would be fascinating. Sure we know how the fight will end, or think we know. It's these characters, and the emotions and interactions they experience during the confrontation, that will make it more than just another lightsaber fight.

iPodwithnomusic and Jedi Ben like this.
  14. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The greatest of all time? o_O

Agree to a disagreed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--Adm. Nick

15. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

16. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Throw in 90's Spider-man and 80's/90's Ninja Turtles and you have the Royal Court of my childhood

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  17. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    While I don't think Rebels would reach the level of quality of certain superior shows including ATLA. It's not a good reason to only focus on just the Rebels crew.

And to give a non-ATLA example, one of the good things about TCW was giving us episodes that focused on the villains instead of the heroic characters. It is something that is lacking in Rebels and while the show should not copy the TCW format of following various groups, giving the baddies an episode or 2 from their eyes would benefit Rebels.

They sure missed the mark on not giving the Inquisitors their own episode.

And with the Spectacular Spiderman mention above, I have the urge to throw this out.

My favorite Spiderman show, what a shame it got cancelled after 2 seasons and replaced by the Unspectacular Spiderman.

Ultimate Spiderman just feels more childish/immature compared to its previous counterpart.

Darthmaul208 and fett 4 like this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Those are great shows -- particularly BTAS -- but I stand by it.

Also, you forgot Animaniacs and DuckTales.

19. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Animaniacs deserves all the love. Chicken Boo is TV's greatest hero

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Disc 2 of Rebels S2:

Ep 7: A B-Wing eh? And with a significant firepower upgrade too. There seems to be a direction towards making fighters considerably more dangerous to larger ships.

Ep 8: Didn't care much for this but it was OK. Neat cameo from R2 and what is clearly a blue exchange of mutual contempt between R2 and Chopper.

Ep 9: Interdictor cruiser!? Oh hell, how very neat.

Ep 10: Stealing Force-strong kids? Say that has a sense of deja vu, didn't some bastard try that before? Oh yeah, so they did - good TCW link and Ahsoka's back. I can't say I'm finding the new Inquisitors to really be the equal of their predecessor though.

Ep 11: The start of a mid-season finale, this has an interesting inversion - it starts off with big action sequences and becomes quiet as it goes on, ending on a solemn note for Ezra.

Ep 12: How do you screw over a cocky Imperial lieutenant that wrecks your inital plan? This is how in a quite daring heist that Leia is heavily involved in.

All in all it's a good set of eps, with a variety of tone and story types that add up to consistent entertainment. Good stuff.

Gorefiend and Cynical_Ben like this.
  21. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Dude, that posts proves you need a Twitter account. :p

*snicker*

22. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Like I'd enter that hive of scum and villainy.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  23. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    I do hope there's a standalone Kenobi/Maul episode without the crew. Or just do it as a few Kenobi's Journal issues in the comic.

Maybe they could use some Sith sorcery in the duel to explain the rapid aging from McGregor to Guinness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    We don't need a convoluted excuse for that, you just age harder in the desert. And going by the Legends dates, Obi-Wan was 57 in ANH, Alec Guinness was 61. Ewan McGregor was 35 in RoTS, so 53 nineteen years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    force mask

boom