main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Nobility titles and naming conventions?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havoc123, Feb 5, 2015.

1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Nothing screams lack of imagination like trying to wedge blatant references to real cultures into a completely fictional universe with no basis in our own history. It's never done well, and more often than not it's just going to end up being offensive.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I prefer some original titles here and there. Perhaps have a culture led by an "Optimal Chairman" or "High Kinleader."

You run the risk of sounding dorky but on the other hand, you don't just shamelessly appropriate.

Another option is what Allston did with Adumar -- their leader is called a perator, which reminds you of nothing else than Imperator. But not only did he chop off letters, but it reminds one of the High Galactic for father -- pera. Given patriarchy and given the archaic dialect, it turns into a wonderfully clever title.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just wondering, when do it become "shamelessly appropriation"?

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Using the title used for a spiritual successor to a specific religious or cultural context. Eg caliph or apostle.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Apostle is also an ordinary English word, though.

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

It can be argued that "caliph" by now is as well.

Havoc123 likes this.
  7. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    I actually don't mind the use of Caliph, Emir etc. After all there's a lot of English terms used in the SW Galaxy that specifically came from a sort of specific real-world origin. Genocide for example wasn't even a coined as a term up until WW2.

I assume the titles developed naturally on those planets' cultures.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    There's a difference between coming from a context but later evolving (count = Latin comes, or companion, and emperor once specifically only had a Roman context -- even admiral has Arabic roots) and meaning something very specific.

For instance, Brahmin is a word in English too. So is padre. Just because a word isn't Sapa Inca doesn't mean it's not using a cultural term for "flavor".

I don't think you can draw any hard lines. But I do think it's problematic.

And when you do start calling some person the Huangdi, is it a human? An alien? Is it better or worse if they look Chinese?

Also, genocide is highly inapposite -- that's just neologism.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    When it comes to caliph so do I think that not that many people, at least before IS, know that it was a also a religious title. To me for example it was just a king/kaiser like title in arabic fairy-tales and franco-belgian comics

[​IMG]

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    really? I mean, I'm a history buff so I paid attention to this stuff but it was definitely taught in elementary school. And we definitely learned about caliphs in more detail in high school.

I'm always shocked with people not knowing about Muslim prayer customs or any of that either. Again, grade school. I know the average person doesn't pay attention in school, but damn.

Revyl Ren, Ulicus and BobaMatt like this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have we seen 'pharaoh' being used in SW?

12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014

And the Rebels should have sung: "Too late to be known as Sheev the First, he should have been known as Sheev the Worst." :p

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    "A pox on that phony emperor! "

Iron_lord and PCCViking like this.
  14. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    YES! So glad I'm not the only one who can't hear the word "caliph" without thinking of that guy.

Revyl Ren, MercenaryAce and Gamiel like this.
  15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You lot didn't want an aristocracy and look where it got you.

Ulicus likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I didn't have any say in the matter.

17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    you could move to England!

Ulicus likes this.
  18. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Why is everyone treating these titles as timeless absolutes when they varied highly depending on both place and time?

Daneira likes this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Star Wars is a fantasy based on particular times and settings, though.

20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I guess this is the thread for this: If Wat Tambor is an emir, does he own emirates? This is a matter I have pondered at great length. Length being relative here to how much time the rest of humanity spent pondering it.

Bly, Gorefiend and Gamiel like this.
  21. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I always interpreted "Emir" as a governorial title used by the CIS.

22. Bly

Bly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    Tambor's title being changed to Emir was one of those early TCW changes that just felt weird to me, as if they wanted to make him feel:

A) Exotic and alien

and

B) reflect the fact he was supposed to be running the show on Ryloth I guess?

But I really really liked Foreman better cause it just fit so well with the whole vibe of the Techno Union and Tambor himself. Emir just feels exotic for the sake of exoticness.

That does raise an interesting point with regards to LI's earlier point about the usage of foreign IRL titles in Star Wars. For me, if the title makes sense (like an Emir ruling an Emirate or a Sultan ruling, well, a Sultanate), then alright fair enough. But sometimes things get really weird---say what you will about the Swokes Swokes but at least their Caliphs were governmental figures. I've always wondered who the heck came up with the name for these guys. :p

vncredleader likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Emir is awkward and vaguely culturally inappropriate, but I can live with it so long as they aren't slapping Tambor's name on limmie jerseys :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bly likes this.
  24. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I interpreted it that Wat as an Emir as well as Techno Union foreman. In Star Wars, it seems common for nobles to go into business - see Baron Tagge.

I have to disagree with that. It is the most mishmash of all mishes and mashes.

Plus, it is likely that there is a large amount of in universe variance, particularly with the possibility of rich people buying planets and then writing the planetary constitutions to make themselves nobles, without paying careful attention to preexisting standards.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's a mishmash of certain places and times. The wars of the early 20th century. The American Revolution. Rome. etc.

It does, also, pull from other eras and periods, particularly as the Prequels went on. Amidala wore clothing that was a blend of Chinese and Mongolian traditions, but I always felt that was a little cringeworthy -- as if the costume designers felt that it was perfectly possible to throw those very different cultures into a blender as long as it looked good.

But that's a longer, more complicated discussion. The more we pull in, the more mishmash it feels (add in TCW for instance, and we get this business with space Ottomans and all the rest).

How appropriate is that, though?