main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Rogue One Box Office Discussion

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by AmidalaLover, Dec 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Eh, I don't know. You really didn't know what was a spoiler and what was false, and I think a lot of the ones that got it right were just guessing right. There were LOADS of spoilers everywhere that were wrong. Luke Skywalker turns to the dark side, or dies? Rey's parents revealed? Hayden appears as a force ghost? Palpatine returns? If any of those wrong ones were by coincidence right, would that have made them a spoiler? Just by the law of avrages, with the sheer amount of speculation and guesses the right information will be out there somewhere in between loads of falsehoods.

2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    a million chimpanzees with typewriters! not completely unlike box office predictions...

Lee_ likes this.
  3. raefinnpoe

raefinnpoe Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    well the darkside luke thing was stupid. the palpatine thing was stupid. the hayden thing was stupid.
    guessing rey's parents being revealed wouldnt have been that much of a stretch, like i said, they kept kylo's a pretty good secret right to the end.

4. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, but what was stupid, what was real, what was rumor, not much was really clear. What was "secret" wasn't really clear, because a lot of what people were doing was guessing and speculating, which turned into rumors, some of which turned out to be true, some didn't. I think overall they did a good job of keeping things quiet. Reliable spoilers really weren't right in your face at any time, which, given this is SW, would mean they did a good job.

5. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    i just loved how everyone was a cyborg rumors.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm not sure what any of this has to do with the box office for Rogue One. Let's stay on topic.

7. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I think roge won will make a lot off money!

:cool:

8. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    With the increasing enthusiasm for Rogue One in Malaysia, I hope it can knock Furious 7 off the Malaysian international film box office top spot even by just a million (F7 has made MYR60m thus far)... Potentially making it the most successful Star Wars movie ever screened in Malaysia, as a result!

Of course this can be seen as a tall order since the much-hyped The Force Awakens only managed to gross around MYR26m, by the way - although I'm optimistic of this first of the SW Anthology movie's chances! ^:)^

9. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Sounds like ticket sales will be announced tomorrow.

10. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Tom Hanks movie looks floparific. Hard Potter spin-off looks like the year's penultimate box office behemoth, unless Moana does Frozen money.

11. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    i dont even think potter is goinna do that great. least not here.

12. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    It doesn't sound to me like theres a lot of hype for it..

13. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    imo its probably a nice fill in for what has been the hunger games november spot lately.

but i dont think its gonna be a blockbuster in the u.s. anyways

and a five film deal is ridiculous.

B99 likes this.
  14. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Can't wait to see how R1 does with pre sales! Even if its not close to TFA, really interested in how it does!

15. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Inferno sounds like it's going to be the end of the Dan Brown series screen adaptions. Horrific reviews and it's tracking is bad. Ten years ago it was all the rage. Now it looks to be a franchise that is DOA.

I think Fantastic Beasts is going to be a mid-tier hit at least in the North America. Like raefinnpoe said it can take THG window for November.

One thing we have not discussed is the critics reaction so far to Doctor Strange. Currently it sitting at 98% on RT. Now that is going to drop but to have only one rotten review out of 43 is pretty darn impressive. The only rotten review? Scott Mendelson. It's funny for a guy who writes on big business Hollywood, it seems like he hates big business films!

16. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Mendelson is a treat. He seems more like one of us: an enthusiastic amateur/fanboy rather than a critic or box office expert, but I kind of like that about him.

17. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    whats dr strange tracking at?

18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    $55-75 million U.S. opening weekend? $350-$450 million worldwide total? Half a Deadpool, which makes sense as it looks like about half as much fun.

19. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Not a big fan of the Harry Potter movies actually, which makes me wonder how this spinoff "Fantastic Beasts" movie will do. And committing five films to this new "franchise" even before we have seen how the first one will perform is a big risk actually - wonder if Potter fans will warm to it or not?

At the same time, Dr. Strange looks to be quite hyped-up thus far and can possibly do well in Malaysia, being a part of the successful Marvel Cinematic Universe and all (although his character isn't as "mainstream" as, say, Iron Man or Captain America)!

But things will definitely change when Rogue One promotional activities start in November, and that's when the focus for most cinema operators as well as retailers shift to this first of the Star Wars Anthology movies. Hoping to see something like that near full-size replica of the X-Wing at one of the major shopping malls here in Kuala Lumpur!

20. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    The Harry Potter movies were billions of dollars worth of nearly unmitigated mediocrity. Marvel has done better, but not by all that much in terms of quality storytelling. At the rate of 1 movie a year, maybe Star Wars can do better, but probably not over the long term. I'm sure everyone tried hard to make Rogue One a good movie, and I have no doubt I'll get my money's worth.

21. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    It's kind of amazing to note that six out of seven Star Wars films released were the highest grossing films of their respective years, the outlier being AOTC (3rd in 2002). No other film franchise comes close to that kind of track record.

EHT likes this.
  22. raefinnpoe

Dec 18, 2015
    6 out of 7 in the u.s. i believe ROTS was second WW that year.

and of course we dont count the clone wars movie.......;)

23. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Right, keeping it to live action.

B99 likes this.
  24. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    I was told in another thread that no Star Wars movie will ever again have the level of pre-release hype that The Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens enjoyed without at the very least another 10 year wait between movies.

and that's why not many people will argue that Rogue One could conceivably do better at the box office than TFA.

box office downside:
    1. not saga/our new heroes aren't in it
    2. just one year out from TFA, fatigue?
    3. TFA was a freak occurrence, and no Star Wars movie will again make that much money, particularly if they're coming in at 12 month intervals or even more frequently.
    4. reshoots? tonal inconsistency? maybe it's just not any good

box office upside:
    1. reliving Dec. 2015 all over again
    2. reliving the joy of Death Star 1
    3. OT vehicles in general at their OTyest. As OT-ish as a new movie can possibly get while still being state of the art.
    4. Vader at his prime-evil!
    5. power of Star Wars brand
    6. potential upside for foreign box office now that TFA has established a real global Star Wars presence.
    7. not a lot of competition at the box office

LANDO_ROCKS and Artoo-Dion like this.
  25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Right, all of those upsides will combine to make Rogue One a monster at the box office. But a movie can be a monster and still not make more money than TFA did. That doesn't really relate to downsides, either, it's just a very high mark. And I don't think downside number 4 above will apply, anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.