main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Moral Choices/Dilemmas of Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Dec 16, 2016.

1. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999
    ....since the Rebellion did terrible stuff too.

A complete 180 from the OT where the Rebellion seemed to be totally innocent.

Did you like this change? Or do you prefer the OT's take of the Rebellion?

whostheBossk and Jim Ryalto like this.
  2. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I like this take for sure....

IN B4 Da Lock?

3. SnokeIsAMidget

SnokeIsAMidget Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    I liked that approach, since it's the most plausible. Desperate situations call for desperate measures and, in hindsight, it's obvious that the rebellion must have had some skeletons in their closet. It also makes them a much more interesting faction in the sense that they are made up of different sub-factions that have a common goal, but do not necessarily share the same principles. I think the way they protrayed them in R1 is a net positive for the whole franchise.

4. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    Why should there be a lock?

This movie showed us the cost of war.
    In war the largest amount of deaths are of innocents.

Each new movie adds something new.

Empire Strikes Back we seen the first population center Cloud City.
    The prequels we got to see the politics.
    In this new movie we see the gritty side of war.

5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Sure. In real life, that's the way it is.
    In real life the victorious Rebels can end up just as nasty as the old dictator.

(And, InB4...)

6. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    One of the original criticisms of ANH and the OT in general, was the somewhat unsophisticated way that "good" and "bad" were depicted - shades of gray are the norm in life and I was rather pleasantly shocked by the depth given to the Rebellion.

7. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The other end... Post Endor, with the Empire fracturing piece by piece... that would have been messy politically. Lots of egos wanting the top spot. Planets wanting to go their own way.

The breakup of the USSR... It gets complicated.

Dewback and Dra--- like this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I like it because war is never black and white even if one side is errifutably evil the other will still do some suspicious things.

9. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I like this polarising viewpoint the movie provided us. Seldom is this the case in real life and this reflected well in R1.

Darth Haggai and Dra--- like this.
  10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Gritty war movie was in the marketing from day one. If you can't see the difference between the Rebels and the Empire then you need to pay closer attention.

11. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I was reading the visual guide and Tagge's line about the "rebel alliance being well too equipped" is understatement. These folks had their ducks in an order for being a resistance movement. They had a Cabinet, a High Command/Council, a Civil Government, Ministers of different organizations such as Education, industry, finance. They were ready to bring back the republic. they just needed to get rid of Old bubble head Sheev Palpatine and his "1,000-year Empire".​

whostheBossk likes this.
  12. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    That's the real life, the good guys are not that GOOD that we think, really interesting for the movie.

Dra--- and OldTimeFan like this.
  13. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    A ibit harsh ... the point (I think) was that unlike previously films where the "good guys" were unambiguously good, we got to see the Rebels make some extremely morally ambiguous choices. I don't think that anyone is lauding the Empire (or at least I'm not) but rather that at this point in the rebellion (oddly enough just before they are joined by the last Jedi apprentice in the universe), the means and ends were often difficult to reconcile.

14. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    It gives the title A New Hope a bit more power.

cerealbox likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Literally no Rebellion I can name had even half these things in real life.

16. PalpShouldLive

PalpShouldLive Jedi Master star 2

Jun 13, 2005
    The American Revolution...
    The American Revolution...?

Continental Congress and all that jazz.

17. R.D.

R.D. Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2015
    Saw Guerra's band, maybe, but the Empire here is still the unambiguously worse side that blasts open planets and even murders it's own apparently just to stick it to political rivals.

18. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    Quit it will you spoiling a good argument with awkward facts.[face_rofl]

Dewback and PalpShouldLive like this.
  19. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    How can one possibly remain good in a war? Engaging in mass death and brutality is never "good" or ethical. The ends might be good, but the means are always inherently immoral. And innocents are always caught up in the conflict.

That doesn't make the Rebels bad. It just tells us that life is too complicated for simplistic (ideological) notions of good.

What it tells my friends on the left is that we have to get our hands dirty in the fight against racism and authoritarianism. Humans aren't gods; the idea of total purity is impossible.

20. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    What i liked about rogue one was that it gave the Galactic Cival War more realism than the OT. There is more then just good and wrong. Its War so even though the Rebels are fighting for freedom, war brings the evil of both sides. I like how this new slate of star wars content really shows more views and sides of the Empire and Rebels

whostheBossk and Dra--- like this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    NVM I got a bad feeling about where that post could lead.

22. ImpreciseStormtrooper

ImpreciseStormtrooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I got the sense that the Rebellion and the Alliance were vastly different things (one being an underground militant group consisting of a constellation of disparate resistance fighters across the galaxy comprising criminals, imperial outcasts, defectors, local warlords and perhaps terrorists. The other being a high level political group comprising politicos and goverments controlling whole Star Systems left over from the Republic days).

Only when War began did they end up as one united force. Or so it seems.

23. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    IN B4 part 2 LOL :D

24. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    We were also shown why Saw Gererra's extremist movement was unsanctioned - the purpose of the little crying girl in the midst of that insurgency attack on Jedha ...

25. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    Brilliant moment this really was Star Wars for grown ups.