main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Celtic Song Challenge|All New Songs Now Claimed

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Pandora, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Twas in the merry month of May
    When green buds were a swellin’
    Sweet William on his death bed lay
    For the love of Barbriallen.

This idea had its beginnings years ago, when—let us say that it was as I was out roving on a walk--it occurred to me that Anakin and Padmé’s (justly or unjustly, depending on one’s point of view) much criticized relationship in the prequel trilogy would actually make a good deal more sense in the context of the old ballads and songs of the British Isles. They are filled with young men and their true loves who have more love than logic. And some of these young men are, quite sadly, kriffsliders who brutally attack the girls who love them, just as Anakin force-choked his wife—and, as the audience would have known without it being spelled out, the girls were pregnant.

And as for Padmé dying “of a broken heart:” it might not make sense in the real world, but in the world of the ballads, people die when their hearts break all the time.

(There is not a way that someone, somewhere, has not already written an A/P fanfiction heavily inspired by “I Am Stretched on Your Grave,” the poem written anonymously in Irish, and translated into English, and set to music. It is inevitable.)

Of course, there are many more stories in Star Wars--as many as the stars, and the variants of the traditional ballads--that can be told with the influence of these songs. But I thought I would start with one of the more obvious examples.

So: greetings, and welcome to the Celtic Song Challenge.

And slowly, slowly she got up
    And slowly she went to him
    And all she said when she got there
    “Young man, I think you’re dying.”

We have chosen twenty songs for this challenge. Obviously, this barely scratches the surface of Francis James Child’s five-volume 305 song strong The English and Scottish Popular Ballads, not to mention other sources; and it is, by necessity of a lifetime of random musical discovery, random. We have included songs from Scotland and Ireland, as well as crossing the Atlantic ocean for some North American variants, the songs of Scotch and Irish immigrants and their descendants. Most of them are traditional, the names of the writers lost to time; a few others are still credited to their lyricists, one of whom is W.B. Yeats. Fair warning: while they remain within the site TOS, these songs contain murder, bad behavior, poor logic, cruelty, jealousy, the choice between the rebellion and one's true love, a mind-scarring description of Caesarian delivery—and of course, a plethora of kriffsliders.

You can use these songs to write a re-telling, or as guides to entirely new stories. You can use the titles, or pieces of the lyrics, for your title. While we strongly discourage the writing of song fics (as that is not the point of this challenge), if you wish to write a traditional ballad from one of the worlds in that far, far away galaxy, you have our full approval.

Basically: keep to the TOS, but otherwise, have at it.

He turned his face up to the wall
    He turned his back upon her
    “Adieu, Adieu to all my friends
    Be kind to Barbriallen.”

If you wish to play, here are the rules:

*Roll a twenty-sided dice for your number. Each song may only be claimed once, so in the event that you get a number that has already been chosen, you will need to roll again. If you don’t feel comfortable playing with the dice (and it can be tricky) just let us know, and we will pick a number for you.

ETA 10.30.2018: There is presently one song available for claiming.

*Once you have a number, and the associated song, we will post—publicly in the thread, so we can share with the rest of the boards--with links to both lyrics and several videos, depending on what youtube has to offer. Of course, considering the number of variants of many of these songs, we highly encourage you to research your song further on your own if you are so inclined.

*Once you have your story posted, please share a link to it here, and we shall add it to the index.

*You may, after you finish with your first song, roll for a second one. That is the limit though, and you may not have a third.

*If you are stuck with your song, you can release it back into the fold and try again with a second one.

*There is no deadline, and there will be no prizes. There is only (lyrical, murderous) fun.

*Oh, and last, but not least: Non Star Wars fandoms are more than welcome.

They buried Sweet Willie in the old churchyard
    And Barbara in the new one
    From Willie’s grave there grew a rose
    From Barbara’s a green briar.

They grew and they grew on the old church wall
    And could not grow no higher
    And there they tied in a true love’s knot
    The rose bush and the briar.

(Lyrics from “Barbriallen.” Traditional.)

Credit goes to Ewok Poet for coining the term “kriffslider.”

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    List of Songs / Index

1. As I Roved Out/Night Visit
    2. The Star of the County Down—Winama Shiraya
    3. She Moved Through the Fair—Ceillean: Shattered
    4. Barbriallen—Chyntuck: The Tale of Noora and Seyf
    5. The Wind That Shakes the Barley—Mistress_Renata: The Wind That Shakes the Corley
    6. The Banks of Claudy—Onderon1: The Banks of Claudy
    7. The Cruel Sister / The Bonnie Swans—Pandora
    8. The Parting Glass—mavjade: For the Rebellion
    9. As I Roved Out—earlybird-obi-wan: Family
    10. Annachie Gordon—Kahara
    11. Tam Lin—A Blind Prophet
    12. The Death of Queen Jane—Cowgirl Jedi 1701
    13. The Oxford Girl / The Wexford Girl /The Knoxville Girl—Findswoman: Graceful as Water
    14. Down in the Willow Garden—AzureAngel2: "Down in the willow garden" (original version here)
    15. I Never Will Marry—AzureAngel2: "I never will marry"
    16. I Am Stretched On Your Grave—RX_Sith: 'Til Death Do Us Part
    17. Down by the Sally Gardens—Mira_Jade: An Old Song Re-Sung
    18. The Minstrel Boy—Briannakin: Ranks of Death
    19. Black Is the Colour—divapilot: Black Is the Color
    20. The Twa Corbies—Ewok Poet: Convor's Song
    21. The Lowlands of Holland—DARTH_MU: Marriage in the Last Days of the Arkadianate
    22. The Wearing of the Green—earlybird-obi-wan: Halcyon-green
    23. The Banks of the Ohio—leiamoody: Could Be
    24. The Cruel Brother—GregMcP: The Cruel Brother
    25. The Foggy Dew—Mira_Jade

Unofficial/Ad-Hoc Challenge Entries
    Barbriallen—Ewok Poet: Drops of Mustafar
    I Am Stretched on Your Grave—Findswoman: In Your Vault, In Your Mists, In Your Song
    I Never Will Marry—Briannakin: I Never Will See Her No More
    The Death of Queen Jane—Ewok Poet: Another Day to Live, Another Night to Die

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Ewok Poet, Kahara and Pandora like this.
  3. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Oh my goodness, these would be EPIC in the GFFA :D

I have too much already, but I can't resist!

And I get "The Cruel Sister". Sibling rivalry and murder....awesome! ;)

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  4. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Raissa Baiard: Yes, I think these songs could be as epic as a metal cello solo (sorry--wrong genre) in that far, far away galaxy.

It sounds as though you're already familiar with your song, but for those reading this thread who are not: also known as "The Twa Sisters," it is indeed about sibling rivalry that ends in murder, and it gets weirder after that. Oh, and yes, these sisters--or one of them at least--are fighting it out over yet another Sweet William. Come on, ladies: he is totally not worth killing over.

And here are a few versions from the bounty of youtube. Everything is under the spoiler cut because that is how the code insists on going, and nothing I do will convince it otherwise.

First, here is Loreena McKennitt performing her version, under the title "The Bonny Swans":

This second version is by the Scottish folk group Old Blind Dogs (you can see the lyrics here):

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I shouldn't... but I'm going to.

Rolling now.

Raissa Baiard and Findswoman like this.
  6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Findswoman told me to do this, so I am doing it...

EDIT: Yay, I got the one I wanted. :D

Findswoman likes this.
  7. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Briannakin: And you have received "Tam Lin." All I will write for my opening about this song is: when the Faerie Queen rises, "and an angry woman was she," to speak the last words, it might indicate the ending isn't as happy as it previously looked.

The lyrics, with links to a trove of further information

I should admit here that I dislike the most popular versions of this song--obviously, it is just my subjective taste, but I find them to sound far too "modern"--but I will post them here.

First, this version by Fairport Convention:

And this one, by Steeleye Span:

Briannakin , Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  8. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    All right, now, let's see here...

EDIT: Got "The Oxford [Wexford, Nashville] Girl." That's one of the ones I don't know, so I'll be very curious to learn more about it. :)

Kahara likes this.
  9. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Ewok Poet: You have received "The Twa Corbies." A touching tale to be sure--where after you leave this mortal coil, everyone abandons you save the scavengers. At least, in this colder, harsher version. In the English song "The Three Ravens," your hounds and hawk remain loyal, and your lover goes off to die as true love claims another victim.

My apologies--I think I just had a sass overload.

Here are the lyrics.

And a few versions from youtube:

Old Blind Dogs:

Steeleye Span:

The Corries:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  10. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Okay, I have got to do this! :D

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  11. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Whoohoo! Terrible abusive parenting and everybody dies! (I love the Loreena McKennitt version.)

Edit: sorry for the double post, I wasn't sure if it would mess with the dice throw.

12. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Findswoman: "The Knoxville Girl" (which I remembered incorrectly as "The Nashville Girl") is an American variant of a song known in the UK as "The Wexford Girl" or "The Oxford Girl." The basic story remains the same in all three versions: it is a classic murder ballad, featuring a classic kriffslider as its narrator.

And it is quite the bouncy tune too, considering the subject matter: it is (to quote Alex Bender writing on the Order of the Good Death blog) a "deceptively sunny-sounding tune; indeed, there's nary a minor chord in the entire song."

A version of the lyrics

And some videos:

"The Knoxville Girl":

"The Oxford Girl":

13. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Kahara: Whoohoo! Terrible abusive parenting and everybody dies!

Oh yes: it does not get much better (and by better, I mean much more terrible) than this one.

Lyrics

And a few videos:

Loreena McKennitt:

Mary Black:

Ewok Poet, Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  14. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Now, I shall commit the sin of triple posting, because I never can resist an opportunity to throw the die.

And edited in: And I have No. 19--"Black is the Colour." I have done well with this throw.

Lyrics

And videos:

Christy Moore:

Gaelic Storm:

15. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I used an online dice and got a 5. Does that count? Or is there another program?

Wait, just found the program and it gave me a three. I like 5 better. I know what to do with 5.

16. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Pandora I was familiar with the Steeleye Span version, I like them. :) But I'm afraid that, as a non-native speaker who did not major in English (for the equivalent of minoring at my uni, we only did contemporary language), I'll be needing this "translation":
    http://www.twocrows.co.uk/twa_corbies.html

Kahara likes this.
  17. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Drinky crow, yo ho ho...

Got a three....need to roll again...

Well, that didn't work...I can try three. (I prefer "Down by the Sally Gardens" for the record).

Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  18. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Number 5 has not yet been chosen, and so it most definitely counts.

You have received "The Wind That Shakes the Barley." This ballad, unlike the older traditional ones, has a credited author--it was written by Irish poet and professor Robert Dwyer Joyce in the 19th Century, and is set during the 1798 Irish Rebellion. Let us just say that the Star Wars story possibilities are very strong with this one.

Lyrics

And a few videos:

Dead Can Dance:

Loreena McKennitt:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2023
    Kahara likes this.
  19. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    Ewok Poet: Thank you for linking to that "translation" of your song--to be honest, the archaic language of the original is probably incomprehensible to many native English speakers. (There was a time when I was considering studying late Elizabethan/Jacobean tragedy at a master's level, so I probably had an unconscious advantage there.)

leiamoody: You have received "She Moved Through the Fair." I can sum this song up with one sentence: Once again, true love has proven to be naught but true pain.

Lyrics

And an assortment of videos:

Van Morrison & the Chieftains:

Sinéad O'Connor:

Loreena McKennitt:

Findswoman , Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I shouldn't, I shouldn't... but since there's no deadline I might just as well sign up.

EDIT: Barbriallen it is!

21. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, my Scottish blood is pumping to write a good fic now - you have such a good selection here, and a few that I now need to check out for myself. Thanks for hosting this challenge, guys! :D

EDIT: So, it looks like 5 and 10 were chosen? 17 it is, and what a fine pick if I do be saying so myself. [face_thinking]

22. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    OK, the index should be all up to date now—please let me know if anything doesn't look right, or if I've missed anyone or anything.

Wonderful to see so many people stepping up to this, and looking forward to seeing the resulting stories! :)

Ewok Poet, Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  23. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Öh, I would have loved to participate, but I did not understand how to throw that computer dice! Can anyone please explain that to me very slooooooooowly, because I am just used to a dice in RL?!?

And am I still allowed to participate? [face_nail_biting]

Kahara likes this.
  24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    AzureAngel2, here's how to throw the die in a forum post: once you've made your post (which you have), look in the lower right-hand corner of the post and you'll see "More Options." Click that, then click "throw a dice," and then you'll be prompted for the number of faces (in this case 20; you don't have to enter anything for "throwing dice for"). And then it should throw a dice for a random number between 1 and 20. :)

Or, if you prefer, Pandora or I would be glad to throw the dice for you.

Kahara likes this.
  25. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    * has DarthUncle talking to her non-stop now, also laughing at her for being so clueless

So, I can chose between "14. Down in the Willow Garden" and "6. The Banks of Claudy" now, right?