main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Finn and Rey's Cat Cantina and Pizza Parlor (The Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    My paternal grandmother was twenty-nine for years. She used to complain at great length about my father's beard, saying that it made him look like he was a thousand years old. (My father only said in explanation: "If I look like I'm a thousand, then what does that say about her?) She did not take to aging kindly, and when she stopped dyeing her hair, that was not a good sign. Once, when I was in high school, she took a pen to a photograph that included her and drew a large X over her stomach accompanied by the words "TOO FAT." She is no longer amongst the living, but so long as I live, her vanity and stubbornness endure.

I haven't seen much benefit to getting older--besides, of course, the fact that the alternative is being dead. It's a constant shock: I am no longer young, but I don't look my age, and I froze in place emotionally around the age of twenty-four. When my parents were the age I am now, they were grown-ups; I don't know what I am.

The night before my thirtieth birthday, I used it as an excuse to think of the varied sorts of ******** I was no longer going to tolerate. The last night of my thirties, I didn't even bother. The ******** keeps on flowing, and the beat goes on.

2. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    Watched Rogue One in theaters again, can't wait till it comes out on Blu-Ray/DVD. I probably might hold off on writing more for my Star Wars fanfic so I can see if I can't dig up more ways to tie in Bria Tharen's Red Hand Squadron mission to the events of Rogue One. I tend to watch the source material while writing a lot.

3. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm looking forward to turning 50. It's a good, round number. 40 was okay, but 30 sucked and 20... ugh, don't get me started.

I need to work a bit on the wrinkles though. I have a head start on white hair, but my wrinkles are very deficient ;)

I too went to the women's march here in Athens yesterday, from parliament to the US embassy (and, surprisingly enough, there was no teargas!). We didn't have the pink hats, but there were lots of refugee women who turned up and they were wearing bright pink headscarves. #win

EDIT: mavjade Here's another sign that I think you'll like (spoiler tag for size)
    [​IMG]

mavjade and Gamiel like this.
  4. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    I would have been in DC with my sister except for being swamped with work. My son marched in NYC.

mavjade and Chyntuck like this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Woke at 12:20pm, dismayed that I had overslept and missed the doctors appointment that I had taken the morning off work to attend.

Washed and dressed for work, lamenting that I had not done any laundry on Sunday, then slowly realised I could remember nothing of that day.

Noticed my smartphone say it was Sunday 22nd, but did not believe it, though at the back of my mind, I think I noticed the BBC website reporting on the 600 womens' marches, which was Saturday.

Thought I would test the Doctors answering service, since they are closed on Sunday, and while it did not put me through to Reception, I was wary of using it as the reason why I did not go to work at all.

Eventually phoned my Mum as someone I trusted enough to tell me if today was Monday or Sunday.

So, it is Sunday! I don't have to make excuses or apologies for missing my appointment. However, I'm all dressed for work, and got within a moort hair of starting my commute!

jcgoble3 and Chyntuck like this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have been 30 for a month and a bit now and I can not say I feel any different. But that maybe because I have not had time to relax, the whole of December was full of stuff and I have been working on a home paper until this Friday.

But celebrating my birthday was rather good. Because of how not all my family could come on the celebration day, I was honoured four times (the weekend before, the exact middle-of-the-week date, the weekend after and once more on Monday with my godmother) ad to that that my family association had a gathering with lots of good food and you get me eating good with good company for to many days. :)

7. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, it's not like I get to do them every single day... [face_blush] Most of the time I'm pretty boring.

Hmm...for me, I think I love Wedge because he defied the stereotype. Up until then, in any science fiction movie (or war movie), the hero goes out on a mission with a bunch of random guys, and all of them die. The only one who lives is the hero. The Red Shirts from Star Trek, none of them come back. Wedge doesn't have any special Jedi powers, he's not the hero, he's not a high ranking general, he's really no one special, BUT...he goes out, does his job, and doesn't die. He's like a metaphor for Everyman. So that's why I love the pilots. They're just average people against overwhelming odds with no special Force abilities, but they go out anyway and do their jobs and try to make a difference. Just like a lot of people IRL.

I do that sometimes. It helps me remember the 'tone'. Then again, it's not like I need an excuse to re-watch the movies!

I was at the March in DC yesterday. So many people, but everyone was happy and excited. Even when there were crowds and lines, people were pretty cheerful about it. I can't believe they marched in Antarctica! So many great signs, but this was my favorite:

which Mark Hamill has on his Twitter: We are the Resistance. I wish Carrie was alive to see all of this!

Chyntuck, Sith-I-5 and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Welcome to the club Sith-I-5 [:D] It happened to us on the Epiphany, and my husband was half-way to work when he realised everything was closed.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

Sith-I-5 likes this.
  10. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I think we wrongly assume that once we reach certain ages we will either be 'cool', mature or people will see us as adults and not little children. But once we turn that age we realize that there's no magical transformation and we go from one state to another.

My Mom's turning 60 next month and in her mind she's fat. She likes to talk about how she weighed 120 pounds, or there about since high school and was able to get back to that weight after having Harley and Raquel and maybe even me; she's about 139 pounds now. When I try to reason with her that she's had nine children and had a lot of stress and that if she's fat then I am as well being 155ish and she insists that I'm not fat but she is. Finally I asked her if she got down to 135 or 130 would she be happy or would she still bemoan how she used to weigh 120 or just below and I hope it made her stop and think about why she wants to lose weight: is it to feel better about herself like she has mentioned or is it because 'I was 120 when I graduated high school, I was 120 when I got married (both times), I returned to 120 after I had some of my children and etcetera, etcetera, etcetera so I must return to that weight.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. Theodore Hawkwood

Jun 17, 2014
    Ewok Poet. No my fanfic isn't about that. It's actually a Star Wars/Kingdom Hearts/Wolfenstein crossover which features multiple universes:

• The Star Wars and Legends Universe
    • A Star Wars AU where Anakin made the choice to assist Windu and kill Palpatine
    • An AU Wolfenstein where the SS Paranormal Division manages to create dimension jumping technology and have annexed a different dimension.
    I created said 'different dimension' out of inspiration by visiting the Universal Theme Park Islands of Adventure. The Port of Entry and Lost Continent Islands inspired that world. They say we have original characters. I think I wound up creating an original world/semi-original world...

12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hey guys, let's remember the social thread isn't the place to discuss specific fics, our own or other people's.
    - - -

Chyntuck I do love that sign and of course who is holding it! :D It's glorious!

I had a really hard time at 25 and a few years after, but by the time I hit 30, I was quite glad to be out of my 20's and to move onto a new chapter in my life.

There's been a joke in my family for years that my parents would get great grandchildren before I had kids and gave them more grandchildren, and today I learned it's true. For a moment I thought my dad wouldn't do his asking for me to have kids soon, but nope. When my mom said when my niece-in-law was due my dad said, "I guess you're not due at all." LOL. (FYI, I don't mind my parents bugging me for grandkids. I know they don't see me just as a baby making machine, and if I said I didn't want to have kids, they'd be fine with that, as they were with my brother. They know I want kids, just not right this red hot second.)

13. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Today's been eight years since one of the strangest days of my entire life. I thought I'd acknowledge that and add to the topic of "having a really hard time at 25". Or, even, nobody likes you when you're 25. Am I glad to be in my thirties, after all. Adulting is scary in general, but ain't it grand at the same time?

Kahara and mavjade like this.
  14. Theodore Hawkwood

Jun 17, 2014
    My apologies. I should've sent that reply in a PM.

mavjade likes this.
  15. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I first saw the reveal for the title on my boyfriend's screen a bit aways from where I was and I thought it was something about Stranger Things (because of the way the red font showed). So now I'm calling it Stranger Star Wars. :p But I like the title, I think they'll do much more with it than what is obvious.

Chyntuck likes this.
  17. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005

It, um, sounds familiar. :p

leiamoody, Chyntuck and Kahara like this.
  18. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I actually found out from your post! I LIKE it. I think it might lend a leg to my own personal theory (that Luke went into hiding to "end" the Jedi and thus trained Force users since Kylo isn't exactly that knowledgeable about the Force IMO) Though I've already been making "The Last Crusade" jokes.

In other news. I JUST SENT IN MY APPLICATION FOR THE MASTER'S PROGRAM I REALLY WANT TO GET IN. AHHHHHHHH! ADULTING FREAKING ME OUT. IF I DON'T GET IN, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING WITH MY LIFE!

19. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I've done that. Made it as far as the train station once before I figured it out. So embarrassing. I slunk back home in a very bad mood.

The title of Ep 8 sound a bit ominous & depressing. Sounds as if we're going to lose Luke? (Unless he becomes a blue ghost). And we're losing Leia for sure, whether in 8 or in 9. All of the big Three GONE. :_| I mean, I know the idea was to pass the reins to a new generation, but I sort of wanted SOMEONE to have a happy ending! I am holding out for Lando retired on a beach someplace like Scarif, with lovely young women fawning over him, and dying peacefully in his bed!!! No one is going to tell me otherwise!!!!!

You'll breathe, you'll work or intern or get more experience in whatever field you're aiming for, and you'll try again, worst case scenario. When I was thinking about applying for grad schools, I went for an interview with the director of the program I wanted. She looked over my transcripts and pointed out some weak spots, so I buffed them up by taking a few independent classes where I was weakest, and I got in when I finally applied. You'll be fine. [:D] Take advantage of whatever free time you have to write or read for fun or do whatever hobbies you enjoy, because when grad school started, I lost all of that.

It's like Kamino here. And while the snow deluge on California seems horrible, they really need it to ease drought conditions. Tornados in Georgia! Weather is craaaaazy.

Chyntuck, Briannakin and Kahara like this.
  20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I really don't think they intend to kill off Luke in 8. The title to me sounds like he is the last survivor. It's a strong title. Plus, I think they would have saved Luke's death for the epic finale. But now that they are sorta forced to deal with Leia's absence in 9 and (this technically isn't a spoiler since it came from high up but is still a hefty bit of info) they have already announced that they have no plans to re-create her via CGI, I don't think we will see an on-screen death for Luke. But I might be totally wrong (I mean, if they put Leia's death in 8, I can totally see him going in 9).

But that Lando scene [face_laugh] Someone needs to write that fic!

Thanks. If I don't get in, I might apply for the 10 month internship at a local chaplaincy. It's the same internship my roommate did to kill 10 months before he found a job. It might be a good way for me to buff up my résumé and kill some time before other grad programs open up again. My transcript doesn't really need to be buffed up, but I am stupidly close to a second degree in Political Science and/or Economics, so I might just go back for another two years and get a second BA. So I do have options, but non are super interesting to me.

Chyntuck likes this.
  21. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    It does, doesn't it? On the other hand, I'm kind of surprised that Lucas would let EU authors use such a big, obvious title for what was after all peripheral characters (which isn't to say that I don't like Jax Pavan and Ferus Olin, quite the opposite -- just that their stories aren't exactly central to SW lore.)

I'm not too sure what I think about it as a title for a heavy-duty film though. I guess it means that we'll see a lot more of Luke, which is cool, and it will leave us speculating until 15 December, which is also going to be fun :D But I also find it so "obvious" that I feel it was a bit anti-climatic as a big title reveal.

Mistress_Renata I definitely, definitely want to read a fic about Lando lounging on a beach in his old age [face_laugh]

Briannakin Sounds to me like you have a lot of options :) Where and what is the masters programme you're applying for?

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Hey, The Last Jedi could be just 2 hours of Luke staring at Rey and I'd still see it 5 times :p

Oh, the program I applied for is a Museum Studies MA at the University of Leicester. It's a part time online program so I won't have to leave Canada. It (stupidity) was the only master's program I applied for because applications are stupidly expensive and I really don't feel like moving right now. Idk. I just don't want to have to move to go to school, only to have to move again to get a job. I SHOULD get in, but I don't want to jinx it so I'm being negative and doubtful. EVERY BODY KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!

Chyntuck likes this.
  23. whiskers

May 19, 2005

Well, Lucas isn't in charge anymore, but this has happened before in Disney's canon.

Episode VII was originally titled Shadow of the Empire before the similarity to Shadows of the Empire was pointed out. I guess the larger popularity of Shadows is what nixed it, compared to Last Jedi.

There's Claudia Gray's Bloodline and Karen Traviss's Bloodlines.

Empire's End, the final entry in the Aftermath Trilogy and Empire's End, the final entry of the Dark Empire Trilogy.

And, while not officially used by Disney, a sci-fi magazine cover released around the time of Rogue One was subtitled "Rebel Dawn", like the last of Crispin's Han Solo books.

Chyntuck likes this.
  24. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Oh yes, there's no doubt that Disney is re-using titles from the old EU, but what all these titles have in common is that they're awfully predictable, you know what I mean? If we went and counted how many times some version of the words "shadow" or "legacy" is used in EU titles, we would probably freak out. Now if Disney called the Han Solo film "The Paradise Snare" or "The Hutt Gambit", I would view that in a very different light.

leiamoody, Gamiel and whiskers like this.
  25. whiskers

May 19, 2005

There was a running joke on Lit several years back about how overused "Dark" was in titles.

Mistress_Renata and Chyntuck like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.