main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC17 How should Celebration remember Carrie Fisher?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Freelancer257, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
    This will be the first Celebration since Carrie Fisher's death. How do you think she should be remembered at the event?

2. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I would really like for them to put Leia on the adult 4 day pass (and R2-D2 on the 4 day kids pass).
    The 4 day pass is the most exposed throughout the event and I think Carrie (and Kenny) deserve to have their 'image' on the one thing that most people will have and carry during the event.

More badges will be made, than what we have seen of the released images, but I am affraid, that we have seen the 4 day and single day badge images in the released artwork, though I still hope.
    I also wrote to Celebrations Facebook page suggesting this, and they have responded to my post, though just with a "thanks for the interest".

3. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    I'm sure part of the 40th Anniversary Panel will have a tribute of some sort. A video tribute followed by people like Hamill, Daniels and Mayhew saying a few words. You could have her daughter on stage if it's something she'd like. A big banner inside the main entrance. Wizard World New Orleans had a big banner fans could write tributes on. There is a lot you can do.

Padme501st likes this.
  4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    A fairly easy thing, that would still mean a lot to people, is probably to have a condolences book that people could sign.

5. Echosen

Echosen Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    I think having something at the entrance that pays respect and at the same time reminds every1 that this is a celebration of her life.

6. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I think the best way would be at the 40th Anniversary Panel then maybe another with her daughter if she would be willing to show up and do one.

Padme501st likes this.
  7. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    There's a fan-run event happening on Thursday night -"Drowning in Moonlight" it's a charity fundraising gala in memory of Carrie Fisher, raising money for one of her preferred organizations, The Midnight Mission. We're going to have a silent auction, and a live podcast recording session with a ton of cool guests.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/drowni...in-honor-of-carrie-fisher-tickets-31207306895

DATE AND TIME

Thu, April 13, 2017
    7:30 PM – 10:30 PM EDT

Rosen Centre Hotel - Poolside
    9840 International Drive
    Orlando, FL 32819

DarthBreezy likes this.
  8. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    There is going to be a Leia/Carrie Fisher tribute photo on Friday 3 pm. It's fan run and I'm trying to find details about the location.

9. Echosen

Feb 1, 2017
    I would like to participate in this tribute photo. Just curious, how do u find out about stuff like this?

10. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm a member of the 501st and Rebel Legion, and that is where I pick up information about photos.

Alison Organa likes this.
  11. Alison Organa

Alison Organa Jedi Knight star 1

May 4, 2016
    I've thought about this a long time, because I'm obviously a Carrie Fisher fan. I was going to go to the "Drowning in Moonlight" event, but I don't have a costume and frankly, I don't want to wear black tie attire. My main reason - I think it'd be too sad. I've never grieved for a "movie star" the way I have for Carrie. I sincerely miss her on Twitter and I think the best way I can honor her is to hug Mark Hamill and say thank you to him for showing up. I'm glad Mark is doing an remembrance panel for her. I'll be at that.

12. Echosen

Feb 1, 2017
    I'll be going to the Drowning In Moonlight, not in costume. When i read it said dress up or dress up, "black tie optional", my interpretation, esp with some people in costume was that one didn't have to dress too formal, just don't go looking like one came off the beach. Ill bring a sport coat just to be safe. This is art work i submitted earlier this week, Ill have about 60-70 of these soft enamel pins we are taking to the event. we will be handing some out and look to donate some at the event for their fundraising efforts.
    [​IMG]

jawajames likes this.
  13. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I think having Mark do a panel just for her tribute is one of the best decisions and I'm so glad he is doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alison Organa likes this.
  14. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, it should be pretty special.

15. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    As one of the organizers for Drowning in Moonlight, I'd like to let everyone know that while we'd like it to be a black tie event, we know that people are coming in from all over, and bringing / wearing formalwear can be a pain, especially after a full day at the con, so it's more of a guideline than a dress code. i'm on the committee, and i'm probably just going to wear a suit.

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    As someone who literally owes her life to Carrie, I'll be there.

A few days after we got 'the news', I decided that all things considered, I should at least check in with my PCP - I had to cut my own pre Christmas trip to London short, and had still felt 'off' - so in I went.

Only to be told by my Cardiologist to go STRAIGHT to the ER where I had to overnight and have a cath exam (it's a trippy procedure where they stick a camera through a vein in your arm to your heart where they can see it in real time.) I have a change and a load of new meds now to prevent the cardiac event that was waiting silently for me, and the little red mark on my wrist to remind me of her...[face_love]

Chewies_bandolier and Padme501st like this.
  17. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I was just at WonderCon in Anaheim today and attended a very nice tribute panel to both Carrie Fisher and Kenny Baker. Members of the 501s Legion, Rebel Legion, Mandalorian Mercs, R2 Builders Club, and a couple of others each got up and spoke about how much Carrie meant to them. They shared personal stories about the impact she had on their lives, with some having never even met her. They felt proud that they would continue her legacy as many of them frequently cosplay as Leia. It was very touching. One representative from the R2 Builder's club spoke of a similar impact Kenny had on him personally as well as the club. And those who put on the panel said they felt this was the best opportunity to do it on the West Coast. Several of the speakers will be attending Celebration to hold similar tributes to Carrie and Kenny.

In fact, attending this panel made me wonder if TFN should have more representation at these events. And not just in cases like this, but in general. This is a great SW community here, and SW means a great deal to most of us who are on here, from what I've seen it's pretty much the central hub of SW discussion on the internet. I think TFN could have it's own booth and be better represented during panels at events like Celebration and other Cons.

Padme501st likes this.
  18. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Rebel Scum and TFN will have a table at Celebration. Rebelscum.com/TheForce.net table is #1955 on the show floor map. It's right across from the Madalorian Mercs booth according to the map. In years past there was much more involvement. We used to throw our own party years ago. A lot of the FanForce groups moved on to other formats like Facebook or disbanded during the movie lull. Honestly the site owners didn't have the interaction here with the user base like they do over at Rebel Scum once Phillip Wise bought it in my opinion. They could do a lot more to make this site relevant again but for some reason when the new movies came out they didn't. This used to be the go to place for everything Star Wars but podcasts and other sites took the torch for whatever reason with spoilers and real content keeping people coming here. I feel like all they do is post news other people break now.

Alison Organa and DieWompRatDie like this.
  19. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Rox:

There's just such a lack of visibility for this forum. I remember hearing about it way back when a buddy of mine mentioned he was on it. And it wasn't until I had such a great experience at Celebration Anaheim that I decided I wanted more involvement in the SW community. So right after, I looked this place up (literally my join date is the day after Celebration Anaheim). But had I not heard about it previously, I wouldn't know where to go. And from what I've seen this is still the central hub of SW discussion on the web. I think a lot of that other stuff takes place because they simply don't know about TFN. Imagine how much membership would go up if TFN had a booth at Celebration and/or at other Cons. And how much other SW related media could use TFN as a resource AND an outlet for their material. There are so many passionate fans here, fans you wouldn't find anywhere else on the web, who have equally as passionate views about SW as anyone else, that I think this place deserves more representation than what I've seen since I've been in the Con circuit these past couple of years.

I don't mean to detract from the topic. I was just responding to you. And I think in this case it's relevant. Because I'm sure there are many here who are just as deserving and could just as well get up and talk about Carrie and Kenny in the same way.

20. Lane_Winree

Lane_Winree Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2006
    And to expand on this, I'm one of the other event organizers and I'll be present wearing shorts and a t-shirt (as will many others) as I'll be racing there from a panel I'm moderating right before it starts.

Tone wise, I can say there's a reason we have this as a 16+ event. The last thing any of us wanted was for this to be a maudlin, depressing event so the programming has been intentionally set up to be poignant sure, but mostly funny/irreverent/ and even a bit vulgar because none of us want to spend the whole night mourning.

(For example, we have one particular Star Wars literature guest who we're going to ask to give us a workshop on creative and colorful cursing)

I definitely understand if this isn't for you, and that's totally okay! Just want to make sure it's clear this is very much going to be a comfortable (and colorful) celebration of Carrie Fisher.

jawajames and Alison Organa like this.
  21. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    At the Carrie tribute panel I was at yesterday one of the speakers had said she was invited to attend her memorial service here in the Los Angeles area. She spoke of how she was initially hesitant, thinking she was taking the place of someone who actually knew her. However, it was the family's wishes that public guests also be included, as that is how Carrie and Debbie would have wanted it, and for it to be more of a show and a celebration of their lives and impact on people, and not a sad day. At the memorial there were speakers, performers, and it was described as very much a happy day in remembrance of them. Also at the panel yesterday were stories and anecdotes shared about Carrie's personality that made everyone laugh, and cry. It was great. And I think you're approaching this event in the right mindset by having it more laid back.

22. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    With fondness, laughter a tiny bit of insanity and just a little tearful of sadness for her absence - or - since she found the fan experience similar to "lap dancing" .. perhaps with commemorative t-shirts "Lapdancers for Carrie" .

(I am sure it will be tasteful, whatever is officially done)

23. Docgeo

Docgeo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 26, 2013

If I wear my Dress Blues(Army) with the black bow tie will that be over dressed with cosplay and casual wear? I have been ruminating on this for about a week now and just want someones opinion. It isn't a bother to bring and I am proud to wear it. I just don't want to be completely out of place.

Thanks!

jawajames likes this.
  24. jawajames

Apr 26, 2002
    I say wear it proudly and you'll be classing the place up.

Docgeo likes this.
  25. Docgeo

Docgeo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 26, 2013
    Thanks!!