main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC17 Orlando 2017!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by michaelsft, May 4, 2016.

1. torjoreyri

torjoreyri Jedi Knight star 1

May 9, 2014

Making me miss the food trucks in Anaheim... Reasonable prices for great food.

2. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Does anybody think people will be staying very long after Celebration? Or is it pretty much just a mass exodus of SW fans out of Orlando between Sunday evening and Monday afternoon?

I'm for sure there Wed - Sun, and will most likely be taking the earliest flight out I can find on Monday morning. But before I book it and set it in stone, I'm wondering if there is any likelihood that a decent number of people will be sticking around Orlando for a few days after Celebration. I'm debating if it's worth the money to stay a little while longer, and also the effort just to get a few more days off of work, if I'm just going to end up wandering around by myself for those days without many other SW fans around. But if there are a good number of fans still around, still buzzing from the weekend's events, maybe checking out WDW or whatever else is there, which is something I would do too, then it might be worth it just to not have to rush back home. Anybody have any insight on what it was like immediately after the last two Celebrations in Orlando? Come Monday afternoon is it basically like it never happened? Or is there a good portion of people who stick around for a few days? I remember after Celebration Anaheim there were a lot of people still hanging around Sunday evening, occupying the restaurants and whatnot, but by Monday morning it all seemed pretty vacated. I live close by there, and since I had a Disneyland pass I just decided to stop by and see if anything was still going on. I saw a few people wearing Celebration shirts, but that was about it. But then again, Anaheim isn't exactly the destination Orlando is. So perhaps people might have a mind to stay a bit longer. I'm just seeing if anyone has any thoughts on the matter.

3. will_russ_knight

will_russ_knight Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2017

Im flying out Tuesday @ Noon. Its was more cost effective to stay, rather than fly out Monday, plus i can spend a day wandering around other things. Kinda thinking maybe Universal or something.
    never been to Florida myself

4. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
  5. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    From experience it's a mass exodus Sunday night to Monday. However there is a SW marathon afterwards this time and I know several who are staying for that so this may be the year it's different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I'm going home on Monday. Wednesday I have a training seminar at work I have to be in Ohio for. I was expecting to be able to come home and chill for a few days before going back to work but it is what it is unfortunately.

7. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Yea, even if I could afford it, there's no way I can stay for as long as the following weekend for the marathon. I appreciate the suggestion though.

Basically, my work week is Fri-Tues. I already have Fri, Sat, Sun off. So with my regular days off I'm there from Wed-Sun. The only other days off I was thinking I could possibly get are the Mon and Tue right after Celebration. Because definitely by Friday that week I would have to be back home to start up another work week. But again, I doubt I could even afford to stay that long. I was figuring just a couple more days. At this point I'm leaning towards not staying the extra days though, the effort in even getting those days covered at work might be a bit much, not to mention the extra costs it would bring just to sort of aimlessly hang around Orlando and/or WDW that whole time. I just thought I would ask here in case somebody knew that there will definitely be things going on or at least a decent number of people sticking around after Celebration doing the same thing. Even though I figure it will probably just be a mass exodus starting Sunday afternoon.

Oh well, just thinking out loud again.

8. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I am there most of the week following Celebration. I plan on hitting the Disney Parks during that week. I know it will be busy, but I have to do it while I am in town.

9. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Alright, flights booked, I get there early morning on Wednesday and leave late afternoon Monday.

Padme501st likes this.
  10. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    We're staying for the Star Wars RunDisney the next weekend and hitting the parks the week inbetween Celebration and the races.

11. StarWarsFan1997

StarWarsFan1997 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    I managed to book the Renaissance at Seaworld for a week's stay using my Marriott employee discount. I'm planning to arrive Monday evening, go to Disney, and then alternate between Disney and the convention, depending on the panel schedule (which at this time remains a mystery).

I've been researching the city's bus system, Lynx, as it seems like that will be a cheaper way to get around than hiring a taxi/Uber/Lyft. Anyone have any experience with riding the Lynx buses in Orlando?

12. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    It's wednesday so hopefully we get a new announcement on the Star Wars Show.

13. Echosen

Echosen Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    Hi, this will be my first time in Orlando, but in my research came across the I Ride trolley, which services international drive, only downside is the hours are limited..

14. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    It gets packed too. Last time I went to Orlando the trolley always took forever to get on.

15. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah, I figure we will get something today.

16. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    I ended up using the Celebration buses last time instead of I Ride

17. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    If you haven't already, I would recommend to anyone to take a good look on Google Maps of the entire area first before deciding on anything. For me, after seeing just how far WDW is from the Convention Center, I may not end up doing the Galactic Nights on Friday night after all. Not that I couldn't get there, it's just that it might not be worth the effort to do so, especially when you also consider the added cost and wanting to remain at Celebration until the day's end. Whereas prior to looking at a map of the area I had assumed everything was much closer to each other, and that I could practically walk it and have no issue getting there and back. My frame of reference was the area surrounding Disneyland and the Anaheim Convention Center where you could actually walk the area easily because it's all fairly close. So for anyone not all that familiar with Orlando, definitely take a look at where everything is so you know what you want to prioritize and that it's going to take a minute to get anywhere that's not in the immediate vicinity of the Convention Center.

Padme501st likes this.
  18. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    My group is renting a car. I would imagine we will leave Celebration a few hours early that day to take advantage of getting into the park around 5pm when we are allowed.

19. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Nice. That's smart, certainly makes things easier. Hopefully parking at WDW is fairly easy.

I'm going solo, so I'd rather just stick around the area of where Celebration is. Like I said, I had previously assumed it was fairly close and walkable like it is in Anaheim. Glad I looked it up before buying a ticket to Galactic Nights.

20. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    The only announcement today is that EA will be there with some playable stuff on the show floor.

21. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Nevermind. A bunch of guests got added today too.

22. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Universal is closer to the OCCC than Disney unfortunately.

23. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Galactic Nights is going to depend on Friday's panel schedule (and maybe photo op schedule) for me. If everything I want to see Friday is wrapped up by 5 or so, I'll probably do it.

24. Echosen

Echosen Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    a celebration shuttle service would be great . A disney shuttle to Galactic Nights on top of it would would be icing.

25. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Something came up at work and I might have to skip Sunday. If I have to leave a day early you think I'm going to miss a ton of stuff?