main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should the Anthology films have opening crawls?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by dolphin, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I think that's one of the reasons why they should have had a crawl. There are a lot of casual fans who are confused with the timeline of everything. All the crawl does is provide background exposition for the story. One of the people I went with said after the movie, "so where was Rey at during this?"

2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    You need a crawl for every movie you see? You need it all laid out in a slab of text?

3. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    No, not at all but when your eight movies in and jumping around timelines I don't see how having a crawl would hurt the movie. I don't buy the we need to make the saga films special argument. If you can put a crawl in a video game or in the comics even you can surely put one in a spinoff film.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Part of the beauty of Rogue One is that the audience learns information as the characters do. A crawl would have hurt that gradual unpacking of the plot that's a significant part of Rogue One's drama for the first two acts.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  5. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    The flashback did everything a crawl would, except you didn't have to read a big exposition dump and watch a cool sequence instead.

6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed,Guidman. In retrospect, after seeing how it began (which was VERY similar to the saga films), I would have loved to see an opening crawl, and pan down to that opening shot. It kinda felt different, just for the sake of being different.

I still liked it though...

7. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    not sure why this is still a topic. RO had no crawl, other stand-alones wont either.
    The people that were confused about the timeline for RO made up maybe 0.25% of the viewers (totally made up statistic). I mean my Grandmother got it.. and she hasn't seen a movie since Dances with Wolves.

You know what the REAL secret is. When a movie falls in the SW timeline should be irrellevant. If you cant watch a movie start to finish, and have it make since, without a three paragraph preamble, then the film makers have made a bad movie.
    The only reason E4 had one was to make you remember Buck Rodgers / Flash Gordon. And the only reason 1-3 & 5-9 have one is tradition.

The Stand-alones are not call-backs to Flash Gordon. They do not need and should not have crawls.

Mostly Handless and ChozenOne like this.
  8. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    fishtailsam, that may be true, but audiences like sitting down and watching that Star Wars logo disappear into the stars and hear John Williams main theme blast through the speakers.

Rogue One felt kind of meh and was kind of jarring to some people. Also, a lot of people didn't like the Rogue One title font.

I mean, can't you put something there, or maybe compromise and do something different, but still get that Star Wars logo and John Williams

9. DemonKingBalor32

DemonKingBalor32 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 19, 2017
    eh no that would just be blah to me honestly.

10. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I loved the suddenness of the start of Rogue One. Perfect.

And honestly, I prefer a visually compelling prologue to a text crawl.

11. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    I thought that Rogue One worked just fine without a crawl, infact once the movie started I barely even noticed it wasn't there.:p Going forward, I hope LFL keeps the spin-off movies crawl-less; there are more ways of opening a movie than a Flash-Gordon reference.

Besides we still have 7, (hopefully 9 in a few years) movies with crawlers, and they'll always be around.:)

12. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I don't think it's totally nessasary for a crawl to appear in the Disney films. Every director or producer should have their own style of film introduction.

dolphin likes this.
  13. JEDIMASTERSHONDELLS

JEDIMASTERSHONDELLS Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2002
    Every Star Wars film should have the opening fanfare and a crawl - Rogue One suffers a little for not having one. Plus, the replacement title card and accompanying music in R1 is naff.

Guidman likes this.
  14. It must be mandatory

Generational Fan likes this.
  15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Let's see... was going to type up something for this and remembered I already had. Lo and behold, this still covers my position on this perfectly. :p

11-4D, Gigoran Monk and TCF-1138 like this.
  16. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    The more I've thought about it, Rogue One should have at least had the Star Wars title flying into the screen, even if after the prologue, or at least used a recognizable Star Wars theme when the "Rogue One" title was shown. Otherwise it just looks like they made it that way for no other reason than to avoid it.

Guidman likes this.
  17. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Yes, Yes and yes again. The anthology films are still Star Wars film and they still form part of the complete story.

To not have the opening crawl and fanfare borders very closely on the side of sacrilege.

18. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Having a crawl just for the sake of having a crawl would be pointless fanservice. The new way worked perfectly.

Why use the same main theme if it's a spinoff? Every movie opening with the exact same thing and music would get old real quick, especially when it doesn't even make sense to have it.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  19. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    We've already crossed that Rubicon with Rogue One. And guess what? Fans didn't denounce it as sacrilege. Whouda thunk it?

20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I think they did everything right with the opening of Rogue One (as they did everything right with the opening of the The Clone Wars movie).
    Leave the crawl for the Saga movies.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  21. Organafan

Jan 14, 2017
    I didn't say "the Main Theme" or "opening with the exact same thing and music."

22. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    u literally did

23. Organafan

Jan 14, 2017
    "Used a recognizable Star Wars theme" is not literally "the Main Theme" or "opening with the exact same thing and music." There is a lot of Star Wars music with recognizable notes. "U literally" didn't understand.
    If the only Star Wars movies being made were "saga" films, coming out from now until twenty years from now, opening with that "exact same thing and music," would you consider that to be getting old quickly?

GregMcP likes this.
  24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Since we've known for quite awhile now that the anthology films will not have opening crawls, this thread has served it's purpose. Locking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.