main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Return of the Jedi underrated soundtrack

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darth Maul is awesome, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    Not as good as Conan the Barbarian, but pretty good.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

2. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015

One of mine too.

3. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i really like "Luke and Leia"

4. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    While not my favorite I do enjoy the tracks The Final Battle, Battle of Endor, Emperors Throne Room, Victory/Celebration, Parade of the Ewoks and the Sail Barge Assault. Good grief with amount of tracks I like, this might be my favorite. [face_dunno]

5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    'Into the Trap' will always be a standout to me, especially because it was used the pc game Treasure Planet: Battle at Procyon. It was really weird when I found out it was from Star Wars originally.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  6. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    Its my favorite of the OT.

xezene likes this.
  7. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Oh dear. I must get an extended version of that album. Everything scored for that movie (in 83) is awesome. Stuff that didn't make the LP is awesome too - the baroque music from jabba's palace, The MRB's "Cosmic Dance Blast". :)

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  8. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    "A Jedi's Fury" is one of my all time pieces from any motion picture soundtrack. I can't emphasize enough how it really captures the emotion of the scene and how much is at stake. Luke is so close to falling to the dark side, and there seems to be no hope. Can he resist the urge of the darkness?

Iron_lord, Darth Dnej and Sarge like this.
  9. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    'Jedi Rocks' and 'Yub Nub' are probably the worst pieces of music in the entire saga, but I love 'Victory Celebration'.

Sarge likes this.
  10. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I do agree that this soundtrack stands out to me as one of the better ones in the saga. Possibly my #3. It does kind of repeat the Imperial March cue a lot more than I'd like from scene to scene, but in terms of themes and overall score IMO it's much more beautiful than it's given credit for!

Darth Dnej likes this.
  11. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    some of the music on Endor reminds me a bit of the TPM soundtrack

Subtext Mining likes this.
  12. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    The RotJ OST is my second favourite OT OST behind ESB.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013

The music sounds like something out of an opera or Greek tragedy. It's one of the best pieces ever for sure.

The Emperor's Throne Room, Luke and Leia, Yub Nub, Victory Celebration, Into the Trap, Yoda's Death, are all standouts as well. John Williams really blended new and old themes so well in ROTJ. Well, he masterfully crafts his scores in all the Star Wars films.

xezene likes this.
  14. Aiwendil42

Aiwendil42 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 16, 2008
    RotJ might just be my favorite film score of all time, though ESB is also a contender and TPM isn't far behind. I think RotJ has my favorite uses of both the Imperial March (in "The Emperor Arrives") and the Force theme (in "Light of the Force"). "Into the Trap" and "A Jedi's Fury" are excellent tracks as well. The only points against RotJ for me are the re-recorded (and sloppily played!) TIE Fighter Attack from ANH and the abysmal "Jedi Rocks" (not that "Lapti Nek" was much better).

Sarge likes this.
  15. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I love this soundtrack so much. It may not have added a new greatest hits theme like the Star Wars Main Title, the Imperial March or Duel of the Fates (which is probably why it's largely overlooked), but it's such a masterpiece! Like the film itself, it ranges from the whimsical to the mercilessly grim and it does so with excellence.

"Luke and Leia" is also one of my favorite themes of all time.

16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Where does the title "A Jedi's Fury" come from? I've always seen that piece titled as "The Dark Side Beckons".

17. Aiwendil42

Aiwendil42 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 16, 2008
    You're right, "The Dark Side Beckons" is the title of that cue. I think "A Jedi's Fury" is the chapter title from the DVD. Confusingly, "The Dark Side Beckons" is also a chapter title on the DVD, but not for the part where the cue "The Dark Side Beckons" occurs.

18. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    My personal favorite of the series, in film and in soundtrack. :) It is great.

19. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    Have to disagree with the posts here, I went back and listened to tracks mentioned to see if I had missed anything and while all of the music was beautiful. It certainly was more of Williams expanding on the same themes he first created from ANH and Empire, nothing truly iconic or original in my opinion. Don't get me wrong they worked perfectly for the story but I can't think of a single tune from ROTJ that broke into the mainstream like the ones from the other films. Yoda's theme, Leia & Han Love theme, Binary Sunset, Imperial March etc not a single one of the most iconic tracks of the saga are from ROTJ.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  20. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The Emperor's Theme?

21. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    In what way is it underrated? Do you have any polls that show its popularity? I mean not some random guy giving his personal opinion but an actual poll. From what I have read ANH seems to be the least popular OT soundtrack. While ROTJ is definitely not a bad soundtrack, it's the weakest OT one IMO. It is somewhat less original and has fewer new cues compared to its predecessor. To be honest, while I like the "Luke and Leia" theme I never really liked the Ewok theme that much, nor Jabba's. Also, I think the Ewok theme takes up too much time in the end title music, giving the Ewoks too much importance musically. It should have been shorter in favor of maybe including the Emperor theme as well. After all the Emperor played at least as much of a role as the Ewoks. So his theme should have been included. Not just the soundtrack as a whole, but also the end title is (subjectively) the weakest of the OT, while I like ANH and ESB about equally, ESB probably objectively being the superior one. But like I said, ROTJ is still not a bad soundtrack.

Rickleo123 likes this.