main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Even More Magniloquent New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I think they want more movies like RO because of this: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars2016.htm, and this https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rogue_one_a_star_wars_story/

Edwards did not make a Michael Bay style action/explosion movie. The Guardians of the Whills were the opposite of that. Jyn's story with her dad was the opposite of that. Just because something is genuinely a war movie doesn't mean it's a shallow special effects explosion.

It's not really that complicated. As far as Catalyst, that's one of three books that I actually like from the new expanded universe (also enjoyed Bloodline and Ahsoka).

Like I said, though, I don't take that article very seriously. We'll see what they say at Celebration. If they are really going for a YA thing, and an Obi movie, and Boba Fett, well that's a lot to announce. I'm pretty skeptical. But if they do announce a YA romance as the next stand-alone, I'll make a note on my calendar not to prioritize that year's SW movie lol.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Did you just compare Gareth Edwards to Michael Bay?

[​IMG]

3. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Rogue One is fantastic! I even think that the success of RO will make LucasFilm feel safe in making more movies like it.

4. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  5. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I thought R1 was flawed but very good, and sits comfortably alongside the OT and TFA.

6. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I don't think we can say the MSM views RO as preferable. Here's just a couple pro-TFA views:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...gue-one-vs-the-force-awakens-which-is-better/
    http://mashable.com/2016/12/22/star-wars-rogue-one-rewatch/

And more importantly, in the aggregate, aka on RT, TFA wins percentage-wise (92 vs 85) and rating-wise (8.2 vs 7.5). Top (read: mainstream) critics is a bigger gap. 89% and 8.1 vs 77% and 7.0.

And this isn't me sending forth volleys in a RO vs TFA war. It's just noting that the consensus favors the approach of TFA.

7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    I thought Rogue One was better then TFA. It was slow at times particularly in the first third (as it reminded me of ROTJ as much of it was filler, just not quite aa good) and the characters were a bit "thin" but overall I enjoyed it more. It was different, took risks that TFA wouldn't even dream and I thought the final set piece was so much better proving you don't need a lightsaber fight at the grand finale of a Star Wars movie.

I just hope Episode VIII keep the momentum going. Not that I didn't enjoy TFA but just I enjoyed R1 better.

8. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014

Yes, I think TFA still wins out in that sense. I love both (for different reasons) - with I think TFA slightly edging it.

9. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016
    [​IMG]

Darth Chiznuk You are right, I was wrong. Bay is entertaining. Edwards isn't. :p

10. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    I didn't really give a bantha's ear about the Fett movie, but movie about bounty hunters with Fett as a side character sounds much more intriguing to me.

11. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    I didn't say the MSM favors one. I said many like it better. There's a competing Forbes article that prefers R1, which I edited to add to the list.

As for your "more importantly," at no point was I making a case that R1 is objectively better. That's a judgment call. I was only countering the notion that R1 was some kind of failure, which is a kind of absurd proposition.

You don't speak for "the consensus," I'm sorry. These are both massively successful and well liked films. They're also different and both have a valid, unique place in this franchise. There is no need to pretend that one "approach" is objectively superior. R1 is what it is, and it didn't need to be done with a TFA "approach" any more than TFA needed to be done with a R1 "approach."

La Calavera likes this.
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    [​IMG]

:p

13. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah but they can just bring those other ones back to canon if they want a cat alien. More cat aliens would seem strange when you have like 5 ready to be brought back. Also Selonians are still canon.

14. hana_solo

hana_solo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 4, 2016

So I'm the Bandu now? :p

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yes, that sounds a much better take on it.

16. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I figured this was always the case.

Star Wars 1313 in film form.

17. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yeah, but most of the EU designs are terrible. :)

18. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    And I was just saying TFA seems to be favored.

I didn't say you did? I was just saying that "more important" than the couple of anecdotal links I offered is the aggregate consensus.
    I don't speak for the consensus. I didn't claim to. RT does. Which was my point.

Also you mention "objectivity" several times but I didn't. You're answering points I didn't make.

19. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Wait. Are you serious about RO? I generally agree with your perspective on films, so I'm surprised to hear that you find it forgettable. For me, it's on the very top of the Star Wars heap, and adds an artistic flair to a pop culture franchise. It sits side by side with ESB, for me, in terms of quality. I really believe it's a sleeper masterpiece whose reputation will grow with time. For me, bringing Edwards back would be a no-brainer. And zero substance to the characterization? I love TFA, but Rey's primary motivation for half the film is getting a droid she just met to a base. Jyn was driven by abandonment (twice), a desire to reunite with her long-lost father (after her cynical perception of him was punctured), and then a desire to fulfill her father's legacy and prevent another Jedha-style genocide. Her motivations were substantive, human and much more relate-able than Rey's, which was essentially "get BB8 to the base, and then go home." I certainly felt more warmth and extroverted energy coming from Rey (and I love her for it), but to argue that her characterization was considerably stronger than Jyn's simply seems disingenuous to me.

But I understand if that's how you feel about it. I'm just surprised! :)

TFA more snugly fits the mainstream critic's perception of what a popular sci-fi/ fantasy genre film is supposed to be. Pulpy fun, and nothing more. Thus, it gets high marks. And legitimately so, within that standard.

RO does not snugly fit the mainstream critic's perception of what a popular sci-fi/ fantasy genre film is supposed to be. Too serious, too murky in its exploration of human conflict. Thus, it gets lower marks, though its high marks seem far more enthusiastic than TFAs, with a contingent of critics coming very close to calling RO a masterpiece, and a number of them calling it the best Star Wars film yet).

Personally, I'm quite sure history will see RO as the better film (and certainly the bolder one), but I of course have no way of proving that. :)

20. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    What the hell is happening in here [face_hypnotized]

21. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    The people that should be upset, are those Old Republic fans. Seems like no films, cartoons, or anything for those guys.

22. AhsokaSolo

Dec 23, 2015
    Then I'm not sure what point you were trying to make. It sounds like you were the one answering points I wasn't making. The fact that many in the mainstream media, such as in Washington Post, Rolling Stone, and Forbes, prefer R1 itself proves that R1 is not some empty miss (for the record, I've never heard of mashable.com and wouldn't consider whoever that is along the lines of Washington Post, Rolling Stone or Forbes). We can all have our opinion on which we like better, but the bottom line is, even if slightly more like TFA than R1, these are two good movies that appeal to people for different reasons.

Also, the difference on the audience score is 89% (TFA) to 88% (R1). There is no grand slam argument to make here about TFA's "approach." I mean, in any movie making sense, there is no top approach. There is only the question of the vision of the movie makers, and how well it was carried out. If everyone used the same approach that was the supposedly superior approach per the "consensus," well movies would be pretty boring.

La Calavera likes this.
  23. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Let's move on. Obviously Rogue One is a masterpiece and anyone who says differently is just plain wrong so there's nothing to argue about.

24. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Well yeah. How do you make a bunch of cat aliens without them seeming repetitive? The answer is you don't.

25. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    It's interesting that they say the proposed Obi Wan would be the 2020 Anthology.

Edit: also it seems no SEquel trilogy spin offs are even thought of yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.