main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Kenobisms

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers

Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2017
    I'm sure there might have been a thread for this but I can't find it so here goes.....

Obi-Wan Kenobi is easy the dry wit sass master of the Prequel Trilogy. So what are your favorite one liners. They can be from any media, books,tv, or of course the movies. Happy sad insight full your call.

Here are a few of mine!

"Not good" Attack of the Clones, after realizing he was attached to a falling Jango Fett on kamino

"Hello there" from well books movies and TV

"Only a Sith Lord deals in absolutes" ROTS um repeat that in your head one more time Kenobi

"Good buy old friend" ROTS while not funny kina sad as that's the last time they speak as friends.

2. Mace Windu is GOAT

Mace Windu is GOAT Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    "You were right about one thing master- the negotiations were short."

3. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Indeed!!!

Oh, and GREAT THREAD TITLE!!! :cool:

Also, welcome to TFN and the PT forum. :D

It's funny you made this thread. I was only just re-watching the opening sequence to ROTS the other day. What struck me anew was how glib and hilarious Obi-Wan is in that first act, especially in the space battle. I mean, sure, I knew it already, but I was able to derive fresh amusement from Obi-Wan's persona in this stretch of the PT. My hat goes off to Ewan McGregor for delivering an exceptionally solid performance in all three PT movies, but especially ROTS. Also, of course, immense love and respect to George Lucas, for engineering all these scenes and weaving comedy and tragedy together, and just sheer epic adventure, in a deliriously entertaining and artistic way, like the Uber Jedi Storytelling Master he is. So, anyway, I guess some of Obi's lines from this section would be my picks:

- "Oh, this is going to be easy."
    - "No, no, R4, nothing too fancy."
    - "R4, be careful, you have a....... oh, dear!"
    - "In the name of...!!!"
    - "Great, R2!" (sounds hilariously insincere; like he is obligated to thank R2 because R2 would get a complex if he didn't)
    - "Well, have you noticed the shields are still up???!!!"" (I remember loving the freak-out hoarseness of Obi's voice on this even at my first viewing at the cinema)
    - "Oh, I have a bad feeling about this..." (my favourite reading of this classic SW line)
    - "There. That's better." (especially for the hair)
    - "Well, R2 has been..."
    - "Did I say anything? I didn't say anything!"

Ewan plays the part so well. I literally just loaded it up again to check the "shields" line. I do often forget if he says "shield" or "shields"; shields is the answer. But even just watching that tiny part (I imperfectly landed on the end of the glorious buzz droid nonsense first -- not an insult; I love everything about the opening sequence!), I was instantly struck by how perfectly hilarious Ewan is in every moment. Golden awesomeness.

There are also quite a few subtle comedic strands at work in Sith's opening act; lots of juicy character information, in fact, conveyed in a slightly glib, pithy sort of way (pure Lucas). One is Obi-Wan's subtle disdain of R2; as I think the above list by itself hints at (more palpable when actually watching). Although, it's hard to tell if he really does disdain R2. He seems to be teasing Anakin about his own fondness for R2; which is almost a bit racist when you think about it. But, all in all, all the things going on... I love everything. It's all just gorgeously amusing to me.

And I hope that's enough to make my point. :)

4. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    "Chancellor Palpatine, Sith Lords are our speciality" is a favourite as well as the aforementioned "No, R4, no - nothing too fancy." I like the idea that in the middle of this massive space battle he's arguing with a curmudgeonly droid, by the sounds of things not for the first time.

5. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    "Why do I get the feeling we've picked up another pathetic life form?"

"Artoo, we need to be going up."

"She's a politican and they're not to be trusted."

6. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    "You will be delighted to hear we are on schedule. Two hundred thousand units are ready, with another million well on the way."
    "That's...good news."

"Ninth time. That business on Cato Neimoidia doesn't, doesn't count."

[​IMG]

Obi-Wan is my favorite character! :p

7. Padema

Padema Jedi Master star 1

Mar 11, 2007
    I guess it was cut from the movie, but in the novelization doesn't he say to Anakin about R2, "Honestly, the way you talk to that thing".

I messed up the quote feature someway.

8. Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers

Mar 29, 2017
    Al of those are wonderful quotes I love them all!!

I'm not sure how many of you know where this quote originated but it's by far my favorite Kenobism moment. I'll set the scene......

Chapter 7 Labyrinth of Evil book

"Not much had changed, except within Obi-Wan, who felt as if he had downed three bottles of Whyren's Reserve. Bleary-eyed but lucid, tipsy but sure-footed, weary but attentive, Obi-Wan seemed to be the sum of all contrasts.....

.....Obi-Wan aimed the blade of his lightsaber casually at the floor and stood swaying in place, breathing hard but almost grinning.

"Anakin," he said happily "how are you?"

When Anakin when to him, Obi-Wan promptly collapsed in his arms"

9. Mace Windu is GOAT

Mace Windu is GOAT Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    "Another happy landing."
    Love the sarcasm.
    [​IMG]

10. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Not canon but relates to this thread :p

[​IMG]

11. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    Not a quote, but the beard mannerism.

[​IMG]

12. Padema

Padema Jedi Master star 1

Mar 11, 2007
    Here's another one. "Not to worry, we are still flying half a ship".

13. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    One of my favorite things about Obi-Wan in the prequels is how he lectures Anakin, "This weapon is your life," and yet he loses his lightsaber more than anyone else.

14. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    [​IMG]

15. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    One of my favorites, just quoting it would never do it justice!

16. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    How about all the coat dropping?

[​IMG]

17. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    "Hello there" is my favourite Kenobi line. Another favourite of mine is "Good job" when Anakin tells him he came to rescue him in AOTC. I just love the way his says it so sarcastically.

18. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i'm not sure Kenobi really has 'kenobi-isms'. Much like Vader in the OT , it's more in the way the actor delivers the line than what he actually says.

My favorite though is "So uncivilized."

19. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    And the guilt in her expression and posture really sells it as well. Breaks my heart every time.

On a more happy note, YouTube strikes again with the comedic captions.

[​IMG]

20. Fuzzy_Jedi_Slippers

Mar 29, 2017

Wow I am at a loss for words....Kenobi you dirty fool....

IHeartKenobi89 and J7Luke like this.
  21. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
  22. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    "Kenobism" [face_love]

There are so many, but here are a few favorites:

"You were right about one thing, Master: The negotiations were short." - So corny, so Lucas, so Kenobi!

"That was some shortcut, Anakin. He went completely the other way!" - That one's aaall Ewan. His delivery just cracks me up [face_laugh]

"Do you have a plan B?" - With Anakin's reaction... I just love those guys!

Indeed! ;)

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "Good job" is my favorite.

"Only in your mind my very young apprentice" and "I hate it when he does that" are close behind.

24. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I like his pledge to Anakin in TPM: "You will be a Jedi. I promise".

25. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Reading the thread back makes Kenobi seem really passive-aggressive. He manages to insult people directly and indirectly and yet remain perfectly urbane and polite in the process...

My favourite bit of Kenobi dialogue isn't one line as much as the entire scene with Jango on Kamino where you can see both of them realise they're going to be fighting in a bit, sizing each other up and laying a bit of smack talk down all whilst having what the Kaminoan sees as a perfectly civil conversation.