main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY Testing the (Running) Water

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jedimika, Apr 25, 2013.

1. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
  2. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Did the very hot Gaslight last night. Finished in 29:01 which was disappointing in a way, I really felt like I worked really hard and should have had a better time. I think it was the 90 degree heat that fooled me though.

Jammies when is the Highland 5K this year? I'm having problems googling it.

3. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    I wish I knew! The website still has last years info on it.
    Maybe it would help if I actually went to church.

4. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Did the YMCA Turkey Trot yesterday. Did the 10K even though I wasn't really ready for it. The heat this Summer really cut down on my long runs. Weather was good yesterday though--cloudy and low 50's--ideal for me. Finished in around 1:02 which is about right for me. I don't have anything else coming up. If someone decides they want to do something before Spring (Throo the Zoo?) post it up.

6. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  7. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
  8. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Looks like the Throo the Zoo has a date and a placeholder web page (no sign up linky yet). It will be the weekend after Derby- Saturday May 13
    https://louisvillezoo.org/event/throozoo2017/

if I've counted my weekend rotation correctly I should be off for this. Anyone want to make an official or unofficial team? Costumes or just Star Wars Tshirts? Jedi costumes (I think Relin has one) or maybe Ewoks and crash the animal costume contest? We could call the team "EWOK this way" (stole that from someone more creative than me)
    Think on it.

9. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I was in Lexington this weekend for their annual Comic Con and again it fell on the same weekend as the Irish/St Patty's Day festival and again I did the "Shamrock Shuffle 3K". Weather was colder than usual, upper 20's but the crowd didn't seem any smaller. I did it in 18:06 which was longer than my usual but I got bunched up at the start and I stopped at mile 1 to blow my nose and adjust my cold weather gear. I didn't stop for the post race festivities, just walked to the nearest Starbucks for something hot and back to the hotel room.

10. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Going to be doing the Run The Bluegrass Half Marathon this weekend and I'm not ready. My own fault, the weather has been great this winter but I just started too late and my diet has been crap. I've convinced myself to do it for fun and enjoy the scenery. I get the same medal no matter what my time is. And the scenery around Keenland is so spectacular especially around this time of the year. Still next year I'll probably sign up for the 7 miler instead of the half. Wish me luck!

11. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Run the Bluegrass report...cloudy and coldish at 45 degrees but I did better than I expected, much better actually...2:32:22 which is almost identical to last year, only 0:00:06 difference. Over a 13 mile course and a year apart that's pretty amazing to me. I may be slow but at least I'm consistently slow.

Yoda_Jammies likes this.
  12. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Did the Star Wars RunDisney Dark Side Challenge this last weekend at Disney World in Orlando and it really was a challenge. The wife and I did the 5K Friday then the 10K on Saturday and I finished up with a half marathon Sunday. All of them were super early to get them in before the Disney parks open since part of the course goes through them. The 5K wasn’t officially timed but we finished in around 45 minutes. I did this one with the Mrs. the whole way for fun and she did a Han Solo running outfit and I did a Chewie. For the 10K we set our own paces and I finished in around 1:09 in a Dagobah Luke outfit (with a Yoda backpack and lightsaber). For the half the warm weather (about 75 degrees at race time) was a real issue for me so I really took it easy and stopped at every water station along the way. I finished in around 2:49. All the courses had things to keep your interest and take your mind off the running every mile or two. Be it a Star Wars mile marker, or music playing, or photo ops with characters and/or props, or huge video screens showing movie clips, or the 501st/Rebel Legion hanging around in costume or just seeing the sights in the park. The best was during the half when part of the course had trees on either side of the road and Disney set up a special effects show. It had laser lights and smoke and you could hear the Ewoks in the trees on either side and the AT-STs and explosions…it was like you were in the ground battle of Endor! I ran a little faster.

It was also fun to see what creative running outfits people came up with. I saw the usual Jedis, smugglers and Sith Lords but I also saw some Disney Princess/Slave Leia mash ups, lots of Phasmas, a Max Rebo and Sy Snootles, and in a really deep cut someone had even made a Hoojib outfit.

The finish medals were pretty sweet and there was a lot of good Star Wars running shirts and swag to buy. The thing I covet most though is the Kessel Run medal which you get if you do the Light Side (West Coast) AND the Dark Side (East Coast) Challenges in the same calendar year. It would be expensive to acquire but it looks soo sweet. Maybe for my 50th birthday.

Even though my time wasn't great I'm proud I ran 2 half marathons in one month. That's a big deal for me. Once I get my vacation pics sorted I'll post up a photo or two.

13. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    I am in for this but will probably just do a t-shirt. Sorry for late notice, time kind of snuck up on me.

14. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    D'oh! Thanks for the heads up Relin, in all the excitement getting ready for Orlando and getting back (I'm still not unpacked) I forgot to register. It snuck up on me as well. I'm now registered and a t-shirt sounds great to me as I picked up several new ones in Orlando I want to work into the rotation. See you there!

Jammies?

15. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Good job man! That is a lot of running: you should be proud!

I will be out of town for the Zoo thing, sorry. I also haven't done any cardio since Celebration; other than expecting con crud [face_sick]

16. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Sorry to hear that Jammies, I texted Mindtwister today and he'll be joining us at the Zoo. He said he'll be walking and since I've done so much running in the last month I'm happy to join him at a walk. Relin, we're going to try and meet up at the start line towards the back a little.

Relin likes this.
  17. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    Coo, I will inbox you my current number. Not sure if you have it.

18. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Had a great time at the Zoo with everyone yesterday. The weather was perfect-sunny and 50's, it wasn't very crowded and I got to enjoy a nice stroll with Relin and Mindtwister and family. It was nice to just walk and enjoy the scenery instead of just running past it. Lots of animals were out and that really added to the fun.
    Mindtwister mentioned they're probably doing the Autism 5K next month. I'll confirm with him as I'm thinking about doing this one.
    http://www.feat5k.com/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=1166952

19. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Mindtwister said they're doing the Autism 5K so I went ahead and signed up. Fingers crossed for good weather!

20. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    I might join you all then.

21. Relin

Relin Jedi Master star 2

May 17, 2010
    See you all in a bit!

22. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    On my way out the door!

23. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    How was the run walk?

Ive jogged maybe five times this year, and hit the gym maybe twice that. I need one of those zero to five k programs (after wonderfest).

24. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Was real nice. The four of us (Twisty's kids stayed home) had a nice walk. It was kinda warm and I should have put on sunscreen but it was worth it. Plus I got to see a new park. I've never been out to the Parklands of Floyd's Fork. It is huge! I'm gonna have to explore it when I have more time.

I'll be in visiting my Superfriends in Metropolis this week and plan to do the 4 miler like usual and Relin says he's planning on doing the Color Run here in Louisville on Saturday.

25. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Well I went to Metropolis for a quick visit as I had to work the weekend but I still found time to do their Superman 4 miler. I managed my usual 10 minute mile and finished in 39:24 which I thought was good but I was dead last for my age bracket (sad trombone).

The Iroquois Hill Runners put out their Summer run schedule.
    June 20 Pizza Pig Out
    July 18 Ice Cream Social
    August 8 Poker Run

I could make June 20 probably, July 18 is out and I don't know about Aug 8 yet. Jammies if you wanted to walk this I would gladly walk it with you.