main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

It's about time for a new Real-time strategy game in the SW universe.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by fastcooljosh, Apr 4, 2017.

?

Should it happen ?

1. yes

18 vote(s)
    94.7%
  2. no

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. fastcooljosh

fastcooljosh Jedi Master star 2

Mar 15, 2017
    Man I can't be the only one on this board who loved playing EaW and its addon, or am I ?

Do you think there's even the slightest chance that EA will start working on a spiritual successor of EaW or is already working on it ?
    :(

2. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Whether there would be another Star Wars RTS or flight sim is one of the first things I was concerned about when EA was tapped to replace LucasArts, since EA simply isn't known for RTS games anymore, especially after they abandoned the Command & Conquer franchise when they canceled Generals 2, and don't seem ambitious enough to try a flight sim. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any evidence they are working on anything that isn't a generic shooter, action game, or RPG, so no RTS or flight sims as far as we know.

3. AtariKo

AtariKo Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2017
    I've been longing for an RTS as well. I'm sure something will emerge in the near future, but it's likely not priority number one.

4. Kynirin

Kynirin Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    Should it happen? Yes... But I would probably vote that even if you asked if I wanted a Star Wars surgeon game. :) I didn't really get to Empire at War, the ground combat there wasn't so much to my liking, but I loved the Galactic Battlegrounds. It doesn't feel like an RTS is in the cards right now, the few games we've heard of seem to be all in the direction of third-person action/RPG/something like that. One can hope, just doesn't seem to be happening right now.

5. Clonemenace

Clonemenace Jedi Master

Mar 22, 2004
    Part of me wants to wait and see how long EA will hold the license. They eventually lose the rights after their time is up, and a company such as Activision/Blizzard gets the SW license. We suddenly have a top tier rts developer on hand to possibly make a great game. I'm of course referring to the Blizzard side of things and not Activision. That said EA could have the license for years and years for all I know.

6. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

Yes, years and years of EA. Until 2024!

7. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    All I want is something similar to Galactic Battlegrounds's base building and resource management along with Empire at War's Galactic Conquest and army system.

8. Beskad

Beskad Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2017
    I'm not above Mods. I've considered getting Thrawn's Revenge but id prefer something set during the Civil War.
    Anybody play any of the Sins of a Solar Empire mods?

9. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I would kill for a new RTS game set in the SWU. Some kind of cross between SoaSE (maybe with hints of Ashes of Singularity) with Empire at War, and maybe with dashes of Rebellion would be sublime.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, the RTS genre is dead for no reason, but I'd prefer a text based SW adventure game first.

11. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016

Don't know if I'd want to go that retro. I'd choose an isometric RPG like Baldurs Gate 1&2.

12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Unfortunately, between the death of both Command & Conquer and Wing Commander under EA, I don't really expect EA to do anything really innovative liked an RTS or a flight/space sim any time soon.

13. Tobi

Tobi Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    It would be cool with something like civ that goes through all eras with heroes and events

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Mostlymad

Mostlymad Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2017
    I think the market screams for an updated, MMO version of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter. (or maybe I'm just screaming for it)

Another great game (that had a Star Wars mod) that would be fun to have an updated SWU version is Escape Velocity.

15. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    An mmo X-wing vs Tie fighter would be terrible. It would turn in to a different genre of game.

Take War Thunder for example. That started off as a WW2 flight sim, an offshoot of the IL-2 Sturmovik series. The developer took it and made it into an mmo and now 99.9% of players are no longer flying the planes themselves, instead they just point the mouse where they want the plane to be flown to by the autopilot and click on the plane they want to be shot at. The skill in playing the game is gone. The mass majority playing the game with aids turned on are the ones the developers concentrate on to keep them happy and paying money. These players mustn't feel like they are at a disadvantage over players that choose to use a joystick and fly the plane themselves using their skill, so the computer aids are made to be incredibly powerful to combat any player using skill.
    Thus learning skill in an mmo space/flight game is not encouraged, everybody plays the game at the dumbest difficulty because there is no incentive to improve their skill and get better at the game without computer aids.
    Learning is in fact discouraged in an mmo environment because players are always working to get that next level ship/craft, if it is quicker for them to do that at the lowest skill level then that is where they will stay. Players that actually want to play the game and get better skills are because of this at a huge disadvantage and the temptation to give up and drop back down to the dumbest difficulty level is very high.

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I love RTS games - that being said, I don't think they've been too popular lately unfortunately.

17. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Yes it is time. I still have hope, but with EA doing these new games, it is pretty bleak. They have killed so many great franchises.