main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social So, how spoiler free will you be?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Legacy Jedi Endordude, Aug 15, 2013.

1. SmallTatooineSun

SmallTatooineSun Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 16, 2016
    Same for me. I was 100% spoiler free for TFA and mostly spoiler free for RO, other than watching the trailers. I wasn't super into TFA, so that was easy.

I was very much looking forward to RO but wasn't able to see it until Xmas day, so I had to be careful about not reading anything online. None of my friends are into star wars, so that made it easier. I did run into a guy I knew while xmas shopping who had seen​ it. He told me not to get attached to the characters and I was like "LA LA LA can't hear you". That was somewhat spoiler-y but I had a feeling things wouldn't end well so it didn't upset me too much.

I don't want to know anything about TLJ and as of now, don't really care for the Solo movie but will try to remain spolier free for it, I guess.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  2. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003

Going Spoiler Free for Episode Three made it that much greater experience.

Had 1 spoiler for Wonder Woman, which I really wish I didn't know.

3. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I'm everything spoiler free. No trailer. No magazines. Absolutely 100% spoiler free.The only thing I was spoiled on in TFA was the original cast reprising their roles.

4. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I treated R1 the same as I treated the other SW films since ROTS. Basically I moved to the NSA threads once I saw the full theatrical trailer that they usually release about 2-3 months out. I must admit I was somewhat disappointed with all the tv spots and whatnot we saw for TFA. By the time we saw it in theatres, I felt like I'd already seen SO much of the film. Didn't actually feel that way about R1 though, as they seemed to always only show the same stuff we saw in the theatrical trailer, just in snippets. So I was ok with that.

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    THREAD MERGE.

6. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    The only material I view before seeing a new Star Wars movie are the theatrical trailers. And this only occurs under two circumstances:
    1. I am at a theater and the trailer comes up before the movie I am there to see. Which is always a bummer, because I then don't want to watch the movie anymore, but rather watch Star Wars.
    2. I am in a Star Wars Celebration panel. As much as I don't want to know anything about the movies prior to seeing them, there is no way I missing out on the experience of viewing the trailer of an upcoming Star Wars film in the presence of hundreds of fellow Star Wars fans. The reaction is always electric; so much fun. Also the reason why I always go to the midnight first showing of a Star Wars movie; they are normally packed with true fans, and it is always a great time.

7. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Yeah, after the third trailer for TFA, there was an..."international trailer" that was released? I heard it had some somewhat spoilery details, so I skipped it, and all the TV spots after it. The Rogue One previews on the other hand, they still showed stuff that never ended up in the film!

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  8. CosmicDust

CosmicDust Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 16, 2017
    I'm stopping after the Behind the Scenes footage. I'll be tempted to watch the trailer when it finally comes around, but I was watching the trailers and Behind the Scenes footage for TFA the other day, and I was surprised at how much it revealed even though it was all taken out of context. I don't want to go in with too many preconceived notions or positive/negative impressions. I'll try hard to avoid everything Star Wars once the trailer comes around since the hype for movies after the trailers tends to ruin the experience for me with fandom in-fighting, with people seeing what they want to see sometimes and picking fights over whose speculation is "correct."

I went into Wonder Woman without even reading the summary for it, and the entire thing was a fun surprise. So I might try for that with TLJ. I don't think I ever watched the trailer for Rogue One, but it didn't seem necessary since I already knew what the premise was.

9. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I love spoilers. In fact, I think I need them. I theory craft in my head all the time, and like lots of folks, get attached to my head-canon. Spoilers let me get used to controversial ideas so I can concentrate on the movie, rather than try to work through my emotions at the time.

10. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    Strongbow I kinda agree! I sought out some early spoilers for TLJ because the mystery box aspect of TFA made me want a little bit of direction going into the TLJ. The teaser trailer satisfied a lot of that confusion for me with
    the light/dark/balance and Luke's "it's time for the Jedi to end" line.

I did the same thing this year for two shows I really love, Once Upon A Time and The 100, because they both finished their seasons with cliffhangers that could go in so many directions and I needed that peace of mind of reading some spoilers to get direction for the upcoming seasons. I don't really craft my own theories or get attached to headcanons, but if there's something controversial I want to get some of my shock over it dealt with so I can just enjoy the story when watching.

Strongbow likes this.
  11. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    I'm the complete opposite. I hate spoilers. I love going in blind and being surprised by each and every movement through the movie. I prefer to work through my emotions as the movie progresses. I used second, third, etc. viewings to attach to my head canon. I enjoyed TFA in theaters because I wasn't spoiled in any way, and I think it allowed me to develop a better attachment to some of the new characters. Not knowing who any of the characters were allowed me to not have any preconceived notions about said characters.

Dak Oolron and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  12. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    I usually just watch the trailers and whatever media (video, pictures, etc.) that's officially released.
    Way back when I spoiled myself rotten for AOTC and when it came to watch the movie it seemed like I had already seen it. To this day it's my least favorite of the saga.

TCF-1138 and Sarge like this.
  13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That happened to me with TPM. It was released in Sweden three months after its release in the US, so I basically knew everything about the film before seeing it. I still thought it was awesome, but it made me decide to go "Spoiler Free 'til Episode Three". I've kept that up with TCW, TFA, R1 and now TLJ, and I don't regret it.

Dak Oolron and jedivalens like this.
  14. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Spoiler free is the way to go! It makes the movie that much more enjoyable. I don't regret it either!

Dak Oolron likes this.
  15. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm in 1000% agreement. I knew a few character names, a planet name, and saw 3 trailers before going into TFA. I probably knew less going into Rogue One, but still, wow! I can't resist watching the next TLJ trailer, if it even comes out.

16. Dak Oolron

Dak Oolron Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 24, 2014
    Dang, I haven't logged in in months (in an attempt to stay mostly spoiler free) and I only see 9 unread threads in this forum! Everyone must be living it up over in the spoilery forum...

My strategy for 8 is similar to what I did for Rogue One, and I was very happy with that. I think I knew (or in some cases, "knew") too much for 7 and was disappointed as a result, especially by the large number of great shots seen in the trailers that were left on the cutting room floor... I'm looking forward to 8 being mostly a clean slate when I see it the first time :) I definitely don't recoil with horror when I see a new ship design on my FB newsfeed, though ;)

17. Vinylshadow

Vinylshadow Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2017
    Unfortunately, I plan on spoiling the entire movie for myself - though never for others unless they specifically ask

Just knowing Darth Vader is Luke's father doesn't mean anything, it's how it's shown that matters to me

Besides, Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter and every forum under the sun is gonna have huge banners saying everything that happened in the movie, so if you're somehow able to avoid all that, well...that's pretty wizard of you

18. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014

I avoided everything Star Wars related before TFA and Rogue One. It wasn't easy, but after managing to stay completely spoiler free for TFA, it was a lot easier for RO, and I've avoided everything for TLJ, so far. The only thing I knew about TFA, was that Ford, Fisher, and Hamill were reprising their roles, which to me, isn't really a spoiler.

Vinylshadow likes this.
  19. Dave Hoffman

Dave Hoffman Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2012
    I tried to go spoiler-free for TFA, and was fairly successful until release day. I wasn't going to see it until the 3rd night or whatever, and even though I avoided the obvious places, I was still spoiled by key plot points listening to/reading places where I never thought that info would be given.

This go'round, I don't really care. I don't plan to see TLJ until it's been out a while, so by then, it would be hard not to run into information. I also kind of want to read the opinions from a select group in this forum after it's out, and that for sure would spoil things.

20. CosmicDust

Jul 16, 2017
    So since the trailer is going to drop soon, is anyone going to watch it/not watch it? Now that our fears of more spoilers content is becoming reality.

I was thinking on watching it on YouTube when it comes out so I don't get surprised with it during commercials on tv. I only saw the teaser once or twice to get my hiatus emotions worked out but otherwise haven't seen it/forget what was in it, so I don't think the trailer would ruin the experience for me too much. I am curious about what the film's premise will be.

21. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I make no efforts to discern what a film's premise will or should be from a trailer. Trailers (if they are any good) are like Christmas music. They get me in the mood.

22. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    I may have posted this before but...

When I went to the midnight showing of RotS, I had only allowed myself the teaser trailers, not the full trailer. I got into my seat in advance of the start of the film... and they started playing the audio from the full trailer through the main speakers! So as soon as I realised I cupped my hands over my ears and sat there humming to myself until the screening actually began. So now, when I go to first screening of a SW film, I take my phone, my Nintendo 3DS, and some big headphones, and sit there listening to Star Wars music while playing some 3DS. I live in fear of over-hearing some spoilerified fellow patrons talking spoilers. So I'm anti-social af while there, but it gets the job done, plus I get to play a few extra minutes...

I don't know how I'm going to deal with the next trailer for TLJ. Watching trailers undoubtedly helps build the anticipation, but I don't like it when, as with TFA trailer, they change the dialogue from the trailer to what's in the film, because when the film reaches that particular dialogue, it never plays 'true' to how you already know it from having watched the trailer countless times. I already have my suspicions that "I only know one truth. It's time for the Jedi.... to end" won't be in the finished film, at least not in that complete form without anything else spoken in between.

I think I will watch the next trailer. Probably. It's part of the bigger experience - trailers are almost as memorable as the films sometimes.

23. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    I never go to a Star Wars premiere without headphones. I sorta thank Homer Simpson's outburst after The Empire Strikes Back for me wanting to prevent spoilerage by plugging my ears before the movie.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  24. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

I went to the very first showing of TFA with a fairly large crowd, and I was so immersed in the experience that, after the movie got out, I didn't even notice that there was a line to watch the movie in our theater after we were done. I don't remember what I wanted to talk about - I'm pretty sure it was either Han's death or the last scene with Luke, but about two words in my brother punched me in the arm. I'm all like, "Dude! What the hell?"
    Hey pointed to everyone around me and said, "You almost pulled a Homer." The crowd started cheering for him and high-fiving him. I've never felt so stupid in my life.

25. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I'm going to the Last Jedi wearing a T-shirt that says ""WHO KILLED LUKE SKYWALKER?" on the front.