main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BBC Proms Celebrating John Williams

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Martoto77, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not planning on going but I will be listening and taping the TV broadcast.

Martoto77 likes this.
  3. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Will watch on BBC America for sure!

Martoto77 likes this.
  4. DarkEnforcer

DarkEnforcer Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2017

I'll be watching this as well. John Williams is a legend in his own right. :)

Martoto77 likes this.
  5. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    I was fortunate enough to attend Star Wars in Concert back in 2009 and had a blast. Wish I could be in London to see this as well, will have to settle for watching it on TV; can't wait.

Nehru_Amidala and Resic like this.
  6. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    This was certainly an interesting listen, and to hear those few Star Wars songs played was great. Of course, they were all near the end of the performance. Also - that was probably the most interesting rendition of the |Cantina Band theme I can remember hearing. Ever.

7. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I recorded it. Looking forward to my watching and listening.

8. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    I missed it! :(

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I made it through the first half and was less than impressed. The orchestra just seemed a bit 'off' to me. Between that and the lesser-known pieces they played I gave up.

10. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    I wonder if it's on demand for Verizon FIOS...

11. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I enjoyed it immensely. A couple of wobbles but the opening of Raiders then Superman was pretty exciting.

I've always been in two minds about that little Jaws "suite". It opens brilliantly and segues beautifully into the sort of pirate music parts of the score in the final third of the movie. I just wish they could play some of the more atmospheric score from the film sometimes.

Haven't heard JFK in concert too often.

And the two TFA pieces sounded great. Reminded me of the sound of the prequels a bit, in isolation.

Binary sunset hermit likes this.
  12. Binary sunset hermit

Binary sunset hermit Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2017
    What a super concert and what a diverse selection of Works by the great John Williams. I was blown away by the cello playing Sayuri's Theme from memoirs from a Geisha, and the wonderful jazz sounds of Jess Gillam playing the theme from catch me if you can.

It really show the talent this man has for portraying emotion and descriptive sounds, to equate to actual scenes, places, characters, and animals. (sharks and Horses in this concerts case) A lot of film music can be forgettable but if I hear a piece from willliams I get taken straight to that scene where it is playing.

Of course I was so pleased to hear the star wars pieces and I agree with Martoto77 that two TFA pieces were just great. I think it was the tone of the orchestra that made it sound a little like the prequel trilogy. E.G. using the harp for the intro of Rey's theme did sound a little across the stars at the beginning. (Gotta love Rey's theme though)

And why do I get over emotional at the end of ET, everytime. (same goes for binary sunset and the princess Leia theme)

Nothing like John Williams and your beautiful music. :)

Martoto77 likes this.
  13. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
  14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    The Radio 3 website has a 'listen again' which hopefully works outside the UK It's here. The TV version is here but I don't know if you can view outside the UK. These are only available for a month after the prom before they are removed.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Nehru_Amidala

Oct 3, 2016
    ^ Thanks for the links!

LAJ_FETT likes this.