main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Jedi Enclave ~~Welcome New Followers of the Light!~~

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by ConservativeJedi321, Dec 19, 2016.

1. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Attention My Fellow Jedi:

I have been contacted by the mods, who have expressed concern to me this Enclave is becoming more of a social thread, than a recruitment center. Especially as the WNU has been relatively slow lately, and most of the people who post in here are oldbies. It is encouraged we keep the majority of our regular activity in the Main thread in the EUC for the time being.

New Users interested in joining our faction may still enter through this thread, but to keep it aligned with its original purpose, it is requested older users limit their posts to aiding Jedi Recruits, as well as activity strictly related to the functioning of the GOL.

Sarge, The Vanguard, Jar-Jar Binks, BookExogorth

So the Council is aware: Ananta Chetan, Mitth_Fisto, Adalia-Durron

2. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013

Let us discuss this in the Council and make sure that the concerns expressed are clear and that everyone is aware on both sides of the different variables that makes this thread and the recruitment function harmoniously. :yoda:

3. Loth-cat

Loth-cat Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2017
    I'm back from my adventuring and am ready for a new task whenever it's convenient for someone to give me one! :) ConservativeJedi321

4. Skyla Skywalker

Skyla Skywalker Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2017
    Welcome back!

5. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Welcome back Loth-cat:D

New Initiate Task:

Please tell us who your favorite Jedi is and Why?

6. Loth-cat

Jun 29, 2017

Oh man. I knew this question was coming, but even with a lot of forethought, it's so hard to pick. Jaina is probably my favorite EU Jedi... I can't resist that Solo sass, I find her very relatable, and I have a soft spot for her journeys as a sister, a daughter, and a wife.

But my favorite Jedi who is still canon would be Luke. He's a very obvious choice, but despite all the really cool and worthy Legends and new canon Jedi, he's still my favorite. I never liked him when I was younger... I just thought he was whiny and kind of a lame choice for the central character of the OT. However, over the years I've really come to appreciate all the qualities that don't make for particularly dramatic storytelling... his slowness to take offense, his humble strength and calming presence, his trust in the Force, etc. It's incredible to me that he was able to develop his identity as a Jedi, staying so true to Jedi principles, given that he started much later in life than other Padawans and that his training with Masters was very limited in comparison to what other Jedi received. While of course he has his waverings, it seems to me that for the most part Luke's pursuit of the Jedi way stems from a feeling that it's what he's supposed to do and who he is supposed to be - not because he craves the power of being a Jedi. I get the sense from Luke that he wants to take on this role that he feels is his destiny for the betterment of his friends AND enemies, and sees his skills as a way he can serve the galaxy. That is, of course, how it should be, but it's certainly not an attitude that every Jedi has or that comes as naturally to them as it seems to come to Luke. Luke uses his power to be a force of peace and to be relentlessly self-sacrificial. The fact that he remains loyal to these values with limited mentorship and as the first of the new Jedi only makes me respect him more.

ConservativeJedi321 and Sarge like this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  8. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Sarge, that really isn't on topic to the thread at hand, as mentioned at the top of the Page.
    I would encourage you to place your inspiring pictures in the main thread instead of the Enclave.:)

Very well done, I Award you Four Force Points for this Task. Loth-cat, Bardan_Jusik

For Your next initiate Task: Please describe for us, what was the Jedi Service Corps? What purpose did it serve in our order, and what value did its members have to us as Jedi?

Bardan_Jusik likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    CJ, the top of the thread says,
    I believe that inspiring quotes and pictures do promote the study of the light side of the Force, and can also be used as tools to recruit and stimulate new initiates. As I understand it, that is the primary purpose of this thread. Do you see where I'm coming from? If not, let's discuss, friend.

Skyla Skywalker likes this.
  10. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    This is what I was referring to Sarge. The Mods are concerned this thread is too active, and often too social. Since it doesn't directly relate to the functioning of the Enclave I simply thought to politely point it out.

Sarge likes this.
  11. The Vanguard

The Vanguard Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2016
    Why don't we have a mod weigh in on this- to clarify exactly what is or isn't allowed on this thread? Bazinga'd Skiara

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I would listen to what ConservativeJedi321 has posted. Skiara and I have determined that we need to return the focus of these social threads in WNU to their initial purpose, i.e., welcoming new users and a recruting thread for social theads that are located elsewhere in JCF.

13. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    Bazinga'd, your excellency, can you also help to clarify what defines promoting the light side of the force? We're short on propaganda recruitment posters, so we sometimes turn to generic posts. What sort of encouragement are we allowed to give new users? Advocating our cause that the light side indeed has delectables ready for consumption as much as any other group, is something we're all interested in. ConservativeJedi321 Sarge

Sarge likes this.
  14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I like the sound of that. :p But seriously, the intent here is not micromanage how you promote the light side of the force. Neither Skiara and I are in that business. So use whatever method that the thread leadership deems as appropriate. All we are asking, is that the thread not continue disucssions between "non-new users" for an extended period. Once a new user is "recruited", ideally that new recruit (and others) should be directed to the corrosponding thread in SWC to continue discussions.

That may be as clear as mud, but this may be a work in progress, at least initially. We also encourage you guys to let us know what works and what doesnt.

Skiara , Sarge and The Vanguard like this.
  15. The Vanguard

Apr 12, 2016
    This helps immensely, thank you oh great one! :p Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd likes this.
  16. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016

Me and Master Chetan discussed this very topic in PM. Basically it comes down to a balancing act of keeping this thread at the top of the page (One of my initial jobs as Guardian of the Enclave) and reducing excess chatter. We decided the best thing to do was too, from time to time, drop Initiate and Padawan tasks in here which will keep it semi active, without it becoming either a social, or Ghost thread.

We will still of course greet newer users in here, when they want to train in the Jedi-way, though older users activity should be limited to the bare minimum.

I for one find it handy to avoid double posting in the main thread, by dropping important notifications in here when I have already posted something else in the EUC, but nobody has posted after me. Usually that is a last case scenario though.

If you can think of something absolutely relevant to the functioning of the GOL than you are free to add it in here as well. Just no posting for postings sake.

Skiara , Sarge, The Vanguard and 2 others like this.
  17. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    It seems that the questions how we meant our modly request is answered. I'd just like to add that we are happy that you understand the reasons/aim and that we (Baz and I) are here always for answering any questions, if you are unsure about anything board-wise. :)

18. Loth-cat

Jun 29, 2017
    Okay, I definitely had to read up on this because I had no idea the Jedi Service Corps existed prior to this task.
    The Jedi Service Corps was an alternative way of serving as a Jedi, available to any and all Jedi, but especially to those Padawans who failed their trials or were never apprenticed by a Master. The Service Corps was composed of four different divisions, each focused on a different area of service: agriculture, medicine, education, and exploration. Each of these areas of focus was important in the overall purpose of the Order in keeping peace and facilitating reconciliation in the galaxy. The Service Corps was a taskforce that carried out missions of a humanitatian nature - an incredibly important focus in an organization dedicated to justice and peace.
    What I read seemed to suggest that there was some sense of members of the Service Corps being second-rate Jedi, due to the Corps consisting largely of Padawans who had failed their trials. It makes sense to me, however, that there would be great variability in the various strengths exhibited and honed by Jedi and that there would be a range of sensitivity and power in Force users. Rather than viewing Padawans who are unable to pass their trials as "failures," I think it is logical and appropriate to acknowledge the significant challenges that the mainstream Jedi life commitment and way of testing provides, and identify alternative vocations that still, of course, make the most of the gifts and stengths of these Jedi and allow them to serve the galaxy in a fulfilling way. I think the concept of the JSC maintains the dignity of these Jedi and I think it's a great idea to focus energies and training into a specific field of work and study, tailored to interests and aptitudes. However, from some of what I skimmed it seems like in practice this was more complicated than the straightforward concept of the Corps, and that the JSC suffered from negative perceptions. But ultimately I still think the jobs delegated to Jedi in the Corps are extremely important (furthering food security, fighting famine and epidemics, practicing healing, holding knowledge and teaching, mapping the galaxy, etc.) and that any Jedi who contribute to those reconciliatory efforts in the galaxy in any capacity are worthy of respect.

19. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Very well done Loth-cat, I award you the full Five Force Points. @Bardan_Jusik

For your next task: As a Jedi you are expected to learn how to wield a lightsaber, the symbol of our order, and the weapon used to defend the helpless. As an initiate you are not expected to know in depth knowledge of every form. When you become a Padawan you will have the right to chose a single lightsaber form to practice, within certain limitations. And once a Knight you may choose another. But it would do you good to have a base to work off of when the time comes.

Form I Shii-Cho is the most basic lightsaber form, and the one all others are based off of. It has been taught to initiates for millennia as their starting point along the Jedi path. Please go to the library (Wookipedia or any other source you trust) and research it. Come back and describe for me its history, how it functions, and demonstrate if you will some forms and maneuvers related to it.

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I've accidentally posted in the Jedi area.

Oh how embarrassing!

21. Loth-cat

Jun 29, 2017
    *bows head* Thank you! ConservativeJedi321

Form I, or Shii-Cho, is the first combat form that was developed with lightsabers in mind. As such, it is rather rudimentary; it was not developed with an opposing lightsaber in mind, and it is less focused and more random and simple than the forms that followed. However, it is still an effective form, particularly when executed by a well-practiced Jedi, and is especially useful in training.

Shii-Cho functions using swordfighting principles such as attack vs. parry forms and targeting key areas of one's opponent to be disarmed. The Ideal Form of Shii-Cho employs attacks and parries perpendicular to one another, with the lightsaber blade drawn at exact horizontal and vertical angles. The Live Combat Form targets body zones and employs diagonal blows. The large, sweeping motions and simple targets of Shii-Cho render it most effective against multiple opponents. The randomness of Shii-Cho is achieved by allowing the Force to guide through raw emotion, and the form requires significant discipline to execute properly in combat, maintaining the goal of disarming an opponent, and not intending to injure or kill them.

In terms of demonstrating some of the forms... what constitutes a demonstration? I've been derping around with the motions at home with a rolled up poster, and would be happy to provide some footage. :p Or should I describe the motions one would go through for a couple of the forms? :confused:

22. ConservativeJedi321

Mar 19, 2016
    Demonstrations would largely require a brief bout of RPGing. But considering the fact that you have demonstrated an understanding of the form, as well as the fact that you are only one point away from achieving Padawan Status, I believe you have done enough.

I Award you Three Force Points for your work on this task. I believe Vanguard has another waiting for you in the main thread, but I would recommend you do it swiftly, as the council will be contacting you soon on who you will train under.

Bardan_Jusik (Pts.), Loth-cat,

Got a New Paddy for Ya!: Ananta Chetan, Mitth_Fisto, Adalia-Durron

23. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    Congratulations on the promotion Loth-cat.

The Vanguard likes this.
  24. Loth-cat

Jun 29, 2017
    Yahoo! I look forward to it. Thank you for the series of instructive and enjoyable initiate tasks. And good to know for the future about demonstrations!

25. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I sense there could be more initiates coming in soon......I hope my feelings are right.