main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info J.J. Abrams to Write and Direct Episode IX

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Big Bad Yoda Daddy, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I know, but we've had problems in other threads, with posters just hurling insults, and we're trying to curtail it as much as possible.

2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    It's an overly misused quotation anyway. It's supposed to be Macbeth's petulant, nihilistic musings on the meaning and purpose of life following news of his wife's death.

3. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    Well what about all the previous script treatments? Surely the Episode IX script isn't just a clean slate because Abrams was brought on board to co-write. I'm wondering how much creative freedom he'll have. I'm also curious about what lingering influence Trevorrow might still have on the story.

Taylore, DARTH_BELO and Sarge like this.
  4. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I suspect that they'll use what usable ideas they can find in Trevorrow's story, which I suspect is based on broad ideas from the original Kennedy/Lucas group and Rian Johnson.
    By now, LFL probably has a pretty good idea where things are headed.

Taylore and Huttese 101 like this.
  5. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    Source?

I'm not too fussed either way about it at the moment. I'm a bit in limbo about my feelings towards TFA and JJ at the moment, and think the rest of the trilogy will determine how much I appreciate TFA in retrospect.

But I don't really buy the line Rian Johnson spins about the freedom he's been given to write TLJ. Lucasfilm have a story team and this trilogy will have to fit within the decisions of that team. RJ will not have had a 'blank page' with which to do what he wanted, doesn't matter what he says. RJ and JJ were willing to do what was asked, Trevorrow seemingly wasn't.

Dak Oolron, DARTH_BELO and DBPirate like this.
  6. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Deadline.
    I said “allegedly” because I don’t know if this is true or not.

I do buy it though. Making movies is an extremely exhausting experience, especially for a blockbuster franchise like Star Wars, and it should be doubly exhausting for a guy like Rian who until now was only used to independent small projects or a few one-hour episodes for a TV series. I’m sure at this point he just want to take a very long rest.

Also, there has been far too many reports and sources saying people at Lucasfilm where in love with Rian and approving everything he was doing (well, expect Mark Hamill maybe, but it’s not like he was happy with his role in TFA either), so it makes perfect sense that Rian was the first person asked to direct IX (as well as SW fans’ no.1 choice) and if he’s not going to direct it, it’s more than likely that it was because he refused.

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I must say I was very surprised when I heard of this.
    From a business standpoint it makes perfect sense - TFA was critically well-recieved and made a ridiculous amount of money. But I'll admit I'm slightly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I loved TFA, but I was really hoping for three distinct voices for each of the three films.

But I'm a hell of a lot more hopefull for IX now than I was when Trevorrow was set to direct it, since I never cared for his directorial style. So in the end, I'm calling this a win.

PaulWrightyThen likes this.
  8. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm sure that he wants to go back to being a "fan" of Star Wars again, rather than being a participant. Who knows, maybe he'll take over for whoever goofs up the Obi-Wan movie.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  9. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    Disappointed. I was just crossing my fingers that TFA would be ok. Then it turned out safe and fine as far as retreads and closed box loops go i.e. "classfied? me too". I also was ok with Star Trek 2009 for the nostalgic beats as far as that one-trick pony lasted, but was flabbergasted by the uncreative, worse out of Trek character, and CGI'd bayformers-like mess of "Into Darkness". At the end of ST2009, it seemed the new crew were going on their 5 year mission. And then in ST:ID, he still hadn't gone on their 5 year mission. I'm afraid Abrams will have no clue where to go for ep 9 and will regurgitate stuff from the original and maybe even the prequel trilogy, and badly like ST:ID. Just from the comics of KOTOR and SW:Legacy, there's a wealth of new ideas other writers could come up with. There's other talent still out there that could handle a big spacewar/fantasy project, with much more cleverness, real talent and creativity, such as: Peter Jackson, Alphonso Cuaron, Brian Singer, Christopher Nolan, Matthew Vaughn, etc.

10. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Matt Vaughan has been at the top of my list for Star Wars directors since they announced. Would love to see his take on the GFFA.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    For those who are displeased there is a change.org petition to fire JJ Abrams from Episode IX. Almost 3300 signatures!

No way in hell I'm gonna sign but I'm sure someone out there will feel better if they did.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm glad change.org is used for the big, important stuff.

DARTH_BELO, Sarge, B3 and 1 other person like this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Fun fact: same guy who made that petition also made one for the POTUS to reveal documents about extraterrestrials

Huttese 101 likes this.
  14. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    I'm okay with Abrams for IX. The question is of course--as has already been said many times--whether or not he can avoid falling into the trap of remaking scenes from classic films. He'll definitely do some of that, but there's a line somewhere in between BB-8 carrying secret data and the big 'reveal' scene in Star Trek Into Darkness. Hopefully, JJ got that somewhat out of his system with The Force Awakens and will be content to wrap up the new trilogy in a way that's relatively self-possessed, like the best moments of TFA were.

But I'm happy because TFA hit all the right notes for me in terms of *feel* and characters, and it looked beautiful. For a huge, fairly plot-redundant film, it has a ton of spirit and soul in my estimation. I appreciate it more now that I did on opening day because of how it feels, and I'd love to have more of that feeling.

DARTH_BELO and Sarge like this.
  15. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Internet people aren't just mad JJ Abrams is directing Episode IX, Paramount Pictures is too cuz in 2006 they signed him to a big, multi-movie deal with basically 10 million a year for overall productions with Bad Robot and all they got by JJ Directed movies is Star Trek, Super 8 and Star Trek Into Darkness. And his next two movies are for Lucasfilm. They want their bank back!

16. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    JJ may not exactly be an exciting choice, given the fact that we already know 100% what the film will be like, but he's still a solid choice and likely the best one to make a good Star Wars movie on such short notice.

Finland Skywalker and Tho Yor like this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think "on such short notice" is key. They're on a time crunch, and if nothing else, JJ WILL deliver a movie on time. Despite my disappointment with his returning, I do think it's the smartest choice under the time constraints, and since Rian turned them down.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  18. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    rather jj over the guy they had originally. wasn't that many options lucasfilm want someone who will listen to what they say and rian said no so jj is back in

19. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I will agree bizzbizz: JJ is at the least a better option than Trevorrow IMO.

I also agree Taylore that despite its redundant plot, TFA did have some great moments and visuals. I will forever remember it as the film that returned SW to that retro feel. I did enjoy the prequels-and I get why they were made the way they were, but I'm also one for continuity-not only in story but in design. TFA did a good job of keeping that thread going from ROTJ.

I also strongly feel that after the ST is completed, the overall story will likely help me to see TFA in a different light.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  20. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Weeell, I kind of feel that JJ actually ignored ROTJ when he picked the designs he wanted for TFA, but sure, it works.

As for EpIX; It’ll be interesting to see if he decides to be a bit more daring in that regard.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  21. Finland Skywalker

Finland Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 13, 2016
    Does anyone think that Episode IX is going to be similar to Return of the Jedi?

22. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    http://www.nme.com/news/film/jj-abrams-on-star-wars-rip-off-allegations-it-was-868426

But yes, EpIX will likely be fairly similar to ROTJ, because all the opening and closing chapters of the trilogies are variations of the same basic scenario.

23. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Do we yet know when production will begin and if they have a 'filming name' yet??

24. woj101

woj101 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Feb 19, 2000
    I was watching TFA again last night - probably my 10th-15th viewing - and it was pretty fantastic, so now I have no qualms about JJ directing IX, in fact I welcome it. There's barely a moment in TFA that doesn't do what it needs to do and does it really well.

Darth Downunder and Martoto77 like this.
  25. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000

Hey, don't get me wrong, I loved TFA - but the real problem is, the only bits of it that actually bug me are the bits that are quintessentially Abrams (you're going to leave the hangar at lightspeed?) The best bits are pure Kasdan (including my absolute favorite moment - "it's the Resistance!") If Abrams had Kasdan to reign him in for IX, I'd be less worried. If he was only directing, it wouldn't be a problem at all because he's a fine auteur. The problem is in him writing with another writer of questionable talents. As has been pointed out, Abrams consistently struggles with giving any kind of satisfying conclusion - I mean, honestly, ever. I can't think of a single Abrams-written movie or series where I think, "Man, that was a great finale." If you want to point out that Abrams tends to drop out before finales happen, well, that only helps my point. If you're in love with the ST, be prepared for TLJ to be the high point.