main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books From a Certain Point of View, [A New Hope] 40th anniversary anthology novel (#OperationBlueMilk)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Iirc beside Cyborg Maul and maybe Sheev taking on a Sith mask nothing from Visionaries became Legends Canon or New Canon.

2. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Are you asking about NYCC in general or a certain panel/signing/what have you?

3. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Look, this one clearly is on the SG. After all, THEY decide what is canon and what is not. Since nothing in 100 Scenes is problematic (it has no major EU element that would contradict anything), they could easily have deemed it canon, but they did not.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Doesn't it contain a reference to Bevel Lemelisk (not by name, but it's clear enough) that would clash with Rogue One? Not that the book can be blamed for that, but still. Or am I thinking of another early reference work? They blur together a little.

5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    That was AEYNTK (Absolutely Everything You Need To Know). But the canonicity of AEYNTK as a whole is not in question, as Leland Chee said "I really think [using info from the book in the canon articles] is fine with anomalies like Lemelisk addressed case-by-case."

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    Sounds like fun

comradepitrovsky likes this.
  7. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Just the From a Certain Point of View event.

8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

To be fair, though, for the most part, they've done exceptionally well keeping everything cohesive.

9. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004

I'd love to be there. Unfortunately, I hve a Will Call ticket so can't book any panels until day of, which'll be impossible at that time.

Revanfan1 I agree (and I'm not a fan of the NEU). What I would like to see with this book is something like from a lot of the "Tales" books, where the stories are in chronological order and also have a cohesive aspect.

10. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    If you want to go to the FROM A CERTAIN POV panel, you do not need an NYCC ticket to attend. So, if you have willcall on Saturday, you can still buy a ticket to the FACPOV panel regardless of your NYCC badge status. Last I saw there were under 100 tickets left so I would decide sooner rather than later.

SWpants likes this.
  11. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004

Thanks! The NYCC site does not make that clear at all

ETA: Ah...apparently tickets are no longer available online.
    And unfortunately, I don't have the money to pay for panels or autographs. I didn't realize til now panels had to be purchased.

It'll probably be streaming (or available as video afterwards), right?

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    And after a few drinks, your point of view will be considerably more wobbly.

13. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Most panels at NYCC don't require additional ticketing (for instance, the regular Lucasfilm Pub Panel doesn't). Special events - particularly those off site - do require tickets sometimes, and in this case tickets were used to a) precisely know/control the number of attendees b) pay for the special con edition books, and again track how many books were needed.

Apologies if things weren't properly communicated. I'm confirming now, but it may be that the event is sold out. Space was limited, but you can still plan to try and purchase the con-edition of the FACPOV book at the Del Rey booth.

I'm not sure about streaming on that panel. I know there will be coverage of some kind, but not sure yet. I'll check into it for you.

P.S. - anyone from the lit forum coming to the show, be sure to say hi at the booth. It's fun chatting with people here, but getting to say hi in person is nicer.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004

That makes sense! And you may have been right, but tickets could only be purchased at Javits or something. *shrugs*
    I'll be scoping out the Del Rey booth :)

Jedi Ben I don't drink alcohol but sleep deprivation could skew my view ;)

Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Loopy777

Loopy777 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2013
    @DarthInternous, do you also know when the author signing schedules will be made public? I wanted to say "finalized" but I realize that these kind of things are never final until the author, the fans, and maybe the books are all in the same place. :D

16. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Loopy777 probably this coming week. Check the DR social accounts (FB and Twitter) and we'll be sure to post them up.

For NYCC we actually coordinate the schedule with the regular DR booth, and all of the other imprints from PRH. So, that means ALOT of signing schedules and timeslots that need to be fit together. We don't want too many overlapping or else we'll cause too much crowding around the booths, or not have enough staff for all of them, or just create too much confusion among fans. So, unlike a SW only show, or a smaller show when we only need to consider our own needs, at NYCC we have to take everyone into account.

But like I said, this week we'll have it together. There will probably be 1-2 signings a day. Not sure all the authors will sign each day. Stay tuned.

SWpants likes this.
  17. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Even Cyborg Maul, Old Wounds, was never canon. But it did inspire the resurrection of Maul back into canon. But that story itself was never canon.

I'm guessing most are canon stories. But there will also be fun things that...perhaps not so much...like the Sheev story from the Shakespeare Star Wars guy (forgot his name).

Other than that, sourcebooks (which are crazy boring and I never read anyway), and movie adaptation discrepancies, everything has been extremely consistent and canon (am I missing anything?). And I've really enjoyed it...while also still enjoying Legends (re-reading the NJO via abridged Audiobooks...well kinda...never got past SBS, so I can't claim I'm re-reading the whole thing).

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

Darth Caliban and Sinrebirth like this.
  18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I look forward to when you reach TUF!

And the Atlas and Guide to Warfare are exceptions to my own 'guidebooks are a bit eh' rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    KerkKorpil likes this.
  20. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Me too.

I've heard people rave for it for like... forever.

Yeah...the Atlas and Warfare Guide were exceptional. I never buy them usually...but I bought those. And that readers guide with Yoda on the cover. Forgot what it was called.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

KerkKorpil likes this.
  21. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    This is a Del Ray book no? Does anyone know if we will get the standard paperback reprint in 9 months time? I wouldn't want my bookshelf to be out of level ;)

SWpants likes this.
  22. DarthInternous

Feb 7, 2017
    Yes this is a Del Rey* book.

As for paperback reprint, a date for a paperback reprint (if any) has not been decided. So we can't answer that question yet.

Revanfan1 and JABoomer like this.
  23. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Caught me.

Are these things usually decided at the time of the hardcover release ie. should I buy the hardcover?

24. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I mean that's totally personal preference. All* SW books nowadays are released as hardcovers first, paperbacks second**. So you can have an entire collection of just hardcovers, just paperbacks, or some sort of mix. There's also price to consider, as hardcovers are more expensive, but when it comes to SW I feel like the people who take the effort to collect a ton of **** don't really care about cost. :p

*By all I mean in the US- some SW books (both Del Rey and Disney-LucasFilm Press***) come out as paperbacks first in other countries

**I do miss the days of paperbacks as the first and only release, but I can understand why they've shifted away from that.

***BTW DarthInternous I'm not even sure how well you can answer this, but what differentiates Disney-LucasFilm Press from Del Rey? Obviously there's some overlap with authors and some members of the Story Group, but is there anything more to that?

JABoomer likes this.
  25. JABoomer

Oct 23, 2009
    Yes, but it sounds like they aren't treating this book as any other novel if a paperback release hasn't even been confirmed yet. I've been sticking to paperbacks for the new canon as I did with Legends, but I don't want to wait for no reason if there might not be a paperback release of this book.

Simply for additional profit, or I'm I missing something?

By the way Disney-LucasFilm Press tricked me. It took so long for them to release the paperback of Lost Stars that I assumed the young adult novels weren't getting a re-release. So now I'm continuing with hard back young adult novels which isn't terrible because the young adult paperbacks are only marginally smaller then their corresponding hardcovers.