main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming I Don't Pick Fights I Can't Win: The Fire Emblem Series

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ramza, Jun 18, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Heroes is now up on the App Store (though you may have to go through the game's website to find it).

2. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, Heroes has been fun so far. It has just the basics of the series (weapon triangle, etc) but it's designed to be played in quick bursts (one battle often only lasts about 5 minutes at most) which makes it great for getting an FE fix when you don't have time to dedicate an hour to a more complex map on a core FE game. I've gotten to the World of Awakening so far and summoned a couple good characters so far without paying anything yet.

On the other side of the franchise, I made some more progress in Awakening itself, now up to Chapter 17 (so just after the map that is set upon the roots of a giant tree). That was a fun map to play (except that I managed to clear the map the time relatively easily only to have Chrom fall to the funny mustache Man, :oops:. But I was victorious the second time through, albeit a bumpier ride) - I started to really use enemy ranges to my advantage to lure them out to ideal match-ups (or integrating "make a safe space for my healers" strategies into things) and I've even begun teaming some characters up (only a couple, though- I still prefer the flexibility of having more active units). Gregor and Cordellia have made for a good combo in battle and I'm keeping Lucina with Chrom for now until she's powered up some more because I was happy to get her back a few chapters ago after having lost her in Chapter 9 and I don't want to lose her again.

I've also remembered about Master Seals and have finally started upgrading more characters (i had previously only upgraded Fredrick and Lon'qu). And by upgrading Gaius to an assassin I finally have an archer to use all these bows i've been acquiring (as i lost Virion shortly after getting him and haven't had any other join my team since), so that's exciting.

Less exciting is, after doing this, realizing that Lon'qu also gained that ability so long ago when I upgraded him to an assassin and I just hadn't noticed. So, in reality, I've actually had an archer this entire time without realizing it. :oops:

By the listings I see, I think that means I have 10 Chapters left, not counting Paralogues and Xenologues.

3. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I have been contemplating getting FE Heroes for my iPad though I want to put that focus on completing FE Fates first. I am up to Chapter 23 for Birthright, so near the end of that arc then will go through Conquest and Revelations after that.

I am glad that you are making progress on Awakening. I really did enjoy that game though took me about two years to finish the main story but I was having fun building up the support with the characters.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I haven't quite fully grasped the mechanic yet. I mean, I get that there's bonuses from making characters fight together more often but it's kinda just happened rather than me taking an active role in controlling it beyond combat preferences.

But I do enjoy going through the support conversations.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah but... FE:G, y'know?

It's weird when I have to actively root for a remake against its own pedigree. :p

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    (TIME TRAVEL!)

[​IMG]

8. Scotticus

Scotticus Jedi Padawan

May 13, 2017
    Awesome! are those pins? Let us know how you like the game. I want to pick Echoes up next!

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah they're pins. The poster is also plastic, not just paper.

10. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's me, I'm the guy who still can't believe the worst game in the franchise got a deluxe remake before 4.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it as you have no bad memories of the NES version weighing you down, though.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It might be a bit before I give it a go- still playing Awakening.

12. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I've picked up the standard edition and the two amiibo.

It feels like a hybrid to me. It is like stepping back into familiar Fire Emblem territory (my first Fire Emblem game was The Sacred Stones) with the map, focus on a set main character/s while including what they have learnt from Awakening and Fates though more streamlined. I am still in the opening act though there has been a meaty amount of story exposition, either via cutscenes or character discussions and the bulk of the dialogue is voice acted which is a nice touch.

Gameplay is classic Fire Emblem.. so no pairing up as far at this point in time and the support conversations takes place during the battles (so far). There are parts where you can 'explore' villages… kinda like a point and click adventure style and talk to some people or gain items. Other parts you get to explore dungeons and that is done in 3rd person where you can move about and slash and explore for items and such. Enemy encounters in that mode takes you to the tactical battle and if you score a hit on them before going into that, their units health is diminished slightly.

Overall, I am enjoying it a lot so far though I still need to finish Fates (up to chapter 23 of Birthright and still got Conquest and Revelations to go) so debating whether to finish this Act and go back to Fates or focus on Echoes: SoV for now.

13. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
  14. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    There will be one last one… kinda. Fire Emblem Warriors coming to both the Switch and the NEW 3DS

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah but don't buy that for new 3DS, you'll want better analog sticks. :p

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    FE Warriors E3 trailer & Treehouse demo:

Watching the demo now, they show off how the subscreen map uses traditional FE sprites and commands to give to your units when you're not actively controlling them on the battlefield (though you can switch over to them, obviously). As expected, the weapons triangle is also a factor in combat- but they've also incorporated paired attacks from Awakening as well. The game is also fully voiced (as one might expect from a console release).

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    And it's terrible (as one might expect from a Koei Tecmo/FE joint). :p

As a casual musou fan and FE lover I'm pretty excited for Warriors, but I'm also skeptical about the weapons triangle actually making a meaningful difference in combat. Well, maybe it will if you're in the hardest difficulty mode against a fully upgraded NPC leader. Generally even the more "out there" musou combat is still pretty easy to game.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The voicework in the trailer was pretty awful, but the in-game lines in that demo didn't sound to bad/different from the 3DS titles.

It wll be interesting to see how the weapon triangle affects things. They did mention how the game is designed to be played by both FE and action game fans, so you can go more in depth with the commands if you want or charge ahead into battle, or disable the level up pop-up screens so as to not interrupt the pacing of the action, if that's what one prefer.

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Oh, I'm totally expecting some fun additions to the usual formula, as KT has shown they can pull off with the likes of DQW, HW, &c., but there's already something of a weapon hierarchy in the main DW titles and, frankly, it barely matters. You can only accomplish so much with that engine.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    FEWA: SE now taking pre-orders in US.

[​IMG]

"The special edition will cost $79.99, and will release on 20th October with the main game. It’ll include the game, three CDs with music from the game, a two-sided poster, and 25 character art cards"

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    New trailer:

Ramza likes this.
  22. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    *Sigh* Genealogy of the Holy War gets no love.

Character models look nice, though.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, after finished ALBW finally, I intend to turn my portable attention onto FEA and hopefully finish that off in decent time (i also have a couple flights to catch in a week or two so I intend to use that time well).

Of course, that still leaves me with a growing backlog of FE titles (with Three Houses eventually making it worse). One thing I'm leaning towards is simply using any casual modes available for future titles I play. I do enjoy the classic mode (even if I've cheated a few times over characters I wasn't willing to sacrifice) and am glad I'll be finishing out that full experience with FEA, but for the sake of time I think the only reasonable approach for Fates (all three), Echoes, etc is to try and speed things up by using the casual mode so there'll be fewer restarts, etc. Since I'm interested in the stories and characters in particular, it seems like the best option (and avoids things like me losing that archer super early on in FEA who seemed to have an amusing personality and whose loss has resulted in me basically playing the majority of the game without an archer).

But, one concern does come to mind so I'd be curious to see what other people may have experienced in that mode vs the classic approach, and that concern is that if you retain more characters due to the lack of permadeath, do you find it more difficult to level up (or develop the relationships between) your characters since things are getting spread out across more characters? Or are you still finding yourself essentially leveling up the same core group of characters?

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I made the switch to casual as soon as they started offering the option, because my old approach was to just restart if someone died (and considering how many Game Over states they started associating with seemingly random deaths in Radiant Dawn, the last game before implementing the system, I suspect that's what they thought everyone was doing), and on casual if there's a last turn foul up I'm not doomed to repeat an entire map. You don't really get to spread out regardless, unless you're in one of the titles where grinding is possible, since you need to keep everyone at pace with the maps, and if you're losing a bunch of folks every mission or rotating constantly you're... well, not.

You're also correct that it's more useful if you're interested in the story, because then you're not missing out on character epilogues (which is why I think a lot of people used to reset fairly often, which, well, see previous).

Edit: Actually, now that I'm really thinking about it, Casual mode is exactly what happens when you learn the correct lesson from Radiant Dawn regarding character death. That game becomes a more fascinating colossal **** up the more the series progresses.

Edit 2: And on a completely unrelated note now I'm looking at older posts in this thread and I still can't believe FE:G got a remake before 4! What the hell, Nintendo, I need some current gen barbecues.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    The2ndQuest likes this.