main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Diversity in the Sequel Trilogy (see warning on page 11)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Rickleo123, Nov 29, 2016.

1. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    Blastaar don't set yourself up again :). Seriously it's possible, but I'm in watch and see mode. The minimizing began during the convention in Florida where he was cut out of the banners. Yes, an excuse can be made about cropping but there seems to be a sea of of excuses with respect to the marketing.

I'm curious to know if people who have watched ST Discovery and have concerns about forced diversity feels this chapter was forced. The curiosity goes to the possibility establishing characters in the ST and beyond (Force users, soldiers, Resistance and First Order alike) in a way that brings about more inclusion without eliciting the apprehension of forced diversity some have voiced concern over.

2. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    Oh i'm being very very careful. I'm viewing TLJ with a 2 and a half hour long side eye.

sigh..."forced diversity"...its terms like that that make me wanna just walk away from "civilization".

yassir.khan, Jedi Jessy and afrojedi like this.
  3. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Even if racists and sexists constituted 99% of the fandom, I’d advocate alienating them all with as much diversity as possible.

4. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016

Agreed. Though something tells me if 99% of a fandom constituted of that ilk it would be something that appealed to that set and nothing I'd be interested anyway.

5. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    Yeah, on second thought I'm not sure it's a road that needs to be gone down. I guess what I was getting at, for me, ST Discovery is done well. There's chemistry in the cast members, and there's an inclusion of earth inhabitants in a way that you'd expect of a Utopian society. It hasn't felt like box checking, it feels organic at least to me.

6. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015
    star trek still holds the gold star imo.

7. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, Star Wars has a ways to go to catch up to Trek, in this regard.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  8. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Star Trek Discovery was beaten to the punch by DS9 and VOY over 20 years ago. That's how far ahead ST is over SW in certain areas.

Blastaar likes this.
  9. Aroooo-Dion

Aroooo-Dion Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 27, 2017
    In fairness, the PT had a lot of its racial casting set by the OT, and outside those constraints, they made a solid effort regarding diverse casting.

yassir.khan likes this.
  10. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Then where were the women of color in the PT?

11. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000

12. Aroooo-Dion

Sep 27, 2017
    I'm not going to argue that the PT was some progressive landmark; all I'm saying is that something like DS9 gave fewer constraints for its casting than the PT, and Lucas didn't just populate the rest of his universe with white males.

13. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Maybe Rey’s mom can be a woman of color?

14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    True, but I will say that I really hated his retconning of Mandalore as an all or mostly white human society, in TCW. That was a poor decision on George's part, especially the backpedaling of Jango as an imposter mandalorian.

Jaster Vhett, panki and Aroooo-Dion like this.
  15. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Qui Gon Jin?
    Count Dooku?

16. Aroooo-Dion

Sep 27, 2017
    Mace Windu?
    Captain Panaka?
    Jango Fett?

I'm not getting dragged into some all-or-nothing diversity battle, FWIW.

I had zero attachment to the old EU, so I had no point of comparison when it comes to Mandalore.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    They were basically a lot more like Jango. Darker skin tone, hair, etc.

18. Aroooo-Dion

Sep 27, 2017
    Hopefully they weren't all cursed with a Kiwi accent.

19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    racist.

20. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    *Phasma*

21. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    ???

AOTC had I think an Asian women and Indian women talking to Padme about the political condition of I remember. If you want to be stingy on people of color...Jedi Ace is right. TPM had an entire female division with Padme as one of the main characters and leaders. They also were heavily involved in the Invasion of Naboo(also I'm pretty sure the ST hasn't done anything cool like an all female force. Disney when lol).

A little off on the discussion but I thought that should be mentioned.

22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Funny you should mention that, given all of the
    "Oh Dr. Aphra might end up being Luke's GF at some point"
    ideas that some people have been bringing up recently.

23. afrojedi

Oct 23, 2015
    The only constraints I can think of were Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Palpatine. That left Maul, Dooku, Qui-Gon, the Jedi Council, etc..., all of who ranked higher imo than Panka on the interesting scale. The diverseness of galaxy was displayed with dignitaries that you saw for an instant and didn't care about at all, not with characters making an impact.

Blastaar likes this.
  24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I think that constraints were more that most of them didn't get much to do. The only ones who really did were Padme (and I've complained a lot about where they ultimately went with her character), Mace (who also really doesn't get that much to do either until the end of AOTC), and Panaka (who disappears after TPM).

The rest, are basically glorified wall-paper. The next step, imo, is to start giving more female/POC actors/actress more IMPORTANT roles and/or with significant screentime.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Found some:
    [​IMG]

Anyway, I guess Luke had more screentime in TFA than colored women in the whole PT

ReyKenobi likes this.