main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Who Should Direct Future SW Films?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Eddie, Oct 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I still have faith in Jones.

Siphonophore likes this.
  2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    TBH, I still expect Jones to land a SW gig. And he deserves it.

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    He's part of the Twitter Cool Directors squad. A bunch of directors that chat.

I think perhaps he has to successfully helm another $200 million blockbuster before he gets the gig.

Warcraft wasn't a bad movie. Just something that was never going to work out.

Krueger likes this.
  4. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    True about Warcraft. In fact, I actually like it.

5. DJT

DJT Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2017
    After watching Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and War of the Planet of the Apes, I'd love to see Matt Reeves make a Star Wars film.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It doesn't matter who they get anymore. Unless it's Denis Villeneuve I disapprove.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  7. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Watched BR 2049 a second time, and I liked it a whole lot more. Wallace is still a significant weak link (and the replicant resistant plot is too perfunctory) but there is just so much good in this film. The top 5 on my dream director list for a truly different Star Wars Anthology is now;

1. Cuaron
    2. Villeneuve
    3. Sapochnik
    4. Bigelow
    5. Soderberg

8. hansolothe3rd

hansolothe3rd Jedi Master

Mar 25, 2001
    Hello,

I would love to see Nicolas Winding Refn do the Boba Fett anthology film.

9. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    David Fincher talks about the pressures and perils of taking on Star Wars. Looks like he and Kennedy might have discussed it at one point.

http://collider.com/david-fincher-star-wars-sequels/#images

No, I talked to [producer Kathleen Kennedy] about that and look, it’s a plum assignment. I don’t know what’s worse: being George Lucas on the set of the first one where everyone’s going, “Alderaan? What the hell is this?” Where everyone’s making fun, but I can’t imagine the kind of intestinal fortitude one has to have following up the success of these last two. That’s a whole other level. One is that you have to endure the withering abuse of Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher, and the other is you have to live up to a billion or a billion-five, and that becomes its own kind of pressure.

I think [The Empire Strikes Back director Irvin Kershner] had the best job. He had a pretty great script and he had the middle story. He didn’t have to worry about where it started and he didn’t have to worry about where it ended. And he had the great reveal.

You’d have to really clear your head, I think. You’d have to really be sure this is what you wanted to do because either way it’s two years of your life, 14 hours a day, seven days a week.

10. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm sure Kathleen does lunch with plenty of Hollywood people. Plenty of director chats.

"you have to live up to a billion or a billion-five, and that becomes its own kind of pressure."

That's the deal now. You can't be that guy who made the first Star Wars movie that didn't take in the cash. Not enough to just be profitable.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  11. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Yeah, and while Fincher has tread the franchise waters before (he's got the World War Z sequel lined up next), it's tough for me to imagine him taking on Star Wars, given his uncompromising reputation.

12. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    Robert Zemeckis

He is directing an DC Movie right? Anyway, i would like a SW Movie in style and tone of Forrest Gump.

Some random Mandalorian who's grown up during Satines Rule and Mauls takeover of the Leadership. Who fights later under the Command of Bo-Katan against the Empire, and later, when the Empire Falls, is searching for his (or hers) Family that was taken apart during the civil war.

13. A Corpse of Disapproval

A Corpse of Disapproval Severed Head Admin star 3 Staff Member Manager

Sep 16, 2015
    He is attached to The Flash.

14. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Well, Joe Johnston just announced he's retiring after he's completed his next film, The Silver Chair. I'm bummed, because I really wanted Johnston to tackle one of the SW anthology films.

15. The Wagonmaster

The Wagonmaster Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2017
    Sergio Leone.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  16. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Krueger likes this.
  17. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
  18. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    I'm on the record for preferring that Villeneuve work on his own material, but perhaps there's an opportunity for him to direct the second film in Rian Johnson's new trilogy?

GregMcP likes this.
  19. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    He praises Rogue One for doing something a bit different. He'd want to put his own spin on a movie. It would be interesting to see how much he could get away with.

20. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    id love to see the duffer brothers get a crack at it, or Ava Duvernay, speilberg would be great, I wouldn't like BLADE RUNNERS 2049s look in star wars its to techy for star wars in my opinion to sci-fi if you will.

21. JAYson Foster

JAYson Foster Jedi Padawan

Nov 26, 2017
    Matt Reeves!!!!

22. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'd happily go for that.

JAYson Foster likes this.
  23. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    I would actually rather he concentrates on Dune. I think that's right up his alley, actually.

24. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    On the one hand, I want a director who hasn't made any films for a preexisting franchise, and on the other hand, I'd prefer those types of directors continue to pursue non-franchise material. Neil Blomkamp directing a Boba Fett film remains my most ideal aspiration.

25. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    Yep, Neil Blomkamp is definitely a director who I would like to see dip his toes into an established IP, yet at the same time I want him to continue making his own stuff. I'm still waiting for a sequel to District 9, although I sadly think the chances are slim.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.