main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo [Official Info] Solo: A Star Wars Story - May 25, 2018

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by newdawn12, Dec 29, 2014.

1. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I woke to this message on my phone this morning.
    I am sitting here on my computer at 6:45am.

[​IMG]

Star Wars HQ, and Google, can DIAF.
    I'm goin' back to bed.

2. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Incredibly generic title predicted months ago. Han Solo at Stars' End has flair. Han Solo deserves better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I think what you meant to say was "Han Solo deserves specifically what I want" rather than "better." :)

I personally find "Solo" to be an infinitely better name than "Han Solo at Star's End." Not to mention that him being at "Star's End," whatever that is, may have nothing to do with the story, so...

ETA: Further, as the film allegedly spans multiple stages in Han's life, giving it a name that's specific to one event may not be appropriate. Looks like this will be a seriously character-centric narrative. In which case, "Solo" makes a lot of sense.

4. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    To be honest a character centric Han Solo narrative doesn't sound like all that great of an idea. We already know him and he's not a multidimensional character. A straight adventure plot would be best which is the kind of plot suggested by the old Del Rey books. It's their story to tell and I don't know what it is, but whatever they produce it seems to me that 'SOLO' title generic. I can't imagine an Indiana Jones title without mention of a McGuffin in the title. Besides, 'SOLO' is so completely neutral that it inspires little expectation or anticipation for the story.

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I mean, it tells you the story is about Han Solo. Because the story is about Han Solo. Who, from the four films we’ve had with him in which he’s not the lead protagonist, displayed he’s one of the more multi-dimensional chapters in the series.

Gigoran Monk and my kind of scum like this.
  6. Corellian Blue

Corellian Blue Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2017

=D=

7. Corellian Blue

Corellian Blue Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2017
    I have a confession to make....

The only problem I have with this film is the amount of pure, unadulterated HATE it seems to have generated -- across a range of platforms.

Hate for:
    - the concept
    - what plot points may/may not be covered
    - Kathleen Kennedy
    - Lawrence Kasdan
    - and all the stuff concerning L&M
    - the fact Harrison can't be a younger version of himself
    - and how dare they make a Han Solo movie that doesn't have Harrison in it
    - the fact Alden is not Harrison's doppelganger
    - oh, and he's not tall enough
    - and now the damn title of the movie isn't good/worthy enough.

I just do not get it. And, as a long-time SW fan and Han obsessive (since the very beginning), it depresses me.

The positiveness on this thread is my only hope.

*Sniff*. I love you guys.

Gigoran Monk and cwustudent like this.
  8. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Hey, positivity is great. Like Han said, "Come on, let's keep a little optimism here." I mean, the movie could still suck, but for some strange reason I have a really good feeling about it.

Please excuse this idiotic typo, I was typing this while taking a break at the gym because I have garbage priorities.

smudger9 and Gigoran Monk like this.
  9. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    At this point, we need some kind of teaser, because that would really help assuage a lot of people’s fears of it’s good.

10. Immortiss

Mar 10, 2013
    I have no fears or hate for the film or its concept. I don't mind that Ehrenreich is starring and not Ford. I'm looking forward to it, I just don't like the title. I think they could do better. I'm also not a fan of the STAR WARS Story moniker either. I think they can do better on the title front.

Edit: If you like that's great.

PymParticles likes this.
  11. A Corpse of Disapproval

A Corpse of Disapproval Severed Head Admin star 3 Staff Member Manager

Sep 16, 2015
    After this, they are going to have one heckuva time promoting any future "A Star Wars Story" films featuring solo outing from characters. Their titles will be fine on posters and trailers... talking about Vader or Kenobi's "solo film" on talk shows will require linguistics coaching. :p

B3 and Gigoran Monk like this.
  12. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    We already know who Han Solo is in the OT and ST. We don’t know who he was before that. There’s literally nothing in the OT that tells you why Han Solo was so cynical, why he became a smuggler, and why he took a liking to Luke and Leia. So there’s lots of new character ground the film can explore. For example, I love the idea that Han may have had a little brother (or close friend) that he lost, and that Luke ends up filling that gap for him. Such a storyline could add a really satisfying and poignant layer to Han and Luke’s relationship in the OT. I find that to be a potentially far more interesting approach than just a bubble gum adventure, though I expect a lot of that as well.

13. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I feel the bubblegum adventure is going to be mostly relegated to the second act. The first act seems more concerned with setting up how Han went from racer to Imperial to smuggler, and I imagine the third act will be his past coming to haunt his present as a smuggler. The second act will just be adventures in smuggling, and this fits what we’ve heard that the film spans seven years divided into three distinct time periods; one per act. I imagine it’ll feel kind of like a trilogy condensed into one movie.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  14. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007

Exactly, and the delay in putting out a teaser or any official images has allowed the negativity to grow. I'm sure their original plan would have been a teaser around August, until L&M got the axe.

One thing is for sure, we're in for one hell of a concentrated marketing campaign for SOLO!

15. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    [​IMG]

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  16. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Don’t get me wrong, Chewie! You’re Han’s best pal. But certainly not his “little” brother surrogate. That’d be Luke. At least I hope that’s an approach they take.

17. ColdLazarou

ColdLazarou Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    Han Solo and the Lost Legacy That's Probably Lost Because It's Been "Thrown Under A Bus" Or Something: A Star Wars Story.

Surely this would have placated everyone?

18. A Corpse of Disapproval

A Corpse of Disapproval Severed Head Admin star 3 Staff Member Manager

Sep 16, 2015
    ... especially when we discover it was Kitster. Or was Snoke Kitster? Whichever Kitster story has the most dramatic impact.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    We also don't know how he became friends with Lando, why they apparently hadn't seen each other/spoken in some time by the time that we get to ESB, and how the whole "he's my friend, but I don't trust him" thing even works? We also don't know what role Emilia Clarke's character plays into all of this (a lost love, a rival smuggler/bounty hunter, his sister, etc)?

So yeah, there's plenty of places to maybe go. Han's backstory being so unexplored in the OT is actually an advantage in this regard.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  20. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    The thing is though is that there are so many better stories they can tell in these anthology movies than a Han Solo origin.

21. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    How do you know that? \

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    A Boss Nass origin movie for my dear friend.

23. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007

Have to disagree here:
    One of the OT 3.
    We know nothing about him before he appeared in the Cantina in ANH.
    His story links with 2 major OT supporting characters, 2 supporting OT villains and the most iconic ship in Star Wars.
    Potential links to the Empire.
    Set in the unused time period between ROTS and R1.

Sounds like a dream to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PymParticles likes this.
  24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Obviously the plan is to give a casual viewer a hook, a reason, to see the movie.
    You might like to see a story about some Darth from the novels, but that just alienates the audience. It costs a few hundred million

This is easy for the audience.
    A few familiar characters. Full blown Empire baddies. It's "Star Wars".

And I think it is quite legit to make movies set during The Empire. The Saga shows its birth and death, so stories set within it such as Solo and Rogue fill out something important and interesting.

Sort of like the Animations filled out the actual Clone Wars. These movies show the actual Empire.

PymParticles and Krueger like this.
  25. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    This is a good thing! It may be something we wish we could go back to after this film... :cool: Don't get me wrong - I hope they knock it out of the park, but I see so much downside to this project. I have yet to see anyone in SW come off better when their backstory is touched upon...

I will give RO Vader and Tarkin - Their scenes complemented what we already had of them in the OT (not really backstory as such)