main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Diversity in the Sequel Trilogy (see warning on page 11)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Rickleo123, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Well:
    The Leia novel implies that Vice Admiral Holdo is bisexual. So they could maybe reference that in the film. They probably won't, but it's there.

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I have a strong feeling that at some point we'll either be getting films, or TV shows, set during the post-ROTJ period. So Sloane has a shot, I think.

Yeah, but Hela seems to fit the "evil ice queen/ witch" trope, which we've seen in the Chronicles of Narnia, 101 Dalmatians, Wizard of Oz, MacBeth, Ran (Kurosawa's adaptation of King Lear), Game of Thrones, Jurassic World, and countless other stories. So that's why I want to see a lot more female heroines before we see a lot more female villains. Unless, as I mentioned, the female villains are of a different mold than the typical scheming, manipulating type. Some more blunt force female villains, perhaps.

3. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah but at least it's Hela and not Enchantress in Thor. I love Amora but the first female lead villain should be one who is not trying to bone the hero. Then again they could have done female Loki like JMS did which would have rocked. But seriously this might be off topic but comics seriously have a problem of either the "evil ice queen/witch" or "just wants to be loved by the hero" archetypes for their female villains. Like name a Batman female villain who is not one of those two, all I can think of is Shiva

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  4. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm fine with diversity in a Star Wars movie. That's really not the problem, though. But if he or she can't act or they start butchering their lines because of a language barrier then I'm going to have a problem with casting someone diverse.

5. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    A White/Male actor can do that just as easily.

6. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Have you seen the male villains? "I'm either cartoonishly evil, diabolically evil or an evil asshat"

I agree that you find more male villains but those in general are extremely trope-y. The unique ones aren't really villains at all, just rogue.

The evil ice queen/manipulative type is just as common as the ones I pointed out.

7. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Diversity doesn't have to mean black or white...it could be someone foreign.

8. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah but the issue is that most female villains fall into sexist stereotypes. A villain like the Joker is not a harmful stereotype of masculinity that degrades men (you could say that he is problematic for representation of the mentally ill and even homosexuality certainly though), but Joker or Lex or sinestro do no perpetuate sexist ideas of men. The fact that most female villains are either into the male lead and have trouble deciding between him and their cause, use their sexuality as a weapon to manipulate which perpetuates the sexist way men see women as being cruel manipulators or is just used as an excuse for the artist to draw a practically nude woman, and then the ice queen stereotype which plays into another sexist idea in culture that women are prudes and are shrews.

There is no problem with a character like Hela or a character like Catwoman inherently, but there is an issue with almost every female villain playing into sexist ideas men have about women. Yeah there are villains that embody toxic masculinity but those are there to combat social problems. Ivy's characterization is hardly there to combat how men look at women. She instead is essentially a perversion of feminism and strong women. Now there are exceptions to this like the issue of Gotham Central with Ivy or her role in the new 52. My point is just that cartoonishly evil male villains and other types of male villain stereotypes are not remotely as problematic or symptom of a larger social issue as female villain archetypes

La Calavera and CEB like this.
  9. A Corpse of Disapproval

A Corpse of Disapproval Severed Head Admin star 3 Staff Member Manager

Sep 16, 2015
    The next massive step I am hoping to see is the continued inclusion of WOC in bigger roles... but not buried under make-up or cgi. I could not be praying harder that Black Panther is a monstrous box office success and Hollywood takes a hint.

10. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Agreed. Getting WOCs all kinda of acting roles is important but we really need to have more of them in the forefront with no makeup or CG. It's important to directly show the audience the diversity. A little black girl might not know Maz is played by an actress who she can look up to, by having KMT in the role of Rose the diversity and inspirational potential of the character is more direct.

Also if Black Panther does not do INSANE at the box office I am gonna be so freaking angry

Jedi Merkurian and Blastaar like this.
  11. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015

Why? There are a dozen reasons why Black Panther could do "just okay" other than racism.

12. A Corpse of Disapproval

A Corpse of Disapproval Severed Head Admin star 3 Staff Member Manager

Sep 16, 2015
    Nobody said its failure would be due to "racism". Everyone who has mentioned its success has done so solely in the context of its successful box office alerting Hollywood execs that such casting is to be encouraged.

13. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Exactly, thank you

14. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    I think LFL/Disney has done pretty well so far. Casting a Female and a POC as the 2 new Protagonists in their 1st movie of the new trilogy should be applauded considering the money they invested. Rogue 1 also had a very diverse ensemble cast.

CrazyOldJedi and vncredleader like this.
  15. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Adam Driver is white.

16. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I think Adam played Kylo, not Finn.

17. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    But Rian said....

18. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    I don’t know what movie Rian watched but Kylo is obviously the villain of TFA

19. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    Conflicted....

20. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Vader: So you're saying that if I hit Express on this microwave, it'll heat up my coffee faster?

22. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Rian Johnson
    @rianjohnson

Replying to @thexlastxjedi
    Finn is absolutely a main protagonist also.

23. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    I think that the confusions comes from some of the people involved referring to Rey and Kylo as "almost co-leads." And Finn being so underplayed in the marketing so far. Also the people involved have been saying things that seem contradictory with each other in-general.

24. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

lol lady shiva just whoops everyone. Female xmen villains don't really fall into that trope though. Deathstrike, Cassandra Nova, and emma frost (before reformation), etc.

How is kylo ren called a "protagonist" in any context? a "male lead"? sure, it certainly looks that way, but a "main protagonist"?

AhsokaSolo, CEB and vncredleader like this.
  25. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Yep. As far as I’m concerned, Kylo Ren is an antagonist if we’re going by what these terms actually mean. There may be redemption at some point down the line (not sure how I feel about that, but happy to reserve judgement until I see how it plays out) but there’s no question that at least as far as TLJ’s opening goes, he begins the film as antagonist. Maybe a more nuanced, pained antagonist, but an antagonist all the same.