main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    It's not really retconning. Ben lied to Luke about his father's fate and we can also assume everything else he told him was a big fat lie too to protect him from the truth.

2. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I recently watched an old episode of "Walking with Dinosaurs" which Branagh narrated on British TV in 1999, and his voice especially just sounds perfect.

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  3. ZY-Fighter

ZY-Fighter Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    I've always liked Kenneth Branagh. The idea of him as Obi-Wan is awesome! Maybe someone will be kind enough to get him for an upcoming movie...

Speaking of which, I'm really keen to see the Obi-Wan movie announced. Surely Disney will decide to stop trying to plug the leaks and just come out with it!

4. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Tantalising prospect isn't it?
    [​IMG]

Avnar and ZY-Fighter like this.
  5. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    So... was a Kenobi movie actually confirmed? I went back to page 71 and cannot tell if it is a joke or real.

6. ZY-Fighter

ZY-Fighter Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    Not confirmed by Disney or Lucasfilm. I know, it's a really misleading thread title but for whatever reason it's not been changed.

There have been leaks and very, very strong rumours and I wish they'd just tell us.

7. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I've now changed the thread title.

Darkslayer and TCF-1138 like this.
  8. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    I think the deal is probably that both Lucasfilm and Ewan are interested but they just can't come up with an idea that's worth making a movie of.

He can't exactly face Vader story-wise and he's supposed to just be watching over Luke.

The new canon has already established that he didn't do much for the first ten years or so (it's in the comics) and his showdown with Maul (which conceivably could have made some sense in a movie has now been covered by rebels so that's out too.

So that basically leaves him kicking around the sand scaring off Tuskens and buying spare vaporator parts from Jawas.

Now of course all of us here would pay to see that movie but I'm not sure it'd reach a wider audience.

Erkan12, Daneira and Darth_Pevra like this.
  9. Bob Effette

Dec 20, 2015
    Not necessarily. There are, for example, many western story tropes that would lend themselves well to a Kenobi movie. He doesn't have to stay on Tatooine for the entire movie, and even if he did, it just takes some imagination to create some interesting environments.

You know the shots we have been seeing of Crait where the flat terrain is flanked by a high bluff of cliffs? I always imagined a similar environment at the edge of the Dune Sea. A vast expanse of huge cliffs rising from the sand to a plateau, with a ravine split right down the middle of the cliffs. Built into the sides of this crack reaching back into the cliffs would be a bustling, multi level desert metropolis. A kind of haphazard settlement all stacked up on top of one another, with skiffs and sail barges flying in and out of it.Those kind of vistas would be great on Tattooine.

Avnar likes this.
  10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    An Obi-Wan movie could work. I think one of the biggest questions Lucasfilm are asking is whether he should remain on or leave Tatooine during the film. It’s a difficult one. My own gut tells me that Lucasfilm will never, ever sign off on a SW film that takes place on one planet. So what does that mean? It doesn't mean Obi-Wan necessarily has to leave Tatooine. I envision a film where Obi-Wan remains grounded throughout, but the film is littered with flashbacks, which will obviously take place on other planets and in other environments. Also, any supporting characters will do the planet hopping instead, with everyone converging on Tatooine for the third act. Maybe.

B3 likes this.
  11. BattleDroid1138

BattleDroid1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 6, 2000
    Obi-Wan and Owen Lars put an end to slavery on Tatooine once and for all...

12. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    I like this idea but wasn't one of the reasons to have these stand alone films was to try things that would normally not be done?

B3 likes this.
  13. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Krueger,

If you got to let me know - should I stay or should I go?

Bob Effette,

Nicely described. Oh, what a cliffhanger. :eek:

14. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    I think Obi-wan should use Jedi mind tricks on those he encounters in the film. Maybe he wipes their memory of him, or something he does. This way, there's no trying to connect it to A New Hope.

I would like to see two or three stories converge together, Obi-wan and a new rival, aong with Liam Neeson's return as Qui-gon, AND Luke learning how to fly a Skyhopper with his friend Biggs Darklighter. The two stories basically come together and Luke learns to fly, Obi-wan takes out his new rival and potential threat to Luke, and Qui-gon makes his final appearance as a force ghost at the end in front of Obi-wan.

Maybe Luke helps Obi-wan find this new bad guy or something important (think Indiana Jones), and Obi-wan teaches the young boy to fly and takes him off the planet with him, with Uncle Owen getting furious about it.

Something along the lines of this.

15. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I really wish that movie wouldn' take place on Tatooine. My dream is Yabiim - to make that film a really dark adult venture. I recall clearly the first speculations in this forum after TFA was announced. Somebody imagined Lupita Nyong'o to play Ventress. There was also a Ventress-Obi-Wan encounter in the novel "The Cestus Deception". Something like that would be really cool IMHO.

16. CarboniteSolo

Oct 11, 2013
    It don't have to, Kenobi can take Luke with him on other planets, at the end, he wipes Owen, Beru and Luke's memory with the force, but leaves certain details for Luke.

The movie starts with Luke watching Biggs fly through Beggar's Canyon, wishing he could be more like him. Qui-gon communicates with Kenobi (voice only) and tells him he must train the chosen one's offspring. He is hesitant at first because of his mistake with Anakin. but agrees with Qui-gon. Kenobi looks for Luke to give him Anakin's lightsaber and to start his training, but Owen won't have it, so Kenobi force communicates with Luke, telling him to meet him somewhere out in the desert. Luke begins his training.

Something happens in the middle with the villain of the film discovering Luke and Kenobi training, perhaps there's something more than him watching them train. There's a chase, which leads to flying off the world to 2 other planets. Obi-wan shows Luke how to fly as they go on an adventure, going from one planet to 2 other planets chasing the villain, then back to Tatooine.

Then at the end of the film Kenobi visits Owen and Beru wipes their memory of Luke being gone for several days. Luke shows off his new skills to Biggs, but has no memory of how he knows so much and where he learned it from. Qui-gon appears to Kenobi and gives him praise for teaching young Luke, and warns him of something, and Kenobi heeds the warning. It ends with Kenobi and Qui-gon's force ghost watching over young Luke. Iris out.

I want them to incorporate certain elements into the film.

17. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    CarboniteSolo,

And during that journey with Luke, Obi-Wan nearly kills Palpatine but fails when Vader comes to help his Master. Afterwards Obi-Wan is wiping off Palpatine's and Vader's memory about his little coup d'Etat. That's why Vader remembers Obi-Wan in Ep. IV as a presence, he hadn't felt for ... sorry, dude, Obi-Wan wiped my memory as the memory of all the people who went to see that movie as well. ;)

18. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    What about this new trilogy that was just announced? I heard a rumor a while ago that they might be working on an Obi-Wan trilogy, not just one film. Has anyone else heard this? To me 3 films would be too much.

Mostly Handless and Avnar like this.
  19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The trilogy they just announced isn't going to be about Obi-Wan. It's confirmed to be about new characters and set in "a corner of the Galaxy that Star Wars lore has never explored," which most people are speculating means a different time period and others think means in the Unknown Regions. If they make a Kenobi film, it's going to be one movie.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  20. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004

Well, Obi-Wan sitting around doing nothing for 20 years really isn't borne out by the new canon. We have the whole Maul incident from Rebels, we have a vision of him defending and fighting a group of bad guys endangering Luke and the Lars homestead in From a Certain Point of View, details on some of his activities in the form of a diary from the comics, Quinlan Vos crossing paths with him, etc.

I think with proper writing, they could come up with an interesting storyline where he is faced with a new danger on Tatooine itself, and that this somehow threatens Luke and his secret, so he has to deal with it.

They could also go the Solo movie route, and show him at several different stages of his life, like he's reminiscing during his exile on Tatooine, and then eventually, the new conflict or action ties into that. There's lots of unknowns about his character that they could show. It would be nice to see how he finds out about Vader living following their duel, since I don't believe the new canon has addressed that yet, although I haven't read all of the new comics.

CarboniteSolo, B3 and GregMcP like this.
  21. CarboniteSolo

Oct 11, 2013
    I wouldn't mind seeing the scene from Rebels in live action, with a Qui-gon force ghost thrown in at the end.

22. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    It would be kind of jarring to see Ewan as Obi-Wan again. The prequels were so distinct in their cinematography and composition that seeing the same character in a “normal” movie would be strange.

23. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Think about Mustafar in Rogue One. The PT fans loved it and the OT fans got to see it in a new light.

Quiff_vs_Sith likes this.
  24. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    What shall Obi-Wan probably do at Mustafar? Chase away poor old Vaneé and destroy Vader's bacta tank?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  25. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    Mustafar didn't seem different in R1 than in ROTS other than being set during the day.

wobbits likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.