main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Reading NJO...Again

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicewood, Sep 17, 2017.

1. spicewood

spicewood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 26, 2007
    So do they ever reconcile this with R1, or is this thrown out with the rest of Legends. Just curious, not complaining, because I absolutely loved R1.

“Shirka’s allusion was clear. A wounded Imperial soldier Leia rescued had been the first to tell of Palpatine’s superweapon, the Death Star.”

Excerpt From
    Book 05 - Agents of Chaos II - Jedi Eclipse
    James Luceno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

NJO is Legends, R1 is Canon. Everything released since 2014 is considered Canon.

spicewood likes this.
  3. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

In canon, Bodhi Rook and Tivik in Rogue One take the role that Basso (the injured rebel) did in legends Star Wars radio drama. So Basso and that sentence in Agent of Chaos II is not, and could not, be true in canon. Unlike Lord Tion who is canon again, although his role in that same storyline isn't.

SWpants likes this.
  4. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Sure it could. There's no reason Leia couldn't have heard about the Death Star from another source other than Rogue 1 around about the same time.

5. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

Sigh, are you one of those people trying to establish a one canon story line even though the stuff released since the Disney takeover is inconsistent with everything released before hand?

Canon: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, RO, Solo, CW (2009-2014), Rebels, Forces of Destiny, Marvel (2014 - present), Del Rey novels (2014 - present).
    Legends: Bantam novels, NJO, DNT, LOTF, FOTJ, Marvel Comics ('80s), Dark Horse Comics (- 2014).

NJO does not fall into the same category as Rogue One.

6. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    No

None of this has anything to do with what I said

7. spicewood

Jun 26, 2007
    Canon is strictly categorized, sure, but might not need be mutually exclusive I think. Disney could always use what they want as it’s their franchise now. Again, not complaining, just curious. R1 was bloody fantastic.

8. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

You're taking a line that was written in the 2000s well before Rogue One was conceived.

Legends: Death Star origins scattered, who saw it first is up for debate.
    Canon: Death Star origins dealt with, Leia not first person to see it.

9. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Still nothing to do with what I said

Anyway, there's nothing in new canon, or Rogue 1, that precludes other people hearing rumours or learning about the existence of a secret Imperial weapon from other sources.

10. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I'm not either. I like two separate universes. But I do go with the thinking that what has happened in legends could have happened in canon until proven not possible. I think that's the best way to look at it, otherwise you have such an empty canon universe. So NJO has been proven not to have occurred in the canon universe but that doesn't mean that everything that is mentioned in NJO cannot have happened. It's a fair question to ask if Leia "could" have been told about the deathstar by Basso in canon storyline. My opinion is that couldn't have happened, and EmperorHorus thinks it could have, these are both fair opinions, its just fun to wonder about these kind of things.

Don't forget Ahsoka's words
    [​IMG]

spicewood likes this.
  11. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    I don't even know what Basso is, or anything about that story tbh. But I've relatively familiar with the new canon so far as well as Rogue One and it's various tie-ins and adaptations. From what I've seen it was never stated that Leia had no idea there was a secret Imperial weapon or "Death Star" other than information leaked by Galen Erso.
    There could have been other leaks in new canon easily, potentially.

Now if this Legends "Basso" guy gave Leia the plans for the DS, then no, that couldn't have happened, and if that's what was being discussed I stand corrected. Also maybe there are other aspects of this "Basso" story that couldn't mesh with Rogue One for various reasons but that's not what I was referring to in my post.

I was just responding purely to what i highlighted, that "that sentence in Agent of Chaos II is not, and could not, be true in canon". Which I don't think is true, again unless I've missed something specific about that line because I can't remember exactly what it was . . .

12. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    NJO is Legends. I think this is pretty much clear.

A question for everyone are there any plotlines, dropped plotlines, or potential plotlines you wish the NJO had carried through?

I felt the insiders plotline was interesting, as well as the whole Ryn network.

Also I wanted to see more of the peace brigade.

So not just plotlines but ideas, characters, and concepts that the NJO introduced but you felt could have been or should have been expanded on.

OutsiderJediSam likes this.
  13. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Luke being poisoned by Shimmra's amphistaff.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OutsiderJediSam, Ghost and SWpants like this.
  14. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I felt that Onimi's story fell flat. Granted, I haven't read any of the related comics, so I don't know if we ever find out how he became telepathic, why he developed a Force sense, how/why he was even visible in the Force, etc. Like what did his mutations and implants do to change him?

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Droid morality, more Insider stuff, Ryn Network, The Yuuzhan Vong regaining the Force, every character in the EU up to that point that wasn't in the NJO series.

16. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The comics are entirely tangential to the NJO series. Invasion crosses path with Luke and the Solos, but is essentially totally separate from them and i'm not clear where it sits in the timeline since it was written years after the fact and shoehorned in. The only other NJO era comics i know of are a Kyle Katarn story in Star Wars Tales that got tuned into an action figure Comic Pack resulting in the only YV warrior figure ever, and the Chewbacca tribute comic.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SWpants likes this.
  17. spicewood

Jun 26, 2007
    I could have enjoyed more Luke and Vergere back and forth. Don’t think there’s enough. Also, the retcon about her being Sith doesn’t jibe with her sacrifice to stop the genocide of the YV. I can buy her corruption after so long in captivity, what she had to do to survive and ingratiate herself, but not being Sith.

18. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Yeah I always thought it would have been great to have more novels set during the NJO published, featuring different characters. There's a plethora of other EU characters as well that could have had 5 years worth of adventures during the war but were hardly, if ever, mentioned during the actual NJO novels.

Sanguinius likes this.
  19. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    The plots surrounding the droid genocide by the Vong, and how it could move towards another narrative about droid sentience, would have been good to follow up on. Or even a way to insert new stories into the existing timeline.

Dr. Steve Brule and spicewood like this.
  20. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I think his story was covered pretty well at the end of TUF and there were hints that something was significant about him earlier in the series.

He was for all intents and purposes an monoxide levels maniac with delusions of god hood combined with intense paranoia and resentment to boot.

I personally enjoyed that-that the jester or court fool was the mastermind behind the scenes.

21. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004

Oh. So not worth getting/reading the comics?

Darth Invictus Yeah, those hints are there and it's known he's significant in the end, but I want to know the why and how his self-mutilation changed him. It's not enough for me to just accept that somehow the self-multilation made him present in the Force.

22. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    I never really thought Onimi needed much more explanation. Something about him being a shaper and grafting yammosk cells onto himself somehow which helped him control other Vong and hence presumably was present in the force as a result.

Sure you could go into more detail about some of the specifics but it never seemed as though there were huge mysteries surrounding him and his past at the end. His story was pretty much an open book.

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Edit: intense omnicidal maniac with delusions of godhood and intense paranoia and resentment to boot.

24. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    In the vast Star Wars universe, yes, his story is quite open. I'm just being obsessive about something that likely can't be explained. Most of the time I'm perfectly fine - Force ghosts? Sure! Abeloth? Not a fan but I can roll with the mystique. Sabers made of light that don't burn anyone? Magic! Let's go!

Why/how a Yuuzhan Vong can exist in the Force? NOT ENOUGH MUST HAVE MORE INFORMATION.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Depends on what you're after. The visual element, coupled with a more active Luke, worked well for me. NJO was always a bit weak on the visuals side, often going for analog-this and that, so getting some visuals helped.

It's not without its weaknesses, mostly Kaye, a so-strong-female-character as to be a near parody of the stereotype. Sadly, it died early with other late DHC series.

Nom von Anor and SWpants like this.