main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) & Battlefront 2 (2017) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by IG_2000, Jun 10, 2013.

1. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Christ that's an awful review (I mean awfully written), but I guess that's what you get from businessinsider.com...

Ender Sai likes this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014

I never play editor when I read online reviews. I'm just concerned with the content.

3. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    I mean the content's awful. The author levels complaints at the game which are present with practically every shooter game ever made, and while it's perfectly ok to not like FPS games (this guy clearly does not) it's not fair to withhold that bias from readers. His criticisms of the campaign seem rather harsh too, and in some cases demonstrate that he hasn't really paid attention to it (eg, Iden questions orders from the very beginning of the game).

The point being that overall this review comes across like someone presupposed to not liking it who then went on tirade determined to see only negatives. It's not balanced in the slightest. It reads like clickbait and will only reinforce the views of the mob, while also sabotaging the game and the companies that made it.

coervus likes this.
  4. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Judging from what I've seen on Youtube, the campaign looks fun (and I like the story) but it just ain't enough to warrant buying the game. Maybe when it drops below twenty quid. Online multiplayer can go **** itself. Would buy the game now if they included Skirmish, but would need to be all maps and a decent variety of game modes.

5. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Disney needs to take the license off these clowns.

vw_jedi and unironically like this.
  6. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I mean, I think the criticisms of the campaign are fair. Iden ostensibly spent years as a top Imperial agent-- even if we assume nepotism let her skip much of the service to get there, it's still an abrupt change of heart for someone who was just trying to protect a massive planet-killing-station (the previous iteration of which obliterated an entire peaceful world).

It's not necessarily the about-face in and of itself (or the sudden romance with Del, which also seemed to come out of nowhere), it's that those things never were really given time to develop. I could see a reality where Papa Versio twisted her into this soldier and its her realization of that that causes her defection-- but we weren't presented that, instead it was like "The Empire is changing by killing its own people!"...when really Alderaan was part of the Imperial Senate and Vader had been choking out dudes while she was still running missions.

I enjoyed it, just think it could've been fleshed out a bit more. Hopefully the DLC doesn't rush things as much, at this pace their daughter will become a Jedi outta left field :p (and peeps are already are thinking she's Rey!)

7. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    At this point I feel like I won't buy the game. The only selling point for me was the campaign. But apparently it's short and is intruded by film characters. The multiplayer won't sell me either. All I want to play is the Empire and I already can do that in BF1. Plus the player customization seems more limited.
    Plus Iden apparently becoming a Rebel sounds awful. I just wanted to play a game about a loyal trooper. Republic Commando wouldn't have been better if 38 became a Seppie.

8. unironically

unironically Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2017
  9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I got Battlefront (with a season pass) about this time last year for something like US$20 on Origin. It was pretty, it looked and sounded like Star Wars, but lacked the depth I want from Star Wars.

At the end of every match it's the usual imbeciles from mass market FPS' making stupid comments like asking another player to kill themselves, accusing someone of cheating, etc.

The sequel basically adds an afterthought-length campaign and an undisguised attempt at cynically ripping players off, so why am I interested?

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Buying a PS4 just for this would be... unwise.

But for the pile of great games it has? That'd be a better move.

11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017

You'd probably be better off getting a decent gaming PC, or a PS3/Xbox 360 if you don't have either. I maintain that you shouldn't buy a console until the next generation of console is out. At that point, the price will have dropped to a third of its original price, and there will be a full library of exclusive games.

12. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    The story seems pretty decent for Battlefront 2, but I'm still not sure about buying it. Might wait for at least two dlc's before picking it up.

13. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    I imagine you might all have deduced that I really like this game:p

I'll make no bones about it - I really didn't like the first Battlefront. Your criticism on that game is dead on. I feel this new one improves the game in every aspect. And Starfighter Assault alone is well worth price of £38 or whatever I paid for this one. I love the flying in this (in the mode that is supposedly most unbalanced by star cards, and where I play with none) and the maps are to die for (Ryloth and Kamino actually make me like the prequel content!).

The game can only get better from here on. I just wish that all the hoohaa wasn't stopping you guys from potentially have a blast like I am.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I just don't like the FPS genre outside of "adult" takes like Insurgency or Day of Infamy, where combat is lethal. And I think it's a terrible fit for Star Wars, in the same way I've hated how James Bond has become a shooter title.

I just don't watch the 5 good films (RO, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, TFA) and say "I wish I was one of those soldiers". I'd much rather create my own avatar and then have the things in Star Wars which feel like a Star Wars experience - so, flying a ship from location to location as well as dogfighting. So, walking around a city as well as shooting in it.

Star Wars deserves better than the mediocrity Battlefront can offer it.

vw_jedi likes this.
  15. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    I actually wish there were more opps to play the Starfighter mode-- right now it's either a huge objective-based multiplayer or missions in the campaign. A smaller multiplayer mode or (even better) arcade mode would be super dope and give more time to appreciate those awesome vistas.

It really is a mini-X-Wing within the game and they should utilize it more.

redxavier likes this.
  16. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Star Wars does deserve more, I'd agree. Top of my list is a Star Citizen-type game. An expansive, open-world where you create your own character and write your own story.

17. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I refuse to support EA in this. Considering we now have three or four legislative organizations investigating loot crates as gambling, and considering how EA had consistently ruined good games and studios, there is nothing that could make me buy this game.

That's a shame, too. The beta was fun. I like the game. Hell, I defended this game because of how much better it looked than the first. But I can't support it. Every dollar EA gets, the more power they'll have to lobby against actual change in the industry.

SpecForce Trooper and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Other major games with non-cosmetic Loot crates: Middle-Earth: Shadow of War, Destiny, Uncharted 4, Assassin's Creed Origins.

All by different companies. So it's not just EA. I mean, EA isn't great, I'm not saying that. But just targeting EA won't fix the industry.

Although, I've played all 4 of those other games, and none of them have compelled me to spend a single extra penny. Just playing the games was enough to have a satisfying enough reward loop.

But if they were to get more intrusive it could be a major problem, and not exactly clear on how deep the system runs in this example of BFII.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh yeah, it's more widespread than EA. It was simply that EA went further than the others.

Activision got away with combining great attention to historical detail and loot boxes falling from the sky onto the beach at Normandy!

20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    And I haven't bought any of those either, and have no plays to. Because loot crates are an intrinsically harmful practice to the industry and consumers. Even if you aren't using them in those games, you're still supporting games that are preying on other people to pad companies bottom line.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    I agree with Outsourced . Vote with your money people. You buy the game and we'll get Battlefront 3. I want a cheese-free shooter with tactics, personally.

22. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Hey now, I hate microtransactions and only bought the game after they suspended them! CUT ME SOME SLACK PLS

23. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    You realize they're gonna bring them back, right?

Like, that's not just me being cynical. That was confirmed by EA.

24. LloydChristmas

Sep 3, 2012
    Yeah but def won't be buying them. Also y'all had your chance to warn me off!

Real talk I avoided Shadow of War and NBA 2k17 b/c of them (well 2k was partly the cover athlete too :( )

25. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I also think that the reason it blew up so much was the simple fact it’s Star Wars. All those other series have large fanbases, but they pale in comparison to Star Wars.

I just don’t understand the thought process EA went through with their microtransactions. They have a ridiculously expansive universe with endless cosmetic options. If they’d done that it would’ve flown under the radar just like overwatch and made them would boatloads of money. Instead they tie it to the progression system and have it blow up in their face.

People will always be against microtransactions and fair enough. EA are greedy no doubt but they would’ve probably been fine as again it’s just costumes and skins etc. if they’d done this super obvious move they would’ve made MORE money than they would of by tying it to progression and wouldn’t be facing the insane backlash that has followed the past few weeks. I have bought loot boxes for overwatch here and there and I don’t mind that little extra expenditure. I’d probably do the same for BF2 however I’d never buy a progression loot crate.

TLDR - I don’t know it just feels like EA had a massive brain fade. Yes they want to make money. They would make more with cosmetics than progression and not had the backlash.

coervus and Jedi Ben like this.