main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I wish the Knightmare dream and the Flash vision would have paid off in the way that Deborah Snyder described at the Batman v. Superman press day in 2016 when she said Flash’s future scene actually came about in the middle of production:

I don't believe that scene will be ever paid off as Zack intended.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  3. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000

:eek: Wow!

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  5. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    [​IMG]

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    As an enormous geek for the Golden Age, all I am thankful for is that Shazam! seems to be being produced in a vacuum, away from all of this other drama.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    can someone plz clone kevin feige and throw a DC t-shirt on him. also will accept his less educated brothers, sisters, cousins, pets, whoever.

chaos is tiring

BigAl6ft6 and Darth_Invidious like this.
  8. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I just thought of something regarding the Flashpoint film, about how it could be used to further Barry's character development while keeping the timeline more or less consistent.

The Flashpoint timeline could be used as an alternate universe in which Barry travels as he experiments with his powers, in a sort of "crapsack world" dark mirror of his own reality, where he realises how minute changes can affect the broad timeline (the famous "butterfly effect"). At the same time, he becomes aware of the fact that the Reverse Flash is implicated in his mother's death, and he faces the choice of going back in time to save his mother and make it so that his father doesn't go to prison. But as he considers this, he also realises that if he saves his family, then maybe that means he doesn't get to become the Flash, thus depriving the Justice League of a valued ally in times of crisis, possibly paving the way for an Earth takeover by Steppenwolf. Heartbroken, he decides to leave the timeline as it is, but not before stepping back to warn Bruce that "Lois is the key", as seen in Justice League's turning point.

This theory is a bit bare-boned, but I think it's coherent enough. Perhaps some people better versed in DC lore could tell me if it's a sound idea.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Interesting idea, but I don't think a Flashpoint film should be used to validate or payoff that one scene in Batman v. Superman. DC has enough problems trying to make a good film. I mean, the announced Flash movie has already gone through 2-3 directors and scripts. I think the Flashpoint movie should retcon the DCEU much like Fox's X-Men: Days of Future Past did with the X-Men franchise and move forward, rather than make a divisive feel payoff. In comic books, the Flashpoint story served to retcon the comic universe and that's what everyone is expecting the film to do the same for the cinematic universe.

As for cloning and getting a Kevin Feige like figure to run the DCEU... hell yeah!

Well, if Justice League fails enough at the box office, there will certainly be changes on how WB approaches the DCEU. But they've been constantly learning the wrong lessons from their failures and success. Because Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy was both a critical and box office success and Green Lantern being the opposite, both a critical and box office failure, they felt their films had to be in the same tone as Nolan's Dark Knight.

In a March 4, 2015 interview with Variety, Warner Bros. chief Kevin Tsujihara stressed that characters like Batman and Deadshot are very different from that company’s signature Iron Man, Spider-Man and Captain America brands.

“The worlds of DC are very different,” he said. “They’re steeped in realism, and they’re a little bit edgier than Marvel’s movies.”

However, after the criticisms of Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice being too dour and the Hollywood Reporter article on the competing cuts of Suicide Squad, it's clear that the following films are not steeped in realism or edgier than Marvel's movies; just not that well put together. The DCEU dropped is method to distinguish itself from Marvel films. WB/DC's more recent film, Justice League, is very encapsulates the problems with the DCEU, in that they brought in a different tone and style of director to replace Zack Snyder in Joss Whedon, to supposedly make it more colorful, lighter and humorous. Dark tones or humor is not what DC should be focusing on, but rather good stories and well constructed films. I mean, take Logan for example, it's neither a comedy or light-hearted in tone but it's a good story and well developed film; so much so, some think it's worthy of an Oscar nomination(s).

10. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    NO NO NO

You know Flashpoint was simply about twist everything then reboot, which means people need to know everything about the ordinary DCverse well enough first right? If you use Flashpoint, it's going to be another disaster like BVS.

DCEU is on its track to build up the universe. The last thing they need is something like something like The Dark Knight Returns, Injustice League or Flashpoint, these stories need a lot of setup and went successful because ppl are bored with the ordinary setting. Insert them when the ordinary setting has not been built up yet, would simply cause huge damage. THIS was a major reason that WHY BVS had failed.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
  12. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    What Is the consensus on here Is The Justice League Movie any good? Should I see It after I get paid In the Beginning of December?

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It's worth noting that after Bruce is apparently "awake" after the Flash vision, papers are blowing around in the background. I'm pretty sure the Flash thing was real.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I really liked it cuz it's wacky and bombastic. I think the whole "tonal gearshift from Whedon to Synder" is a bit overblown, like Flash's introduction is from the Synder footage (from early comic con before Whedon came on) and it's pretty fun and quippy. One can see the seams as the film was stitched together from Whedon to Synder but it doesn't break it.

but if you only see one superhero movie from November, see Thor: Ragnarok. And save those pennies for The Last Jedi. But if you can splurge, I like Justice League a lot.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  15. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    The movie was. Not terrible, not amazing. Steppenwolf is a bad CGI creation howling about his mother boxes like a kid who lost his action figures; at least James Spader hammed his performance up. Most the JLA members were good. Superman's mustache removal was as bad as the reviews state. After two Avengers and The Defenders nothing in JL felt fresh outside of seeing the DC characters team-up.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

yes

obviously i disagree with al - ragnarok is lots of fun, and definitely worth a view, but you've really seen it before - many times.

17. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Of course it’s worth seeing! It’s a whole lot of fun with some awesome action. The characters are amazing. And make sure you stay for both end credit scenes!

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  18. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

I tend to be more of a Marvel fan but I did really enjoy Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman. Batman vs Superman was ok it was a good popcorn flick! I enjoyed Wonder Woman and suicide Squad so much that I bought them on Blu-ray I got the Extended cut of Suicide Squad it is awesome!

my favorite Marvel film is Captain American The First Avenger because it was a period Piece I also loved The show Agent Carter! Wonder Woman was also great because it was a period piece in WWI As for Thor Ragnarok I took my nephews to see it and we all enjoyed it we all thought it had almost as much humor as the two Guardians Of The Galaxy which we all loved as well!

I guess you can say I am an equal opportunist I love Marvel and DC My favorite Batman was the Nolan Batman Oscar Worthy IMHO and I love the old FOX Animated Batman and almost every Batman Cartoon movie that came after even new ones that come out today I Loved,
    [​IMG]

heels1785 likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The Killing Joke animated movie is basically a 30 minute somewhat disjointed Batgirl movie and a 40 minute pretty awesome Killing Joke adaptation. They don't exactly flow together all that well, and one is clearly a much higher quality than the other due to sticking to the source materiel, but I'm okay with just skipping to the killing Joke stuff in Killing Joke. that being said, I can kind of see how the two halves combine A) it gives Barbara / Batgirl something to do aside form just being shot B) they're both have thematic elements love and obsession and the dark paths it can take the characters.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  20. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Which is why it was done. "Public Enemies" was stretched out a bit, in order to make it work, but "The Killing Joke" needed something more.

21. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    But still man, that bit with Bruce ******* Babs...totally unnecessary to the story. And for just about everything else.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  22. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    That film was too weird. I couldn’t get into it.

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

It did give her an emotional connection to Bruce that would lead her to almost cross the line. Much like the death of Jason pushed Bruce's buttons. It illustrates why Bruce is such a cold bastard.

The second half was pure Alan Moore storytelling. So if you're not a fan of his, or have read little of his work, it'll have that effect on you. Especially with this story. Just be glad it wasn't a Grant Morrison story and I mean a purely Morrison story. Like "Final Crisis".

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    these guys seem to like it!

25. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    I like this anime spin on the Dark Knight ERRRRRRRRR Dark Samurai/Ninja.

Master_Lok likes this.