main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Showing Rey as weak wouldn't hurt anything since even Luke had his hand cut off in Episode 5 and only just about escaped but then episode 6 he came back stronger from it.

Would they do that to rey? it depends because there seems to be this fear of making a female character look weak and so you don't really get that often.

2. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    I'm very sure this will happen, but I'm less optimistic about Luke, clouded the future is....:yoda: [face_thinking]

3. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Actually I have problem with this. Men writers frequently thinks is feminist the idea of "she is a strong woman! She never cry! Look at her, her entire family was destroyed but she is always strong!", Patty Jenkins even talked about these tropes

“So, male superheroes could have Lois Lane. They can have love, they can have vulnerability, they can have complexity. But women superheroes or strong women characters had to be, ‘I don’t need anyone, I’m the toughest person in the world."

The idea that Leia and any other women need to be strong all the time actually is terrible. That's why characters like Sansa is attacked frequently, or you're a Strong Woman™ or people will call you a weak and boring character (Sansa isn't but people hate her because she isn't like Arya ~HBO version~)

4. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    I’m not gonna lie, I was disappointed that Leia’s force abilities weren’t addressed in TFA, and JJ brushes it off as just, “oh that stuff doesn’t interest Leia like being a general and in politics and having a family do.” RotJ ended with Luke telling Leia she would learn to use her abilities as he did. How realistic is it that anyone, male or female, would be like, “move stuff with my mind? Ponder the greater questions of life implicated by my newfound knowledge of the force? Blech! Boring.” Leia’s force abilities could inform all aspects of her life. She doesn’t need to be a Jedi to improve her skills or have her own opinions/philosophy on the Force. It felt to me more like JJ kept her stagnant because he was more interested in other things. I love General Organa, but I would have loved it more if this was a part of her story.

The new EU Leia novels have been better at showing Leia’s vulnerabilities imo. TFA took the easy, predictable way with her. I have hope that TLJ will be better at making her more three dimensional, both in terms of the force and Leia’s vulnerabilities.

5. minie

minie Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    you know as a rey fan, I want to see her fails in this movie,(not entirely but sometimes) I want to see her struggles, stumbles, seeks help from others (not self-sufficient all the time) or some morally grey areas about her...I hope we will able to see them in the movie. and yes I want to see luke in actions and emotional dynamic between him and Rey.

6. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    It isn't about always being positive. There's a difference between people discussing their opinions or even apprehensions, and being constantly negative. A large chunk of the discussion on this thread has been skewing into the negative range for a long time. It's tiresome, and even more ridiculous, considering that we barely know anything about Luke's journey in this movie.

We certainly have a good idea of where he starts in the movie, but don't know what the end result of the storyline on Ahch To or the training of Rey is, much less anything that he does later in the movie. My whole point is that the declarations that they hate Luke, are ruining Luke, "that's not my Luke," or that they "don't get" the character are asinine at this point, since none of us know what their plans are yet. People need to relax and not be so constantly negative, it really does ruin it for others.

7. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Well no one’s opinions on here are ruining anything for me... except when there’s a mass of posters trying to stifle opinions they disagree with.

8. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Tiberius.Ogden

Tiberius.Ogden Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2016
    Daisy Ridley: Luke is so cool in this one. Really.

Oscar Isaac: “So to be there, and to watch Mark revisit Luke, particularly in these scenes we were shooting towards the end of the film, was bizarre and jaw-dropping,” “It’s like when you see an old band re-unite and go on the road, and they don’t quite hit those high notes anymore—though in this situation it’s completely the opposite. It’s the fulfillment of where your imagination would take you when you imagine where Luke would go, or what he’s become.

John Boyega: They really do pay respect to both Mark and Carrie in this movie, because they deserve it.”

10. Darth Nikean

Darth Nikean Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 30, 2016
    I think it’s normal maybe for any actor to be nervous about his work .But Mark more so I think it’s a natural reaction

Demsa Aztor likes this.
  11. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Breznican said that she has handed the reins to Holdo. That indicates to me that the Han and Kylo situation has affected her so that she has to take a time-out of sorts.

12. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    It’s nice to see another fellow karate instructor on the boards. I have been involved in Okinawan Karate for over 33 years and I am also a martial arts instructor who is in his late 30’s.

Master_Lok likes this.
  13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    1. The term "Mary Sue" has been disallowed for awhile, now. Especially in reference to Rey.
    2. Totally unnecessary. Dial it down.

14. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
  15. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Not the point I was making at all. The characterisation I was discussing was Leia's character. She's not those things because she's female. She has to hold it together in a way the others don't and in a way she was raised to as a Princess (or a Royal if you don't like the feminine descriptor there) and a leader. Someone who puts the fate of the galaxy before everything else. If you think Patty Jenkins was talking about Leia, you've missed the point again. In no way did I relate any of those things to the fact Leia was female either. STRONG FEMALE CHARACTER is of course prone to being cliché and boring and as sexist as any other poorly developed character, female or male - as I've argued in other threads.

Mark thought Luke would be a joke in TFA and everyone would hate it. Bar a vocal minority, he was very wrong, and very happy to admit he was wrong as well. I think he's hedging his bets until he knows for sure how TLJ is received.

CEB likes this.
  16. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I had no idea it was a outlawed thing to say . Regardless of what you call it she is perfect at everything and is less compelling if it continues. Luckily it seems like she goes through a lot in this film

17. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

And remember that Mark is a world-class troll. He would totally want to make fans nervous and then when fans really love where Luke ends up, he basks in the joke AND the glory. I swear to Jeebus, I want to have a beer with that man!

TadoFett likes this.
  18. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I do concede that I think he is nervous on this one. I just don't think that's very relevant to the actual quality (unless you're one of the UPFs who hates the ST approach already, in which case your concerns are probably likely to be well-founded, regardless of the actual quality).

Strongbow likes this.
  19. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Sorry, but I don’t know what a UPF is....

I will say though that I haven’t liked what they have done with Luke, Han, or leia in this sequel trilogy, or in their backstories leading up to TFA. Sadly, I am very much afraid that I am not going to like the rest if this trilogy either. I don’t like anything I have seen or heard about Luke. We all know that leia will be lost to us after this next film, and I really, really hate the hints that Rey and Kylo will join up. There doesn’t seem to be much of anything here for me. I could tell from early rumors about TFA that I probably wouldn’t like it. Now, the same seems to be true for TLJ.

nightangel likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd be scared ****less too if I was reprising an iconic role 37 years later.

21. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Ultra Passionate Fan - Mark often mentions them. I would say we all know you will hate it regardless of actual quality - the direction is not to your taste and that is fair.

Immortiss and Strongbow like this.
  22. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Thanks for the information.

Yes, you’re right. It doesn’t seem likely that I will care for TLJ, and the quality of the film , the expertise with which it may have been made, means very little if one hates the story being told. For me, the filmmakers seem to have gone in the very worst possible direction that they could have taken, story wise.

nightangel and Satipo like this.
  23. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Great, still not excited for him to need to "relearn" to do all of that. He should have already learned it by now. Nor having to sit through "bitter old man who's given up" Luke beforehand either.

Satipo is right when he says that, it all comes down to taste.

ChildOfWinds As for TLJ, even assuming that they don't end up selling me on the Luke stuff (which I concede is unfortunately looking less and less likely as we get closer to it), there's still other stuff (the Leia/Poe/Rose/Holdo/DJ/Etc stuff, or maybe Phasma being cooler this time around, etc) that I still might really love.

So I wouldn't write the movie off entirely anyway

24. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
  25. PadawanDave

PadawanDave Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2017
    Well they did show her with a scar on her arm and getting tortured by Snoke which shocks me cause like you said Hollywood is fared to make female characters look weak or get hurt. Especially one as perfect and powerful as Rey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.