main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I said something similar on another thread, but I think they might be waiting to see how Solo does before officially greenlighting any future standalone films. I really liked Rogue One, as did most people judging by the critical and fan reception paired with its $1+ billion at the box office, and I'm still looking forward to Solo and I hope it's a good movie, but the standalone films have caused problems almost since day 1. Josh Trank had to be dropped from the Boba Fett film, which is either pushed back really far or outright cancelled. Tony Gilroy had to be brought on to do rewrites and supervise reshoots for Rogue One, which were likely pretty pricey. The original co-directors of Solo had to be publicly fired and replaced, which was a PR disaster heaped on of the skepticism that's been following the film since it was announced, and it sounds like the reshoots may have encompassed most of the film which can't have done any favors to the budget.

If Solo does well at the box office and with fans/critics/general audience, I'd expect Kenobi to be announced within a month or two, so either June or July.
    If Solo isn't well received critically and/or financially, I could see Lucasfilm quietly discontinuing the standalone films and switching from annual to bi-annual releases, with the cinematic arm of the franchise solely focusing on Johnson's new trilogy for a solid few years.

Lulu Mars and Baron_Papanerd like this.
  2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Perusing the site they have extremely unsexy articles on where and when movies are shot:

http://omegaunderground.com/2017/12...ction-start-date-revealed-delayed-late-march/

So it's really about getting ordinary and boring things like production schedules.

Now does this mean that it can't change?

No but as now it's scheduled for shooting in January of 2019 plus KK is the producer so chances are...

I'd doubt it has a thing to do with it unless Solo is a total disaster of Green Lantern proportions!

What if the same happens to the first of RJ's trilogy?

If anything an Obi-Wan movie with a Jedi is the next best thing to the saga and more than R1 or Solo.

3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016

I dunno tbh i mean the thing about Han Solo is that for the first time you have a different actor playing him and that role has always been harrisons until now so i don't know how well people will take to it, even if they throw in chewy, the falcon and all this other stuff to make make it familiar.

While with Obi Wan if Ewan does return there will be a strong familiarity there with him returning to the role after 15 years.

Even if you look at it and say the Ewan was part of the prequels and they were not amazingly well received i don't know whether that would actually hurt the film since i think there is more appreciation for him in the role then some like to give credit for.

4. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    If this is true this would imply that Obi-wan is next in line.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Even the non-news on this is the greatest news.

6. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Ewan McGregor was one of the safe anchors of the PT. If there is a guarantee for a success of a standalone movie around Kenobi, it will be Ewan.

7. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Yeah, the Standalones, excluding Rogue One (Reshoots aside; which ended up working), have definitely had some set backs. It would be sad, and ironic, if the Solo movie ends up being the deal breaker, considering that Han Solo is one of the most popular Characters in Star Wars. Hopefully Ron Howard has righted the ship; and that Alden shatters my doubts of him, with an inspired performance; and Solo ends up being a success.

Besides my own desire. One of the reasons I want the Kenobi film to come next in line, is because I think it would definitely redeem the Anthology Series; if Solo ends up flopping that is. After all, Ewan McGregor himself has even said that he wants to reprise his Role as Kenobi; and his Character, is one of the rare PT Characters that is Universally liked by Star Wars Fans.

8. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    I cannot see Solo flopping in any way, shape or form. I think it may have a hard time reaching one billion, but it certainly won’t be a failure.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  9. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    If the Saga cast, especially Daisy, want a break from Star Wars, well, they've got to make something.

The Rian Trilogy is part of it, but I think they need another Series/Trilogy. The big bucks are in continuing stories.

The danger for Solo and Kenobi is that people view them as something interesting, but they don't matter. They're just odd one off movies.

Both Solo and Kenobi could be based for series. Two heroes who could have many Adventures.

And no, I don't believe Obi Wan is destined to sit in a hut and creepily watch a boy nonstop for 20 years. He can have adventures, he can go off Tatooine for a while. His story doesn't have to be simplistic.

Immortiss, kalzeth and Master_Lok like this.
  10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    The bolded please. I am thinking of that spaghetti western style fan poster for the Kenobi movie. They could go Western here easily (and after seeing AoTC again this week, I so want to see some more mind tricks and lightsaber business.)

I'd be thrilled with one more Ewan-Wan movie, but two would be even better.

Understand you said danger...I do not think Solo or Kenobi would flop (easily 600 million each if not more), once you move into other characters like Yoda and such then it gets a little dicey. To wit, Rogue One made over a billion and no one knew any of the lead characters.

11. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    With such a logic you could mark also characters like Lando Calrissian or Bail Organa to be unimportant. Actually there are so many characters who really don't matter for the trilogies, but are considered interesting by fans. But Obi-Wan? Han Solo? I wouldn't exactly call them not mattering. Solo's ship was the safe haven for Luke and Obi-Wan to escape the empire. Obi-Wan was crucial in the PT. And in Ep. IV he detracted Vader in a way, that Luke and Han could free Leia and enlight the spark of the rebellion even stronger. When this doesn't matter, what the heck then?

So I don't believe either.
    When Bo Katan is still alive in S. 4 of Rebels, Obi-Wan could visit Mandalore again after their first brief encounter at Sundari. If they are going the route to create offspring for Obi-Wan, it could be this way.

12. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
  13. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    So it looks almost certain that Stephen Daldry is set to direct, and the working title is 'Joshua Tree'.

BTW, apparently Ewan McGregor was made an appearance at the El Capitan Theatre in Los Angeles to introduce ROTS at a pre-TLJ Star Wars marathon. So it would seem that he's still in the SW business.
    [​IMG]

14. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    Wow he looks great in that picture.

15. Krueger

Aug 9, 2004
    Notice the facial hair. Coincidence? Probably.

16. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    There, fixed that for you.:p

wobbits, Baron_Papanerd, B3 and 3 others like this.
  17. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    That completely made my day. Thank you very much for posting.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  18. Mostly Handless

Feb 11, 2017
    ^^^You're Welcome:)

Master_Lok likes this.
  19. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    That hair and beard are the hope I will cling to.

20. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I hope that they make an announcement and say that Obi-Wan is the next anthology film in the series. They could do something big there like wrapping up all that Mandalore stuff who knows. I really would like to get confirmation on this

21. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I think Disney made a very, very huge mistake on allowing The Rebels to kill Maul in a TV Show. What can you do with Kenobi in a new movie? He can't leave Tatooine, and Vader can't go to Tatooine either. Or they shouldn't for the sake of the story telling.

Other than chasing down some nasty Sand People in Tatooine and sneaking on young Luke, there isn't much to do for Kenobi there, unless, of course if there is a different kind of threat rises in Tatooine while he is trying to learn the Force Ghost technique, which wouldn't make sense too considering that no one really is interested on planet Tatooine as we've seen from ANH. But yeah, maybe they can pull off a new menace in Tatooine and Kenobi can deal with it. Or Maybe Jabba again?

I don't think his Padawan-ship years would be popular among the fans and I don't see how they can use Ewan as a padawan at this point, plus Liam Neeson is too old to be a middle-aged Jedi Knight right now.

Maul could be a great villain for this movie, unfortunately that's out of the picture right now.

22. sizziano

Nov 16, 2014

I don't think Maul would have worked very well considering most viewers think he died in TPM.

Mostly Handless and Master_Lok like this.
  23. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    I don't think most of the viewers even watched TPM, especially the new followers, so I don't think they would care so much. And it's very obvious they must understand that Maul could survive because this isn't a real life story. This is a fantasy / fiction movie where people are turning into Ghosts and Zombies, Cyborgs, Witches, levitating stuffs with mind power and shooting lightnings from their bare hands.

Plus most viewers think Qui-Gon died without learning the Force Ghost technique, but Yoda mentioned his name in the Episode III, Obi-Wan even surprised just as the viewers. So they can be surprised again.

Master_Lok likes this.
  24. sizziano

Nov 16, 2014
    So you're saying most viewers haven't seen TPM but most viewers would remember a line from ROTS? LOL. And QGJ learning to become a force ghost makes sense in the story.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  25. Erkan12

Nov 27, 2013
    What I am saying that it's not important. The important thing is an exciting story which can make the fans happy. Do you really think they would complain about seeing Maul in that movie just because they thought he died? I wouldn't even complain if I would see Dooku survived, but I doubt that would be a good story, if I believed that I wouldn't mind.

I can understand if you think seeing Maul on Tatooine wouldn't make a great and exciting story, that would be your choice. But saying that we shouldn't see it just because people ''thought'' he died, doesn't make sense in the slightest. This is a science fiction series my friend, not a real life story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.