main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Prequel References in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by haterofnone, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Kylo Ren saying “Do it”.

And correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure I heard similar music to the theme used on Kamino in AOTC when Luke and Rey were in the temple on Ahch-To.

2. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    Padme: Are you sure about this? Trusting our faith to a boy we hardly know? The Queen would not approve.

Qui Gon: The Queen does not need to know.

Padme: Well I don't approve.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    C3PO : If I was the soul voice of reason, Admiral Holdo will never agree to this plan.

Poe: You’re right 3PO. It’s a need to know plan and she doesn’t.

3PO: That wasn't exactly what I...

Cheers!

MJ

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  3. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Oh yeah, I meant to say that, you know when Yoda is meditating about the Force and senses that Anakin is going through emotional turmoil? That's almost exactly the same music that plays as Luke and Rey approach the temple area near the meditation spot on Ahch-To. I also noticed that early on in my viewings and have loved it since, it's a clear call-back musically which Williams is so good at doing. Just a great little touch!

Every time I think about the music in Star Wars in general, I just think what a treasure John Williams is. Also, we should all be so lucky to have a job we love so much and are so good at that at age 85, instead of getting some Jello from the cafeteria at the senior living home or relaxing on a beach somewhere, we're still plugging away at creating masterworks. Wow. My dad is 75 and still going strong, he just had Amazon lease 4 stories of his new office building in Portland, but Williams is a full 10 years older than my dad and still doing his thing. Wow!

4. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    Another PT reference. Darth Plagueis got killed again by his apprentice. Dude's gotta stop shutting his eyes on the job.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Ya his record is 0-2 he really needs to stop dying.

6. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    I completely missed this thread earlier so just spent some time reading it all. There were a lot of PT references/mirrors. I'm impressed with how many you all came up with. I only caught a few, but I think most of the insights listed here are spot on. I just want to say that I think this is why SW is so loved and continues on for 40 years. There is something familiar about the story that gets retold in different ways, through words, camera angles, lighting, music, etc. It's just beautiful. And fun.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    As George Lucas once said "it rhymes, its like poetry."

8. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Random and sorry for the tangent, but I'm reading the new Lucas bio, George Lucas: A Life, so I'm curious to see what nuggets of wisdom it contains but so far enjoying it. I haven't read enough to say "recommend" as I just started last night, but I couldn't put it down and went to bed too late... again.

Now, I don't know if this counts as a "prequel" reference, it depends perhaps on your definition, but I was thinking this viewing about what Luke was saying, basically that his "new philosophy" almost seems to be based around that light (not necessarily The Force itself, though I know he says that, but a Jedi's conception of The Force IS light, after all) can arise anywhere, it's all around us, and that's why the Jedi must die out, because perhaps they are too "dogmatic," as Palpatine once said. That's not really what got me thinking, though. I was actually thinking more about Ahsoka, and how she walked away from the Jedi Order because of basically what I see as nonsense that had more to do with a religious order than anything Ahsoka did horribly wrong. Yet she is clearly one of the "good guys" (girls) and a light-side user, so it got me thinking that in some ways the canon already has a point of reference for what Luke is talking about, which is the light side of the Force doesn't have to act just through Jedi. Maybe something new could arise that isn't tied to previous conceptions of Jedi and Sith, because those are just labels after all.

One would presume there were Force users long before the Jedi and Sith, and just like people in general, some used their powers for good, some for evil, then eventually these pseudo-religious orders were built around the "right way" to use the Force, basically. Ahsoka is kind of an example of someone who uses the light side, but diverged from the Jedi Order and not because she turned evil like Anakin or Dooku or whatnot. Just a random thought.

9. lovethedarkside

lovethedarkside Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 10, 2017
    I think this is precisely what TLJ is leading us to. And very good point about Ashoka!

MarcJordan and Ricardo Funes like this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Anyone can harness the light, but at the same time Luke does later say he will not be the Last Jedi. So there is still some purpose for the Jedi Order.

Ricardo Funes and MarcJordan like this.
  11. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Time to....SHAKE THINGS UP!

Wait for it.....

Padme: These junk dealers must have a weakness of some kind.
    Shmi: Gambling! Everything here revolves around betting on those awful races.
    Qui Gon: Greed....can be a powerful ally*[if used properly] *not in movie but in the script
    ------------------------------------
    Snoke : Do you wonder why I keep a rabid cur in such a place of power? A cur's weakness, properly manipulated can be a sharp tool.

MJ

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Shaak Ti and StartCenterEnd like this.
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think we are stretching for sure.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  13. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    more blue missiles. nuff said.

14. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Who is he talking about in the rabid cur bit? Kylo or Hux?

15. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Ok.

MJ

16. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Hux.

MJ

thejeditraitor likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Just my opinion

MarcJordan likes this.
  18. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Obi Wan: "What's this?"
    Qui Gon: "A local"

--------------------------
    Rey: "Who are those things?"
    Luke: "Island natives"

MJ

StartCenterEnd likes this.
  19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    [​IMG]

11-4D likes this.
  20. shafty

shafty Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    ROTS - Emperor Palpatine "Master Yoda"

TLJ - Luke Skywalker "Master Yoda"

Said in the exact same tone of voice no less!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

StartCenterEnd likes this.
  21. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Yoda to the younglings in AOTC: "Reach out... Use your feelings, you must."
    ------------------
    Luke to Rey: "Reach out...with your feelings"

MJ

StartCenterEnd and Ricardo Funes like this.
  22. ReyRandom

ReyRandom Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2018
    So from Rians Collider Imax Q +A:

Fan

"My question is about the last scene between Rey and Ben. He’s kneeling on the ground, he has his father’s dice in his hands that his uncle gave to his mother and his mother left for him, and he’s looking up at the person who’s the most important person in the world to him and before that door shuts, if he could have a do-over to go back to that moment, what do you think he would say or do differently and why?"

RJ

"That is such a great question. Will you be mad if I said that it’s such a great question, I don’t want to answer it? Only because I think that’s such a beautiful notion of “what does he regret in that moment”, it’s the same way I think about in Revenge of the Sith, that mask is coming down, that beautiful shot of Anakin’s eyes right before it goes over and you see that glimpse of… Is it fear? Is it regret? What is it? What is going through his mind at that moment? That’s that kind of moment for Ben and I don’t want to put that moment in your guys’s head. I feel like that’s a moment that everyone should read into themselves. But just posing that question is really beautiful."

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  23. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    There's another question from that Q&A that's a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one

Q:
    So I was watching Revenge of the Sith recently and I noticed there are a few echoes from that film to The Last Jedi, like when Anakin’s talking to Padme in Revenge of the Sith just before they face off Obi-Wan, there’s some similarities there with the “join me” and the lashing out of Kylo to Rey and Anakin to Padme. Did you watch the prequels while you were writing?

A:
    Yeah, I watched the prequels a lot actually, and that goes for the writing and while we were in prep. I think partially because the original trilogy was the ones that I know by heart, shot for shot. The prequels - I knew them really well but I saw them less so I kind of wanted to steep myself in that visual language a lot more before I got into it.

The notion of finding echoes, not just in the original trilogy but also in the prequel trilogy felt like just a really rich well to draw from. So I kept the original trilogy and also the prequels just on my iPad that I had with me all the time and at night I would just put it on in a random spot and watch pieces of it.

24. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    Obi Wan: Anakin! (throws his LS toward Anakin and he grabs it) so Anakin can hold off Dooku.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-----------------------------------------

Rey: Ben! (she throws Luke's lightsaber toward Ben and he grabs it) so that he could hold off; ergo kill the Praetorian guard.

Sorry no pics . :p

MJ

25. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    It sounds like the overhead shot of Kylo with the troopers might indeed be a reference since Rian almost finished the audience members question with it like he was aware what they were talking about