main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion The Supernatural Force (The Ones, Priestesses, Magiks etc.)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Meeko Ghintee, Jul 20, 2016.

1. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    In Legends, there was the Sith prophecy of Sith'ari made by Darth Bane, that was somewhat related to the prophecy of the Chosen One.

A perfect being with ultimate power not restricted by anything or anyone. Anakin/Vader was considered as one of the potential candidates to be the prophesied Sith'ari.

Meeko Ghintee likes this.
  2. Meeko Ghintee

Meeko Ghintee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2015
    Thought this was interesting and relevent. Sam Witwer quote from this article:
    In essence, the force is not balanced by light and dark. Rather, the dark side is a perversion of the natural state of things and thus a disruption to balance, like a chemical spill in a river or something. I like this interpretation as it seems less like a condoning of evil. Of course, there is still the issue of the holocrons. Seeing things clearly seems like a positive thing, why would a dark side object be needed to accomplish it? Of course, I guess you could say Ezra and Maul weren't supposed to be on Tatooine and so the Holocron visions are a disruption of natural order and thus a dark side thing. More grey like the Mirror of Erised in that what you see can drive you mad?

whostheBossk and cwustudent like this.
  3. The Mirificus

The Mirificus Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 25, 2015
    A good analogy. Or, like the Tree of Knowledge in Genesis. The first humans gaining insight that was not theirs to possess, that belonged to God. I think it is interesting that in both stories, there is an evil entity -- the serpent, the Dark Side -- that comes from nature. It puzzles us why God would make the serpent, if He truly wanted humanity to succeed. It puzzles us why the Dark Side should exist, if humans must constantly keep other humans from overindulging in its power. These things are part of the natural order (or, at the very least, began as such), but when we as humans listen to them, bad things happen.

Meeko Ghintee likes this.
  4. Darth Sith Saber

Darth Sith Saber Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 24, 2016
    Yeah, I hate all the mystical magic and witchcraft in SW. The force working as the Force is something that's been established as a channel-able force, it just ruins it when it goes all three-witches on us.

5. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    It was Lucas himself, as well as his daughter, that brought witchcraft into the Clone Wars with the introduction of the Nightsisters, so it is an established part of the universe he created. It makes sense that other Force sensitive cultures can tap into it, restricting it only the Jedi and Sith was very limiting and two dimensional.

6. Meeko Ghintee

Mar 6, 2015

For debate's sake though, is the Dark side "natural"? After all, "the dark side is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural..." Plus Witwer's quote (which, of course, like everything in this thread is just another interpretation and thus not definitive in-universe fact) implies the dark side puts things out of balance, contrary to nature. And, if we are to interpret Mortis as some sort of symbolic representation of Star Wars morality, I think Vorax makes an interesting point in the Mortis thread:

If the Ones are symbolic of the force, The Son was introduced and corrupted by the Dark side. It wasn't inherently a part of Mortis and thus, as I interpret it, not inherently part of Star Wars "nature."

7. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    According to the Daughter though, it was in his nature to be selfish, manipulative, and deceptive. Which makes it seem like he was naturally born that way, which is at odd with The Father's dialogue at the end when he tries to bring his back to apparently his more neutral or natural state. If you added in the deleted scenes of the Dark Side manifesting itself in the form of Sith Lords of the past. Or actual Sith Lords via the Dark Side are able to come into the Mortis realm because of its unique powers and status, then its basically yeah this Son was being corrupted at a time that so happens when the Sith are about to destroy the Jedi, it cant be a coincidence.

The whole plot really us about The Son finally grew tired of waiting to take his dad's place and wanted his freedom, I guess the breaking of the chains of the Sith philosophy. Throughout the aired arc, he acted as the embodiment of the Dark Side. The family adopted the Mortis realm as their new home, they aren't native to that realm, whatever exactly it was. Seems possibly they allow certain people to enter from time to time, and they used a 2,000 year old Jedi distress code to contact the Republic fleet around the area. They have the power to allow certain people to see the Sith holocron-like Mortis monolith, and have the power to erase minds. *The finger to the forehead stuff Talzin also used. From what it all sounded like, the Father and his family were placed in a kinda of self imposed prison there, acting to balance the Force inside realm which was believed to be have been origin point of the Force itself, and as conduit for all things connected through it, which allows the Father to keep watch over the balance in the Force throughout the galaxy.

From the sound of the original purpose of the Anchorites of Mortis, they seemed to have been rather inspired from mythology, the tale of Ra was the bringer of light and order, against Apep was the bringer of darkness, and Lord of Chaos. Apep would rise his rest every night from Duat( the realm of the dead where gods and supernatural beings reside) to attack Ra's boat as it made its way through the underworld. The Duat is also the region through which the god of light Ra travels from west to east during the night as he battles the demon serpent or worm Apep who swallows him whole only to spit him back out so explains the sun rising and setting ect. *Of interest, the Sith specter apparitions on Moraband also showed themselves as worms or serpents and transformed into a giant one.

Was still a crazy storyline no matter what, and one that never seemed quite finished or satisfactory ended.

8. Meeko Ghintee

Mar 6, 2015
    Well in the recon they describe the Bendu as something that just "exists". Perhaps he is a better representation of Star Wars nature than Mortis. Force is not good or evil. "Only you can change yourself". The Sith holocron isn't dangerous, it the people who wield it. Kinda a "the fault lies not in our stars, but in ourselves" view of things. Yet, as he turns into a storm, he claims "perhaps it is the will of the force" that the Jedi perish, implying that the force does have a will. Perhaps he means this in a way more analogous to how an atheist can still believe in determinism?

9. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Right now it appears Bendu seems like a version of one of Lovecraft's, deities, inspired from the great old ones, that are also cosmic horrors. Whom are generally imprisoned or restricted in their ability to interact with most people , at least until the hapless protagonist unwittingly exposed to them. If Kanan somehow unleashed this creature, then the Bendu can seek a new home and retribution since Attalon is compromised and his existence is known, and he's been wounded by both the Jedi and the Empire. If there is near by ships or even damaged ones, he can find a way off that rock.

King Maul likes this.
  10. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    If they tell more about Bendu- I would prefer they would do it outside rebels.

11. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    Other thread was locked.
    This is a wild shot - maybe The Ones were originally from Lothal? They're obviously on the mural but there might be another connection. A weird one. The Father's hat. We've seen similar headgear on Lothal natives including Minister Tua. Maybe it's traditional clothing. The shape of which is meant to evoke Lothal's mountainous rocky protrusions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was also the 'unidentified Lothal citizen' which was Tua given a different color pallet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Yes @Todd the Jedi one picture is huge! The Father is Snoke. I am telling you. :p

revan772 likes this.
  14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    No, I am Snoke.

15. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Well Snoke does look like he was mutated and deformed by the Dark Side like he's filled with powers that he was never supposed to have. Perhaps they have no back story to that character, maybe he was a replacement for whoever Lucas had in mind to be one of the villains in his tossed in the can ST outline.

I would like to hear Adrienne Wilkenson to return .

16. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I dug out my copy of Empire's End and re-read the parts with Rax and Palpatine, and I am wondering if that source of the Darkside that Palpatine sensed and was so interested in is actually Mortis? The Father did mention to Anakin in the Ghosts of Mortis that there was a place that where the darkside of the Universe was being Channeled?

And Palpatine in the novel did refer to this darkside call he was getting as a well of the Darkside.

whostheBossk and revan772 like this.
  17. King Maul

King Maul Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2016
    I always tought the Ones represented Anakin. But now that they apparently are actual beings I don't know where to place them. Ascended beings? Powerful aliens? Force manifestations ?

I do like the idea of ancient races being very powerful with the force , some of them good and some bad. I'm toying with idea that there once was a galactic conflict between light and dark even before the Jedi. The Father said he retreated to Mortis because forces wan't to use them for power , wonder who this forces can be?

I wonder where to place the whills ? It seems that they are connected to the Jedi. Could the whills be some of ancient races like Bendu?

Anyway I love that Filoni expand on ancient mythos and hopefully some of this can be tied to the sequel trilogy.

18. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Perhaps Snoke was The Son after all.

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    not the worst theory ever,

20. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    What if the Mortis connection is teasing the return of Abeloth from legends? I think that would be a natural place to progress following The Clone Wars. Without the Ones to keep her imprisoned, she's free to wreak havoc on the Galaxy when she escapes. Is she imprisoned within Lothal, and the actions of the Empire set to release her prematurely - which is why the Loth Wolves are out and about, prophesying "doom"?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Could that be the presence that Palpatine sensed according to Aftermath?

22. Darth_Accipiter

Feb 2, 2015
    no, that presence was beyond the known galaxy and was probably Snoke. This would be a new, immediate threat that requires The Emperor himself to act. Although the Emperor has had a personal interest in Lothal since before Season 2, so if there's any veracity to this theory he would have had an inkling that there was something strange in the force on the planet - and the discovery of a Jedi temple there only confirmed his suspicions.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think he likely cares because of the Jedi temple.

24. King Maul

King Maul Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2016
    Hopefully. The presence being Snoke dosen't make much sense anymore imo.

AplagueOnTheWise likes this.
  25. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    After re-watching the mid season trailer again, I am really leaning towards Mortis being the source that the Emperor is looking for. I think the only reason he is interested in the Temple at Lothal is because of the Loth Wolves, he needs them to make the connection to Mortis. My guess is that he somehow tricks Ezra into admitting that is what the Wolves can do.

King Maul likes this.