main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Couple of things about TLJ that confuse me about OT

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthWolvo23, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    So...

After ANH why don't the Empire immediately bombard Yavin like the FO bombard D'Qar?

And

If the tech is only just available to track through hyperspace, how do the Empire track Leia's ship from Scarif to Tatooine ( I believe an answer is in a book but is any answer presented on screen)?

2. JDN21

JDN21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2004
    Yavin: Maybe Imperial forces retreated in shock and lack of command structure after the destruction of DS1.

Leia’s ship: I don’t know, I’ve wondered that myself.

ETA: Just did some research, turns out the silver Threepio-like droid seen on Tantive IV was an Imperial agent who relayed the coordinates to the Empire.

Also, the Empire eventually got enough forces to Yavin to blockade the system for 6 months. All the Rebel leadership escaped but there were skirmishes with the last of the Rebels to leave.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  3. Dukeleto69

Dukeleto69 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2017
    Looking at it purely "in film" without any reference to EU books etc then I always thought the Empire did send a fleet to Yavin 4 after the destruction of the Death Star and that was why the rebel forces had split up into smaller groups and fled into hiding including the ones on Hoth led by Luke.

thejeditraitor and Satipo like this.
  4. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    In the certain point of view book they put the tracking down to a leaky hyperdrive.

Is there somewhere in one of the movies where they mention you can track through hyperspace if you have the ships coordinates?

5. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    In ESB the Empire attempt to track the Millennium Falcon when they believe it has jumped into hyperspace by its last known trajectory. I assume in RO the Empire did the same with the Tantive IV. So, it is possible before hyperspace tracking, but probably has large margins of error.

Sarge and thejeditraitor like this.
  6. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Perhaps it's a stretch, but I suppose that maybe the Emperor and Vader were more concerned with the one mysterious, force-strong, person who destroyed the Death Star, rather than retaliating against the single base from where the Rebels came from. I could imagine that using Imperial resources to then attack one single base when they know other important ones exist, wasn't as strategically important as say, using the Rebels themselves to weed out the particular person who did the deed. And once they quickly found out it was the son of Skywalker, the hunt began to trap and seduce their future young apprentice.

I mean, that's what ESB literally is all about, hunting for Luke and using the rebels and pawns in their trap to get him. I think the Emperor seems relatively unconcerned by the feeble Rebels, and has determined, that because Luke loves them, and is friends with them, they could be used as a means for his own cause; entrapping Luke Skywalker to the dark side. He tries multiple times. So there's no reason to get rid of them quickly, until he has secured the real prize and is done using them. As such, his over-confidence was his weakness.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    SunStar likes this.
  7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Maybe Tarkin didn't tell the rest of Imperial High Command where he was headed, thinking he could take care of it himself. So when the Death Star went boom. the Empire didn't have any reinforcements ready to go at a moment's notice.

Sarge, Lt. Hija and Force Smuggler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.