main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Will IX be the end of the Skywalkers?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by sheri1967, Dec 12, 2017.

1. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I'm perfectly fine with the Skywalker line ending in 9.
    Of course, Rey and Kylo could get together by the end of 9, and then she could spew out a litter of baby Solos before Episode 10, and they'd have Skywalker blood, but would that really make future films any better? I'd prefer to move forward with all-new characters with new backgrounds and stories, in different time periods, etc. Take advantage of the vastness of the galaxy. Nine movies about one family is sufficient for me.

panki likes this.
  2. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    It seems LFL is willing to take certain risks fans do not. Some here argued they would never do a trilogy without a Skywalker named lead and here we are, with the only living Skywalker being named Solo and being the main villain.

If there is ever an Episode X, the lead character will probably be named Solo, not Skywalker.

Maybe this partly explains the efforts to include the Solo name in the iconic nomenclature of the Saga? After all, Pablo Hidalgo wrote in the RO visual dictionary that the main films were the Skywalker and the Solo Saga. And the Solo film might serve the purpose of giving the next lead a grampa with a more clear past.

3. sheri1967

sheri1967 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2006
    Maybe it is because I am such an Anakin/Vader fan that I would like the family to continue.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  4. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    The end of the Skywalkers and Rey random is actually a marketing ploy by Disney to get casual fans to care about going to see other non-Skywalker characters in other trilogies.

jaqen likes this.
  5. BalanceOfTheForce

Dec 18, 2016
    George Lucas' vision for Star Wars was the Skywalker Saga
    Disney's vision of Star Wars is infinite potentional for stories about any character in the Star Wars universe

6. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    It would be a nice thing if LFL started to talk openly about this matter. Maybe during Celebration 2019 KK reveals if there are going to be any other SW movies inside the Skywalker saga?

The thing is, that might spoil Ben's final fate in IX.

7. BalanceOfTheForce

Dec 18, 2016
  8. DjTomek

DjTomek Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 20, 2018
    I do think they will tie up the Skywalker family saga that started in 1977 but i don't believe for a second they will wipe out the bloodline, it would make no sense and be borderline sadistic to the characters (especially Leia, Han and Luke) to wipe them out in tragedy.
    Another reason for my belief is how Ben Solo is shaping up and how tortured he is as a character by the writers, with very clear echoes to Anakin Skywalker. What i think many fail to notice is that Kylo is on a redemption path ever since he killed Han.
    After TFA i went in TLJ with the notion that this guy would be truly evil, coldblooded etc like Vader or something close to him. Instead (his lashout on Crait included) the character became even more tortured and humane, we see he is a victim of an abuser, he is even more split between the dark and light after he killed Han, he was pushed over the edge by Luke's moment of weakness, and finally they gave him a love interest. I'm not talking about Rey's feelings on the matter, but Ben Solo clearly got a love interest in Rey in this movie.
    At the end of the movie he ends up doing more good than bad, he doesn't kill any character of importance except Snoke, the bad guy. Thats why i believe the character of Kylo Ren exploded in popularity after TLJ, and i believe Rian redeemed him in the eyes of the audience no matter what happened on Crait and how much he raged.

There is an incredible amount of attention and delicacy with Kylo's character in these 2 movies, that i don't think they would be willing to put so much effort in balancing (making him more and more human while still keeping him as a believable "villain") if they wanted to just kill him and his family bloodlines with him. They will keep us guessing until IX credits roll, but my gut feeling is telling me this trilogy will end on a very positive note for the Skywalker family.

9. Star war

Star war Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 23, 2018
    You nailed it buddy.

Literally everything you said is on point.

People are talking about Kylo more than any other character.
    TLJ brought the entire focus on him.

He became an anti hero in TLJ by killing Snoke and saving Rey and the big bad too.

Rian wrote him amazingly.

He made Kylo heroic, the big bad and still got sympathy for his character.

People are rooting for him now.

And i too think he will live.
    Oue beloved skywalker family will end happily.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  10. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  11. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    I'm eternally optimistic but I'm still here hoping he gets his Aragorn moment, reforges the Skywalker sword and reforges his destiny. Because its Star Wars, there is always hope.

And Anakin hasn't even shown up yet. Yoda shows up. Obi Wan is there in Rey's force vision. Anakin is suspiciously MIA.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    ChrisLyne likes this.
  12. Akane

Akane Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2018
    For me it is a yes, episode IX will be the end of the Skywalkers, although it is not what I want. [face_not_talking]

13. vaderito

vaderito Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2016
    Whether they end the Skywalkers as in All Skywalkers Die or as in We Just Won't Make More Movies With Them (For Now), they are not going to do another Dynastic Saga. Translation: no movies about offspring of Character X, Y, Z from ST or Rian's trilogy or D&D movies.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  14. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    True. And Anakin is perhaps the best character to give him that final push back to the light (or at least to balance). Plus it would be a nice way to tie the completion of the Saga back to the start (prequels).

wobbits likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    As much as I want the Skywalker bloodline to continue, I do think that it will come to an end. Unless Kylo somehow survives, but I do not think that is what they are going for.

16. Dominick1216

Dominick1216 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 23, 2013
    THIS x100000

17. BalanceOfTheForce

Dec 18, 2016
    Depends on how well the other trilogies do. If they fail Disney will panic and create more Skywalkers.

18. Darth_Bertie

Mar 30, 2014
    My current guess is Abrams will leave Ben alive while at the same time give IX kind of a concluding Episode feel to it.

19. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    Those trilogies won't be released before IX so they already know whether Skywalkers are no more (Ben dies and there's no Ben's "mah baby girl" to carry on if needs be) or spared for more movies in the future (Ben lives or there's Ben's "mah baby girl"). :)

oncafar likes this.
  20. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Possibly. It doesn't look too likely that Ben will father any children, and I don't see him surviving into an entire next trilogy.

21. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I don't want it to end. Leave the door open for it to continue by leaving Ben alive. The ST should have had a heroic and young skywalker or solo. But since that isn't happening (unless we get another twist with Rey) I would like to see it eventually come to be. Maybe Disney can return to the sky walker line with Bens child or grandchild. This time....*gasp* Not have a future offspring turn evil.

22. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Deleted

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  23. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    If the Skywalker family does live on when do you all think we'd see another film with a Skywalker family member in it? Not for at least six or seven plus years right?

24. vaderito

Feb 5, 2016
    They don't have to follow immediate offspring but can time jump 100 or more years or something and still have someone who is descended from Ben-Leia-Anakin-Shmi if that's important for the story.

25. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    @DjTomek , I really don’t see how things can end positively or happily for the skywalker family. I really hope they are not planning to both redeem Kylo and give him a free pass after all of the many, many crimes he committed. He truly does not deserve to get a “happily ever after”, complete with wife and kids.

If they want to redeem him, fine, but then, he either needs to die sacrificing himself for someone else as his grandfather did, or he needs to be executed or spend the rest of his life in a maximum security prison. Even if he doesn’t do one more evil thing from now on, that doesn’t wipe out all of the terrible things he has already done. He has a lot of blood on his hands. He ordered men, women, and children to be killed. He killed fellow students, Lor San Teka, and his own father. He tortured people. And those were just some of the things we saw on film. What about people that he killed and other evil deeds that he performed in the six years prior to TFA?

What kind of a message would it send if a serial murderer like Kylo were allowed to go free just because he changes his mind and says he’s sorry? Would a mass murderer here on earth be forgiven and set free to do whatever that person wanted with a simple “ Sorry! I changed my mind. I will be good now”? Don’t you think there should be consequences? Just because Kylo is the son of Han and leia and the last skywalker shouldn’t make a difference. He needs to be punished, and a simple slap on the wrist isn’t going to cut it.

If Kylo gets a happy ending, I feel that justice will not be served.