main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Star Wars: Battlefront (2015) & Battlefront 2 (2017) [Mod Approved]

Discussion in 'Community' started by IG_2000, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I assume you could still gain experience with the heroes through HvV mode.

2. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    If after 5 years they'd produced something other than 2 shallow fps, I'd likely feel different. My complaint is not just about BF, but how EA treats SW as a whole.

If you're going to delve into "whataboutism" as an argument, and compare bf 2015/17 to the original BF series then you need to look at Lucas Art's entire portfolio of SW games available at the time. BF 2004/2005 were just two of many diverse SW experiences available. There was everything from fps to mmorpg's to real time strategy and more.

Perhaps the original BF's didn't feel quite as bland because back then I could also go be Kyle Katarn for a while, switch it up and command Tyber Zann's crime syndicate, then finish off with some BF and blast things mindlessly.

Now all I can do is blast things mindlessly. In a very glitchy fashion no less.

Outsourced and LloydChristmas like this.
  3. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    The irony with such complaints is that the main game modes are story-based. It's actually less mindless blasting than most other multiplayer games.

Full details of the progression overhaul from DICE's blog:
    https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/progression-update

And a FAQ as well:
    https://battlefront-forums.ea.com/d...-battlefront-ii-progression-update-faq#latest

My thoughts are that while it sounds encouraging, I think this overhaul has come out far too late. It now seems more stacked against new players than the old system. Those who have played since launch and have fully upgraded hero and villain characters get to keep all their cards. For example, an old player has 3 purple cards for Han Solo, whereas a newish player picking up Han will have to play as him an amount of time (that is likely to be considerable) and play well with Han to reach the same level. The difference is that the old player never even needed to play as Han Solo, they effectively bypassed the entire progression. That has the potential to introduce large imbalances into game modes wherever heroes are going up against each other (HvV). It was inevitable though, short of wiping out everyone's cards and resetting everyone to zero.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  4. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    In which case - the fans of the game would riot. And the game modes are not story-based. They're just a means to an end to make sure there isn't a single objective.
    Now if there was a solo experience set in the dark times where a Jedi and disgraced Imperial officer had to join forces to protect each other against ISB agents, that would be a story.

5. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    It’s unavoidable if you “buy-in” 4 months into a game. Even if switched Star cards to skills or mods or whatever you’ve still have to compensate your existing player base.

You can’t reset everyone to zero just to please newcomers either. I wouldn’t expect any game to do so. If they removed the cards altogether you’d end up with fairly bland gameplay.

I don’t think they will offer starter boosters either as they do not want to link progression to any form of real world money.

In a perfect world this game would’ve been balanced like this from the start and we wouldn’t be having this discussion. I won’t lie I had almost zero faith that the progression update would be good (on paper at this stage) but I think they’ve made the right choices. Time will tell if they’re actually good.

Jedi Ben, coervus and heels1785 like this.
  6. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Each Galactic Assault and Starfighter Assault map features a story. There's an opening cutscene and narration introducing the set up and what you're trying to do, giving you an objective towards a general goal (escape from the Empire, destruction of a clone facility, retrieval of information, an assault on a base etc.), and when objectives are completed they are followed by more objectives that all lead towards the goal. At the completion of the last objective it ends with a cutscene which reveals whether the goal succeeded or failed. It might not be a long-form story with named characters, but it's still a story.

Compare that to Deathmatch and I'm sure you'll see the difference.

7. coervus

coervus Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2017
    I would say there's a linear, narrative scenario on each map, but "story" or "story-based" to me suggests something more that a multiplayer shooter in this mold can't approach. Like, a story does have specific characters that one is invested in, but a narrative suffices with generic characters like the player's trooper. Longer narratives also feel more like stories -- to refer to Battlefield 1 again, Operations feels more story-like than GA because of the duration and multiple locations, but it's basically the same thing gameplay-wise. So I understand the complaints about the lack of truly story-based SW games. I wish there were another thread for it, though. Battlefront is gonna be Battlefront. Edit: Single player campaign or not, obviously, it is still chiefly a multiplayer shooter.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  8. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    Picking things up or turning things on/off while shooting is not a story nor does it display depth. It's an objective. Even Galactic Assault (arguably the premier mode) is really no more than three phase Strike with more players per team.

Again, I'm not saying it isn't fun to an extent. But it's repetitive and shallow. The issue is there's no where else to go from there. EA has produced two shooters in 5 years, and that's it.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  9. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    I guess its a step in the right direction, lets hope they can do consistent updates.

10. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Anyone know if Stats are coming on this update?

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Per the EA Game Changers footage, it looks like Bespin ground map will be in this next update, and some cosmetic changes for Leia. Unsure about stats, 99.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    This was just released on Youtube. I'm not entirely impressed by Bespin; it's essentially the same thing as what you get in BF 2015 with slightly better graphics.

13. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    It’s the old map imported which is perfectly fine for me. Map design in BF2015 was miles ahead of 2017. I’d happily have more 2015 maps imported in, especially if it helps break up between new season content. In saying that i feel that the carbon freezing chambers would’ve been more iconic but happy that Bespin is back in multiplayer regardless.

vw_jedi and Grievousdude like this.
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I’m hoping to see Scarif in BF2 - hopefully the whole map in Conquest or whatever expanded single player mode that they’re developing.

Deliveranze likes this.
  15. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Prequel maps are what I'm looking forward too most going forward.

Deliveranze likes this.
  16. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    I want Pillio if I’m honest. That coral world was awesome in the SP.

17. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I'd love to have Sullust back again as that was my favourite map in the last game. For new maps I still have my fingers crossed for Geonosis one day. Coruscant would be great too.

18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Geonosis would be an interesting map for sure; especially if it included going into the underground tunnels of the natives.

Grievousdude and bmickey like this.
  19. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
  20. vw_jedi

Feb 18, 2002
    WOW...Would have been nice if they had released a roadmap ahead of time detailing what changes they were making on the 21st. Would prevent people from doing redundent things, such as spending 15k credits to unlock Luke to use the new skin that many of us earned this past week, just to find out all heroes will now be free. Those 15k credits would be nice to have for new heroes.

I really really just hate DICE and their haphazard way of communicating. They blow it every single time.

21. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    As I've mentioned before, I've been very stingy when using my credits towards hero unlocks. I haven't unlocked Vader nor Chewie to this point. I haven't even unlocked Han and Chewie's Falcon.

22. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Well we knew the progression update was coming eventually hence why many people held off buying heroes and cards to see what they actually implemented. I haven’t bought a single hero so I’m cheering that I haven’t wasted those credits.

23. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I bought Leia and I think Luke. Also Rey/Chewie's Falcon and Iden's TIE.

24. redxavier

Jan 23, 2003
    Are you sure? The Falcons have never been locked.

25. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    Pretty sure one of the Falcon's was, but I'm not sure which.