main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rank The Indiana Jones Saga

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Doom Trooper, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    I would've loved those LJN figures as a kid. I'd imagine they're quite collectible nowadays.

RolandofGilead likes this.
  2. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014

Would be a great way to spend the weekend for sure. An all-day marathon of all four is always a good time.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  3. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    1. The Last Crusade
    2. Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    3. Temple of Doom
    4. Young Indiana Jones Chronicles
    5. Emperor's Tomb
    6. Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

Dagobahsystem and Sarge like this.
  4. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014

That reminds me how I've seen some fans rank in the Young Indy series and some of the games and books in with the films.

5. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    I'm also reminded of the Fate Of Atlantis game. Not played it but it's been very well-received and I've seen some fans rank it in with the films on occasion. From the footage I've watched on YouTube, it definitely nails the feel of the films.

6. Gerald's Game

Gerald's Game Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2017
    I would have mixed them up with my Star Wars figures. Indy and Han Solo go on an adventure together.

QUOTE="Doom Trooper, post: 54880112, member: 1381746"]
    I would've loved those LJN figures as a kid. I'd imagine they're quite collectible nowadays.[/QUOTE]

7. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Indy has tried to follow the Star Wars template of the toys, the comics and for a few years the EU novels too and none have really captured the imagination of fans to stick around for a long time. Maybe thats down to the nature of the Indy films, but I've always been convinced that Indiana Jones is ripe for picking up an animated series, more EU novels and I wouldn't rule out a new TV show at some point too from Disney.

Gerald's Game likes this.
  8. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    I always find it surprising Indy never became as much of a merchandising giant as SW did.

9. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I really enjoy them all.

1. The Last Crusade (5th fav film of all time)
    2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    3. Temple of Doom
    4. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

10. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    I enjoy them all as well, a series that's held up great for sure.

11. Your Pal Friendpatine

Your Pal Friendpatine Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2017
    1, 3, 2, 4

Although ToD is the one I'm probably the most nostalgic about as I saw it first and the most times growing up I enjoy the other two more. Maybe because they have more of a fun/adventure vibe where ToD is almost horror. I love horror but it's not necessarily what I'm in the mood for when I want to watch an Indy movie. I kind of want to see Indy kill some Nazis and blow up a tank more than I want to see him get abducted by a creepy cult. The mine car chase and bridge scenes are insanely awesome though.

AndyLGR and Dagobahsystem like this.
  12. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I did it! First time ever I watched all four Indy films in one day, spread out over 12 hours on Sunday. It was so fun. [face_party]

This franchise is even more important to me now and I'm excited for Indy 5.
    Main takeaways are that TLC continues to rise in stature for me, although it can never overtake Raiders. They are both so rad.
    Also, Crystal Skull was more enjoyable this time in spite of some wacky choices, like Mutt swinging through the jungle, and the fencing jeep duel which is ridiculous lol. Still, there is much to like in this movie.

Temple of Doom held its third place spot, yet, the opening sequence in China is of no interest to me at all and Willie, sorry to say, is so annoying, even more so after over 10 viewings. I appreciate the dark aspects of the film and the final bridge sequence is amazing as always.

As my ranking, which has remained the same, I prefer the lighter, more action oriented Indy films, ones in which he has more attitude and kills, and more dynamic, independent leading ladies. Plus, the NAZIS are the perfect villains for Indy and the artifacts he seeks in these two are the most compelling for some reason.

1. Raiders Of The Lost Ark 10/10
    2. The Last Crusade 9/10
    3. Temple Of Doom 8/10
    4. Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull 7/10

13. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    I actually think TOD has Indy at his most hardcore. The rope bridge scene is probably the most insane yet awesome thing he's ever done in the series.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  14. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    I may have mentioned it before but I've also seen some Indy fans rank in the comics and novels in with the films, and it's a very extensive, long list. Surprisingly I've read very few Indy comics or novels, and it seems they can be a little on the hit and miss side of things.

15. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    I got to wonder if for Indy 5 if Indy will be killed off? I doubt it but after The Force Awakens I don't think anything is out of the realm of possibility. It's supposed to be the final installment and will obviously be Harrison's final outing as the character. I'm not sure if Disney is still keeping the Young Indy TV show as canon, due to the bookends that show him in the modern age (showing he's obviously still alive at least well into the 1990s). It'd be a rough way to end the series, but after TFA it's not something to completely rule out.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I have always been one to think that Indiana Jones could be turned into a James Bond type franchise.

17. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    It's one thing if it's supposed to be the young Indy, but recasting the adult Harrison Ford version of him is a whole other matter. When people think of Indy, Harrison is the one and only who comes to mind in that role and for good reason.

18. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    I like to watch Raiders of the Lost Ark in black and white. It’s really cool.

Ubraniff Zalkaz and Sarge like this.
  19. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014
    Watching the series in B&W would be interesting, especially the first two with how pulpy they are. But as someone far too spoiled by color, I probably wouldn't get far :p

20. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    1. Temple of Doom
    2. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    3. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    4. Last Crusade

21. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    1. TOD
    2. ROTLA
    3. TLC
    4. KOTCS

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  22. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    One of the strongest aspects of both SW and Indy films is the use of color in my opinion. Instead of going for a drained colorless "dark" look many fantasy films happen to use, SW and Indy use very strong, intense and vibrant colors, which I just love.

CLee likes this.
  23. Doom Trooper

Jan 1, 2014

We're among the very few who rates the series this way. Not common to see TLC at the bottom at all.

24. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    ONE movie with Nazis would have been entirely enough. Besides even in Raiders they come across not as threatening but often simply silly. What's with all that fake German anyway? In Last Crusade, after Indy and his father are aboard the zeppelin, why on earth would one of the ticket conductors scream "this is a heist" (in German)? I find it hard to believe that they simply made a mistake. Is this supposed to be some kind of inside joke or homage or something? If so, I didn't get it.

25. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Neither do I, quite frankly. [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.