main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poe Dameron & Rey and their dynamic moving forward in IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ben-Solo, Dec 15, 2017.

1. cappoe

cappoe Jedi Master star 3

Jan 12, 2018

Damerey and Finnrose at the end. :)

2. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
  3. panki

panki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    In the latest Poe Dameron comic, Lor San Tekka talks about the force returning to the galaxy, and force related sites becoming active....this would mean the Masassi temples on Yavin would become active as well....I really hope we see that planet in episode 9.

[​IMG]

I also find it interesting that Poe has been interacting with people with knowledge about the force like Leia and Lor San Tekka, who in turn try to teach him what they know about it....hopefully this foreshadows Rey having discussions with Poe, going on missions to ancient sites and maybe even trying to decipher the old jedi books.

Also, Poe has been seeing a lot of romance around him...BB-8's romance with IVEE that ended with her tragic death, and on the other hand Snap and Kare's romance that ended in a lovely wedding. No wonder he is wearing his mother's ring around his neck, hoping to meet the right person.:p

[​IMG]

After seeing the wedding in the comic as well as the ring in the visual dictionary, I am almost certain Poe will get married either in the movies or in some other media.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    Darkspellmaster and Ben-Solo like this.
  4. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    I read the comic as well, why nothing has been confirmed about a possible link to him having the force-sensitivity trait I'm starting to believe without a doubt he is; Luke gives his mother fragments of the Force Tree which are on his homestead on Yavin, he after building a speeder and damaging the tree for the next year nurses it back into good health and as of now it the last known tree. Seems pretty coincidental if it isn't true and very odd to give him all this/and his family this backstory for nothing; heck until we see "Solo" he (Poe Dameron) has a deeper backstory than Han (someone both Carrie Fisher and Rian Johnson compare Poe to.)

I agree. But whomever it is with is undetermined although I have a perference (Rey) it could also be someone he develops a close relationship in the new high command (Connix etc.) although I am still leaning (Rey of course) but either way these new developments lend credence to a further development between Rey and Poe both personally and professionally.

Darkspellmaster, mlsw and panki like this.
  5. panki

Jan 11, 2016
    @Ben-Solo .. I agree regarding Poe having some degree of force sensitivity and how it will be weird if they just abandoned this path midway. The points you have raised definitely support this, especially in the case of the force tree Luke gave Shara Bey. While the force tree may or may not be the last of its kind, the fact that Poe's tree is the surviving cutting from the Great Tree at the jedi temple at Coruscant makes it special.

The Great Tree was located in the courtyard where the Jedi padawans trained (TCW animation confirms this)..... in an almost parallel scenario, Poe grew up near the tree, played on its branches and even nursed it back to health for a year.

Important jedi rites of passage like Ahsoka receiving a bead for her padawan braid from Yoda were conducted by the same tree. (Forces of Destiny)

[​IMG]

The Great Tree also plays a prominent role in Yoda's trials, in a vision where several members of the jedi order can be seen standing at its base at one point of time, emphasizing its importance.

[​IMG]
    Yoda also communicates with the voice of Qui Gon Jinn (which Anakin hears as well) beside the tree and he subsequently contemplate what he learned from his trials beside the tree. So again, this particular tree has strong connections to the jedi order and the force as well....and the same would apply to the sapling taken from it.

[​IMG]

The great tree aside, I noticed something in one of the Poe Dameron comics....Poe and his friend Suralinda are pursued by first order agents and they escape on a Stormsail, something with no engines and which Poe has never flown before (and Poe states that he can fly anything with wings and an engine so this is something out of his comfort zone and requires wind power instead of engine power).

There is a time when the agents almost catch up with them, and Poe tries a dangerous strategy of navigating at high speeds through a storm to get away, and the panel shows how he is focused and determined.

[​IMG]

Soon they get away but Poe's reaction on reaching safety caught my interest.
    [​IMG]

When an individual uses force abilities, they can experience fatigue due to the concentration and effort involved. (which is why Kylo tells Rey that the effort to appear to him from afar would kill her). Poe's need to rest makes me think he connected to the force while navigating the storm. There are just too many clues pointing to Poe being force sensitive to ignore. :) In legends, jedi recovered through rest and meditation...maybe Rey will teach him to meditate. :D

As for Poe's love life, I admit I favour Rey as well :p but I wouldn't mind seeing him with Connix (Han and Leia nostalgia) or even Jessica Pava (since she seems to have a crush on him). But when it comes to Rey, I feel like both she and Poe are really sweet people who have the potential to at the very least be best friends and would even be able to work well together when it comes to missions and battles.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    Ben-Solo and Darkspellmaster like this.
  6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Thumbelina.
    There was an cartoon made of the fairy tale, and in it everyone would fall in love with the tiny beautiful girl, and project onto her their desires. And inevitably she didn't respond the way the guys wanted. She didn't fall in love. She didn't become their fantasy. And so they'd react by kidnapping her, chasing her etc.

I don't think that would be Poe's reaction to Rey. He wouldn't pursue her. He wouldn't join Finn and Kylo.

Darkspellmaster likes this.
  7. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't get your description of Thumbelina, because it's wrong. The 1994 Don Bluth cartoon had Thumbelina completely falling in love with fairy Prince Cornelius (cue "Let Me Be Your Wings"), but she ends up getting kidnapped by the toads (she's wanted as a bride for the ugly toad son--cue Charo's musical number), kidnapped by Gilbert Gottfried's beetle (humiliated for not being attractive to bugs--this kidnapper liked her voice, not her looks) and then ends up where she's nearly married off to an old mole. But she was clearly in love with her prince all along despite the various suitors coming after her. Cornelius is kind of indisposed from finding her until he interrupts her mole wedding, as he was frozen in a block of ice all winter. She gets her wings (she's a fairy after all) and marries Cornelius.

[​IMG]

She isn't responding to the toad and mole in love with her because she's already emotionally taken and in love with Cornelius, the first person she ever met who was just her size, no matter how much the farm animals and her human "mother" loved her and cared for her. She didn't even know he was a prince (a rebellious one his parents aren't all that approving of) at first. She was searching for someone like herself. If we're comparing Thumbelina to Rey, then ironically, Ben is the reluctant prince who has the same Force sensitivity she does and nobody else can really understand.

Some of us were little girls when we saw it in the theater.

As of now, there's nothing to suggest there's anything between Poe and Rey at all. They introduced themselves to each other. That's it. They've barely spoken. There's no triangle here beyond people thinking the actors have chemistry, despite a complete lack of canon screen time. The triangles really don't exist. There's a difference between canon (Reylo and Finnrose are established canon so far) and crack 'ships (of every possible variation, whether they've interacted or not, love each other or hate each other, etc...). Frankly, the female who seems most interested in Poe in TLJ is Connix. There's more interaction between them in the film than Poe with Rey.

I say this as someone who was actually open to Poe/Rey in TFA, despite them not meeting. In my mind, if they weren't going to go with Reylo, then Poe felt like the best of the remaining suitors in terms of who could be a potential Raoul beside the Phantom and Christine. But as of TLJ, that's kind of gone. There's just nothing established and this marketing "trio" never really existed. The leading man has emerged and it's truly his story as much as Rey's.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  8. cappoe

Jan 12, 2018
    How does Connix seem interested in Poe? Literally nothing indicates that aside from you trying to push him away from a potential pairing with Rey. She has one line in the movie. Bye.

There's tons to suggest a foreshadowing of a Poe/Rey dynamic/romance and you can be in denial all you want.

And Reylo is not canon, I think somebody got lost on their way to the Reylo thread.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Darkspellmaster likes this.
  9. NileQT87

NileQT87 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 21, 2002
    She was the one following him throughout his mutiny attempt and is often seen around him. Billie Lourd isn't given a lot of lines because she's a glorified extra around her mother, but she played the Rebel who sided with him, which added a lot of focus on her. She did get a major screen time boost compared to TFA. In TLJ, she actually had a role where you could discern her character having an opinion on anything and was the sole person who took Poe's side. Yes, Connix actually is with Poe for a significant portion of the film. When not part of the mutiny, she's walking down corridors beside him. The other characters he most interacts with are Leia, Holdo, Finn and BB-8. Oh, and the rest of the X-wing pilots.

He has a couple of seconds with Rey out of two whole films that amounted to an introduction. He interacts less with her than Connix and a whole pile of other characters. Just pointing that out.

I would have liked them to have an interaction in TFA and was hoping for it, but TLJ just firmly placed their arcs in completely opposite parts of the plot. Rey is part of the Force arc. Poe is in the Resistance leadership stuff beside Leia and various personnel. He's being groomed for taking over from Leia. That's his role. He's now moved from glorified Wedge to future General Organa. This doesn't place his likely future as being around Rey much in IX, IMO. He'll be busy with Leia's death and what that means for him, while also trying to go up against the FO military. Rey is going to be back in the Force/SkySolo A-plot again. Poe will probably be paired up with Finn and Rose in IX, IMO. I can see them spending some time together, given they are all in the same plotline. Likewise, it's an easy guess that Rose isn't just going to be magically dumped by J.J. She's here to stay as a character. She's (and the actress) been getting awful hate because she stands in the way of several 'ships.

And in case you haven't been informed of this like the Reylos have, this isn't the fan club section. The Reylos are reminded of this when anti-Reylos spend tons of time in the thread we are told isn't actually ours. There's a separate Community section for fan clubs. Anyone is allowed to debate in this section from either "side" or neither. I was actually open to this 'ship when I was still cautious about the reading I had of TFA and I liked the character (Oscar Isaac is a great actor with tons of charisma who made the character so much more than he originally was, which got expanded a ton because of his performance), but it just never got off the ground (actually having the characters speak beyond an introduction). Also, I was a Han/Leia 'shipper for well over a decade prior to the ST even becoming a glimmer with an Internet presence to prove it.

10. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    She was part of Poe's little insurrection, for what it's worth (and I don't think it's worth anything, to be honest).

I think a lot of little data points that lend themselves to confirmation bias. There's nothing concrete in canon yet (and I kinda doubt that the tie-ins, where most of the data points come from, would try and fill this in, since Episode 9 wasn't written yet, meaning that those authors do not know where Poe's story will go).

They would, of course, cite their own little confirmation biased data points to prove that Rey/Poe is not canon either. As of yet, nothings been set up yet.

(Frankly, at this point, I suspecting that both Reylo and Rey/Poe are not going to happen. I suspect that Rey is going to be too busy dealing with the Force-ey stuff and Poe with Resistance leadership to have time for anything else. For love story material, I think that we're going to get Rose dealing with her feelings for Finn. That was the only possible pairing actually set-up onscreen and clearly left unfinished to be continued. Just a guess, of course.)

Deerborne likes this.
  11. cappoe

Jan 12, 2018
    There's tons of set up/subtext/foreshadowing of a Poe/Rey dynamic in The Last Jedi. There's zero for Connix. She only has one line in the film, so what if she helps Poe? She believes in his cause, especially since if it wasn't for his distraction they would have never gotten everyone off the planet before TFO destroyed it. She owes it to Poe, but seriously she doesn't do anything in the movies. That is not whom one of the main trio is gonna end up with. And like it or not Rey, Poe and Finn are the trio of these movies. And they likely will be interacting a lot in episode 9 so brace yourself.

Also Rey will absolutely be mourning over Leia's death as well, that was essentially a mother-figure for her, an inspiration and a guide.

And glorified wedge is so disrespectful, but then again you don't want to admit that Poe is essentially the Han of this trilogy.

12. panki

Jan 11, 2016
    @cappoe .... I am only going by TFA and TLJ but I didn't see Connix and Poe showing any romantic interest in one another as of now. Their interactions were solely about their loyalty to Leia and wanting to save her and the resistance. Poe's interactions with Rey, on the other hand, involved him staring at her in awe and recognizing her, hence making her feel like someone special. And like it or not, Rey smiled and looked truly happy in that moment after spending a whole film either looking anxiety ridden, angry or crying.

Princess Leia herself had around the same amount of screen time in A New Hope as Poe did in TFA. And just like Poe, her screen time was increased in TLJ....does that mean Princess Leia is a glorified Wedge too? Lol.

Poe has been confirmed as one of the ST3, and I see elements of all three OT3 characters in the ST3 characters...for instance Poe is a farm boy (like Luke), a rebel leader with strong convictions (like Leia) and a great pilot (like Han). Similarly Finn and Rey also share characteristics with the OT3. I also feel there is a lot of evidence pointing to Poe being a force sensitive, and I hope Rey teaches him to meditate and connect with it so it can help him be a better leader (I can see him choosing to take Leia's path instead of becoming a full fledged jedi).

To be fair, I agree with @WebLurker that there is a good chance Rey doesn't have a romance in this trilogy, especially since she might be the one re-building a new jedi or other new force user order. And its very possible that Finn-Rose might be the trilogy romance, especially after reading Finn's thoughts after their kiss in the novel.

What I look forward to when it comes to Rey and Poe is this......Poe comes across as a loyal and caring person, ready to risk everything for those he cares about based on his interactions with Leia and Finn in the movies and books, and with black squadron in the comics and TFA. Similarly, I feel he would extend the same amount of loyalty and care to Rey as well, something Rey deserves after all the hardship she has faced. If tptb give them a romance, I am certain it would be very romantic...if tptb lets them remain friends, I am certain their friendship will be an unshakeable one. And while some dismiss the screen chemistry of the actors, I feel it is an essential part of onscreen romance compelling and convincing to the audience...so I see the actor's chemistry as more reason for their interacting. :cool:

13. madi

madi Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2018
    I've only just made this account so I'm late but something has to be going on with Rey and Poe. The parallels are SO OBVIOUS. Like on tumblr I see a lot of posts pointing out parallels but it's usually something petty. Like someone said Kylo Ren freezing Rey was a parallel to Anakin choking Rey lol. It just kinda appeared similar. But Rey and Poe's journeys are exact parallels, and usually the setting and lighting are exact opposites. Both shoot at Kylo Ren and are frozen by him before being kidnapped. When this happens, Rey is in a forest during the day while Poe is in a desert at night. When they're being interrogated Poe is in dark, blue light while Rey is in the light and it has a yellowish/orange tint. Both meet Finn and are broken escape captivity. They say similar things and Finn acknowledges it when he says "Why does everyone wanna go back to Jakku?!" And "I'm getting pretty good at this" - a throwback to him successfully shooting the canon when he and Poe escaped. Also note that Poe is in the dark during the escape scene and Rey is in the light. Like it's not little parallels they're so blatant. This is JJ Abrams we're talking about, he loves foreshadowing lol (Lost). And the fact that they shot their meeting scene (but cut it) really cements it for me that JJ intended for their relationship to be important. Also, the scene where Poe jolted awake right after Rey was screaming had to be intentional. TLJ focused on people connecting through the force. I mean just a scene or two before we saw Luke reaching out to Leia through the force (keep in mind Rey and Poe are practically the Luke and Leia of the trilogy). I don't know for sure if it's going to be a romance, but I think that is the most likely outcome. I mostly think this because originally they shot the meeting scene in TFA so JJ wrote that "I know" line. Also it was such a classic meet cute. Accidentally hugging, throwback to an iconic romantic line, and Rey thinking she liked his face? I think this is why Daisy posted that Rey/Poe pic on her instagram and I think that is what Oscar was referring to when he said "there's romance. You have to watch it a couple of times to catch the hints" - it just makes sense when you factor in the cut meeting scene. And if people/media thought there was something going on with Rey/Poe after the two second "I know" scene we got in TLJ, they definitely would have thought Damerey was going to happen if the original scene with them literally hugging was kept in.

Ben-Solo and panki like this.
  14. madi

madi Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2018
    things i think will happen:
    -rey and poe are going to have an intimate relationship. not 100% sure romantic but I think that's the most likely option as i've said in the post above. but they could just be super close friends. but even daisy hopes/thinks they will have an intimate relationship
    -kylo ren is gonna taunt rey by threatening to train and turn finn and poe to the dark side (because they're both obviously force sensitive) and then rey's gonna DESTROY him
    -force ghost luke is gonna come and warn rey about attachments because of above

thinks i want to happen:
    -kylo ren was lying about rey's parents and she's related to him somehow. either cousin or sister. rey has a dilemma because she doesn't want to kill the only family living family member she has, just as luke didnt want to kill his own father.
    -kylo ren dies unredeemed because i hate him lol
    -poe/rey/finn/rose scenes. please god don't let the trio be separate again

also daily reminder that Rey = Anakin/Luke and Poe=Padme/Leia.

panki likes this.
  15. cappoe

Jan 12, 2018
    Even John Boyega acknowledged Damerey and the "I know" on the panel.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    panki likes this.
  16. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    He did? I actually didn't catch that part. I thought he only referenced Finnrose, Finnrey, Stormpilot and Reylo. I believe Daisy said that she preferred more intimate moments with Poe but not romantic. We'll see I guess. I wanna see more of their chemistry play out hopefully

17. nagajuna

nagajuna Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 5, 2016
    No he did not he said even Poe is stepping up in terms of Finn/Poe he was talking about his character in relations to shipping

18. cappoe

Jan 12, 2018
    Wrong.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was definitely about Damerey.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    panki likes this.
  19. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    I want Rey to rescue Poe in the next movie after he goes on a mission for the resistance and winds up half naked in a slave outfit of some kind. It'd be a nice nod to Leia and parallel the Luke saving the day

20. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    I'm suing you for making me read this.

21. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Lol, the interviewer said that.

Fast forward to 9:45 minutes in this video.

22. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Because it's too hot to fathom/handle?
    I couldn't concentrate either after imagining it. It's downright criminal.

RandomGreyJ likes this.
  23. RandomGreyJ

Jun 14, 2016
    Honestly makes me think about how F'ed up that whole thing was. Princess Leia...super important and highly recognized member of a military force ends up captured and in a bikini. Thank goodness no one else in the Rebellion found out about that sheesh. Ugh that's so messed up now that I think about that. And now I can't unsee Poe...

UGHHHHH H WHY'D YOU HAVE TO TYPE THAT AND HIT 'POST.' WHY COULDN'T YOU THINK ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES OF YOUR ACTIONS AND HOW THEY AFFECT OTHER PEOPLE

Ok new topic! Wow I can't wait to see how Poe and Rey's normal family friendly heroic relationship RESPECTFULLY plays out on screen! LALALALALALALALALA

24. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I think you're forgetting about the part where Jabba's attempt to objectify her led to her strangling him to death with her chains of bondage. The film didn't objectify Leia, Jabba tried to. And, she saved herself. No one rescued her. Also, anybody from the Rebellion that would try and talk smack about one of their leaders killing one of the worst scumbags in the galaxy isn't worth listening to.

As for Poe, I wouldn't worry about him infiltrating any criminal organizations, and ending up in a slave outfit. That is unless Unkar Plutt has something they need, and some fetishes we don't know about. Uh, oh!

panki likes this.
  25. cappoe

Jan 12, 2018
    Is anybody else disturbed by the banner for the sequel trilogy on the website. Because it's pretty much minority erasure.

[​IMG]

This is a huge Han and Leia dynamic. Him showing off and her being like mhmm yeah okay.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    Ben-Solo and panki like this.