main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One What was your reaction the first time seeing the Vader hallway scene?

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Blue 5, May 9, 2017.

1. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    My Dad says his voice gets deeper and his helmet shinier with each movie. [face_laugh]

2. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    It was fan service. And TBH, it's not that impressive to see a plot-armored Sith take down a bunch of non-Force users (who are unlikely to be battle hardened soldiers given that they spend their time guarding a consular ship from a peaceful world) in a narrow corridor where the lasers only come from one direction. In the end, it just makes it look like the filmmakers didn't have enough faith in their main characters to carry the ending.

Taylore likes this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That's if you look it from purely the "Vader is awesome perspective." If you focus on the horrified and incredibly brave Rebel soldiers who are unswerving in their commitment to transmitting the plans, despite almost certain death, the connection between this scene and the heroic sacrifice of the film's main characters becomes crystal clear. I thought it was a highly unorthodox ending for a blockbuster, and in a very good way. It was a coda done right. Highly consistent with the themes of the film, while also being a reminder of how uncertain the Rebellion's victory was.

4. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    Fair enough but it's pretty hard to believe the "Vader is awesome perspective" isn't what the viewers were expected to react to when they added that scene. ;)

Taylore and Bor Mullet like this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think the filmmakers knew that would be one reaction. :) But I don’t think they would have emphasized each of the Rebel soldiers so much (including the relay race of death), and then ended with Leia’s hope note, if Vader badassery was all they were going for.

6. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Jaw dropping. I was mostly unspoilt on account of expecting it to be *****, so I was genuinely surprised for a change... I remember feeling on such as high, watching the Tantive IV pull away ..

MoffJacob and La Calavera like this.
  7. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I ran and tried to shut the door.

8. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I had a lump in my throat as I realized what we were about to see, this real sense of foreboding with the alarm sound, the darkness and the curiosity then fear we see on the faces of the troopers. Then the red gets lit and all hell breaks loose. It's a very good scene and one of the best directed in the film (it also shows remarkable restraint in its portrayal of Vader, who I often find is made into a super version of himself, I totally buy this is the OT Vader). It does a fantastic job of reminding you of Vader the villain as well.

My favourite part is probably just the background shot of Vader hacking away as the disc gets handed over and the doors close.
    [​IMG]

9. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I held my breath.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The scene really shows how great a horror villain Vader would make. Micheal Myers who? :p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  11. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    This was the Vader I had been waiting 40 years to see. He never truly scared me--even as a kid--until that Hallway scene in Rogue One. My god, the pacing, the body language (sorry, Prowse, you kind of lumbered around too much) and the lighting set the stage for a truly terrifying confrontation. I remember my heart racing during that scene knowing he was going to slaughter just about everyone in that hallway.

It was amazing. This is the Vader I wish we would have had the first time around!

Bor Mullet likes this.
  12. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    The choral music was very reminiscent of that when Vader hacks away at the Nimodians on Mustafar ....

Darth Smurf likes this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Shock, awe, horror and a new appreciation for the brave men and women of the Rebel Alliance. :)

14. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    In fairness though, what I think that scene now does is complement the original trilogy by showing you what Vader is capable of. So when you see him in the original trilogy you see that he is exercising a sinister level of restraint. You know now what he might have done to any rebels he came across as he made his way through Echo Base in TESB, and that he effectively toys with Luke. Not only is he seen to be scheming and manipulative, but he is extremely dangerous physically. The glimpse of that in Rogue One enhances his character I would say.

Darth__Lobot, EHT, Sarge and 4 others like this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    That's the power of Rogue One. It significantly enhances the entire original trilogy.

16. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Hey, any chance we get to see Vader whipping everything in his way - I'm in. That was the best scene in the movie and in fact, for me, of all the new movies. More. Of. That. Please. It is great to see and for once I wasn't saying to myself, 'okay, you can make him look as weak and foolish as you like, but your heroes can't kill him! Ha!" because it would seem this group of film makers realized that only by making Darth Vader look as fierce as written, could their heroes actually come across as heroic.

17. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Well no generic militant thug, soldier or battle droid is a match for a Sith Lord , let alone a Jedi Knight even as we've seen before in all SW media.

it was a good scene, the reality of it was that they did a good job grounding Vader in his current state and did not get too crazy, so his psychical and Force abilities are pretty much what we seen of him in the OT or even Battlefront. He fought freighted Rebel fleet troopers and remembering back to the OT, those same soldiers were easily killed by Stormtroopers in ANH. Vader mainly deflects their own blaster fire and later disarms the rest and kills them. I think he took too long cutting through the soldiers and his lack of speed and agility costed him and the Empire there as it was not a success but a failure. A,t one point he also took too long to kill a rebel soldier that was in his Force hold held up in the ceiling. The Rebel soldiers despite mostly being scared and semi-panicking at the sight of the Sith, did manage to successfully stall and get the plans to the escape shuttle and Leia to safety.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Anakin_Prime

Anakin_Prime Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2005
    I gasped, and was filled with shock and excitement for what was possible coming. It delivered 100%!

And it still does!!

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Iron_lord likes this.
  19. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Well, that scene rather had reminded me of one of the TFU II's trailers when Marek kills cell guard Stormtroopers.

Last edited: May 20, 2018
    darkspine10 likes this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s a slice of pure cinema. Perfect in every way - visually, narratively, and otherwise.

21. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    If I'm being honest, I was disappointed the first time. Someone had described it to me as being like a prolonged sequence from Aliens, several minutes long, Vader striking from the dark. Definitely wasn't what we got. However, it's still a pretty sweet sequence and I love it each time I see it now.

22. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    It was awesomeness mainly because vader hadn't struck fear in me for the longest time and it was absolutely terrifying. Even though I knew the plans would get away, it was very edge-of-your-seat.

If I remember correctly, I was part smiling and nervously moving around in my seat.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    I felt very grateful and privileged to behold such a scene during it's release, it will go down in my mind as being as legendary in Star Wars film just as much as other awesome moments such as Leia strangling Jabba or Palpatine getting flung down the shaft.
    Both of which I saw on the big screen as a kid and were marked indelibly into my young mind when ROTJ came out, and this was up there.
    To put it another way, I used to draw those two mentioned scenes with crayons for years after and I could imagine my younger self doing the same with the Vader scene had he seen it.

Sarge likes this.
  24. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    It brought a tear to my eye...

Darth Smurf likes this.
  25. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    I really thought Vader was going to show up on Scariff and wreck shop on the ground, being responsible for Chirrut and Baze's deaths directly or something, thus fulfilling Order 66 even more by taking out the Guardians of the Temple of the Whills or whatever they were. So I was surprised they waited till the hallway on the Tantive to introduce him, but it was well shot and looked amazing nonetheless.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Sarge likes this.