main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Things you like and dislike about the Disney era so far? SEE WARNING ON PAGE 7

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by DJT, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Rogue One
    Good parts of Rebels
    Very good books in this era
    Galaxy's Edge soon

Deslikes
    The Journey to TFA and TLJ
    The comics - some are good, others very bad
    Both Battlefront games
    Everything now it's connect - they did this with legends, but, for a little time, it's much information that will be contradicts in the future...
    I think that some parts of Legends could be easy canon

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Tython Awakening likes this.
  2. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I like more films.

I dislike the lack of a unified, singular vision.

3. Likes:
    Potencial good Spin Off movies and TV live action series
    More Star Wars material
    Dislikes:
    The simple stories of the new canon
    Most of it is garbage and not at all exciting

I miss the days where Star Wars was a more complicated saga to follow because of the extensive material
    Now everything is summed up in "good against evil"

There is nothing of complicated stories anymore

4. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I really miss the collaborative efforts between the authors and comic book writers. This made the old EU very special. Yeah, there were some stories that were off and didn't jive, but the majority did and it was through the collaborative efforts between Bantam, Del-Rey, and Dark Horse, the authors, editors, comic book writers, and the great Sue Rostoni. This, I sorely miss. I miss Randy Strandley and his talks at the forums. That's where I met Eddie1969, probably the purest star wars fan on this site and anywhere. (And he has a super collection and extensive guide that are fantastic).

It was the old EU or Legends that brought the 501 st. Not the new canon from Disney.

I miss the making of books, art books, script books, special books that told the story from the inside on how the saga was made. This one right here is priceless, because under Disney, I have a better chance of winning the lottery than I do of getting making of books for their movies. I don't believe that we will ever get a making of book from a Disney movie. It didn't happen with TFA, TLJ, and RO, and definitely with all the drama that went in the firing of Lord and the other guy, getting it with Han Solo. Under GL, there was this freedom of information that made you appreciate more star wars for what it was. It wasn't the story anymore, it was the story behind the story. Disney......no.

The junior novels that have come out under the new one canon principle are decent, but nothing earth shattering. Read Vector Prime and see the shattering consequences, or The Last Command, or Errant Knight. Those were good stories.

5. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    After having time to think, see TLJ again, and more of what we are in store for with Solo, I went back and read some of these last posts on this thread-including my own-and I figured I might clarify that although I'm not all that convinced I'm happy with LFL/Disney's approach to the GFFA as of right NOW at this moment, I do have hope still for what we might see in the future-which is the main driving force for me to want more at this point. I realized in my previous posts on here I made it sound like I'm all hunky dory with everything they've done-but after taking time to think more about it (and mostly after watching TLJ again now that I have it on blu ray), I conclude that I'm actually not all that happy with where things seem to be going at the moment. I loved Rogue One, and also TFA. But apart from Bloodline, I don't really enjoy any of the new books that much (I've read several so far), and TLJ is almost my least favorite of the Saga in terms of ranking.

Again, what's keeping hope alive for me is the possibility of what may yet come. For the first time in my life, simply the phrase "MORE STAR WARS" is not enough for me to stay interested anymore...One can only give the benefit of the doubt for so long, before they need some kind of satisfying payoff!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  6. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Fair enough. I've kind of had a opposite experience in that I've really liked the new books a lot more than the last few years of pre-Disney stuff (it was ones of the things that got me onboard with the reboot in the first place; "I'm loving Star Wars books again!") I've also found TLJ to be to my liking, too.

However, I can relate to not liking the new material for a franchise really sapping your enthusiasm for it; I'm a Trekkie, however I haven't been onboard with much of anything new lately (I don't like the Abrams' reboot movies -- except for Beyond, excusing the Discovery tie-ins, the novels and stuff are really lackluster for me, and everything I hear about Discovery, except for the good tie-in novels, makes me feel more and more depressed). For years, I would say that Star Trek is my most favorite sci-fi world and that I was a Trekkie before any other kind of fan membership I held. Now, while the old TV shows and movies do still mean something to me, Star Wars has become my top fandom and I don't think it's an accident that I'm really into all the new stuff it's doing.

DARTH_BELO and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Tal0nkarrde2

Tal0nkarrde2 Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 20, 2018
    Sigh, there's just so much. First off, you can tell by my avatar that I am a huge Mara Jade fan. Thanks to the Disney reboot, her character...an awesome character...no longer exists. Second, what they are passing off as new stories in the recent trilogy is just a reboot of the original trilogy and they are obviously getting rid of our original trilogy heroes one by one in an effort to make us only care about the new characters (which are really mixed-up reboots of our original heroes). Even more annoying - I have every single Star Wars book of the old cannon and now they have decided that, not only do those books not count in the new canon, but they aren't even going to sell these things anymore. The one good thing to come out of Disney's takeover is Rogue One, otherwise, I haven't even bothered to see these films in the theaters.

8. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    I liked that character, too. I think, if the reboot had to happen, I'm kinda glad she wasn't grandfathered in; her story would have to be modified extensively to fit the new continuity and, while not a canon character, we can still see the Mara we got in the Legends stuff as the "real version of that character, if that makes any sense.

Maybe, although I thought that the intent was for Leia to have a major role in Episode 9 before Carrie Fisher's passing?

I thought they were still selling them. I've seen new Legends reprints in my bookstore. The Thrawn books got a new reissue when the character debuted on Rebels. I recently got a nice new hardcover omnibus of the Crispin Han Solo novels from B&N. Unless you mean that they stopped making new Legends material, I think they're still selling it.

I did like that movie. Truth be told, I like that version of the Death Star heist far more than any of the Legends era versions.

Tal0nkarrde2 likes this.
  9. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    PRO
    Despite Disney's corporate-overlord reputation, these new SW films are so far above the usual blockbuster fare in terms of artistry and aesthetics. They look and sound so much better than any other current franchise. By contrast, I grew up a huge superhero nerd, but the homogeneous MCU (bland cinematography and scores) and incompetent DCEU (plain ugly and lifeless) has sapped my enthusiasm for the genre. Gone are the days of Donner's Superman, Burton's Batman, Raimi's Spiderman, Singer's X-Men, and Nolan's Batman -- hit or miss, these were actual film artists giving us distinctive, expertly crafted takes on the material. But Star Wars is still giving us films with aesthetic beauty and artistic value in addition to popcorn entertainment.

CON
    Can we branch out with the standalone films already? Yes, I'd love an Obi-Wan spinoff and I think Solo will turn out good-to-great, but there's so much more they could be doing! Give us a "horror" film in the vein of Predator...or even Annihilation. Give us a pure action-comedy in the vein of Rush Hour. Give us a mystery like Seven. Give us an animated droid movie in the vein of WALL-E. Not only will they expand the SW universe, but they'll get less backlash from fans who (rightly or wrongly) don't want to see existing characters/conflicts messed with.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  10. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    I'm on board. Provided it's titled - "Willow II : Electric Boogaloo"

PCCViking likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I really like a lot about the new era, but one thing I really like is the diversification of Star Wars. It allows more people to connect with characters that are more similar to them other then just being human at least at face value.

I have liked almost everthing Star Wars related except the Holiday Special and the Ewoks cartoon.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    I like the new movies ok. While last Jedi was very interesting, it didn't feel like it connected too well with force awakens. This is due in part to having the story worked out amongst separate writers. That's a lot of why I didn't like the EU books as well. A story group sketches out a loose plotline and individual writers fill out the rest. Abrams put a lot of interesting things on screen and teased a story that got overruled by Johnson, I feel. When 9 is finished it will seem like 3 standalone stories to me rather than a trilogy. That wasn't a good idea in my opinion.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Yeah it's the lack of a plan that is mainly the problem.

And the disregard for established continuity

The MCU has a plan, it's worked very well. All the movies are linked & made with different directors to fit in with a pre-planned end goal (Avengers movie) in mind.

I care little for the end of the old EU.
    Large chunks of it were as unoriginal as some of the Disney stuff. Lazy rehashing of the OT story.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  14. eko32eko7

eko32eko7 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 10, 2018
    I do not like the presence of books in TGFFA. I believe the first time I encountered this was in the Bloodline novel and it was immediately jarring. To me, TGFFA seemed immediately smaller, less ancient, less mysterious and more common/typical/mundane... I get that they seem to have an allergy to holocrons over at LFL these days, but were books really all they could come up with?

Alexrd likes this.
  15. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Print books and e-books co-exist today. Why couldn't the same happen in another society?

Iron_lord and Outsourced like this.
  16. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Because it supposed to be Star Wars? You don't see cars in Star Wars. You see speeders. You don't see phones in Star Wars. You see holograms. You don't see bullets. You see laser bolts. You don't get the same thing you would get on Earth. You get something else that is similar but equivalent and fictional. Something apropos.

You don't see paper books in the Jedi library shelves. A library that has existed for hundreds (if not thousands) of years.

I completely agree with @eko32eko7.

17. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Episode III showed us a multi-wheeled tank and Rogue One had another tank with treads instead of hover tech (not counting the flying cars that appear often on).

We see characters using little communication devices throughout the movies that are more or less like sci-fi cell phones.

Actually we do; the Tusken Raiders in Episode I used "slug-throwing" rifles and other canonical material has stated that bullet weapons and blasters co-exist.

A lot of the time, sure, but not always.

A.) We have seen paper and printed books before in the franchise exist alongside digital media (both in canon and Legends) and B.) the Ach-To library predates the Coruscant Jedi Temple archives.

18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    So? It's still not a car. Not even a regular tank.

But that's the whole point. To serve the same purpose but not to look like or be the same thing.

No, they fire small laser bolts. And I'm referring to the movies, not EU or other similar "canonical material".

19. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I didn't mind the books as such but considering that the way they got to the island and in fact that planet and system was with spaceships traveling through hyperspace it does seem somewhat anachronistic. So presumably the books were taken there in the first place and not written there.

Seemed a huge missed opportunity to introduce Jedi holocrons in the movies.

Putting the actual events of stories aside for a moment many of the environments have been underwhelming.

TFA 3 uninteresting combinations of forest and/or water planets, snow and sand. All basically barren and untextured.

TLJ had the same forest/water planets then a bunch of ships that look the same and cause confusion as to where they are. They became interchangeable in the story. One ship started tracking the Resistance then it got switched to another. Lucky for the Resistance they guessed right which was which. Then another planet that was pointed out to be salt instead of snow otherwise we wouldn't have guess.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  20. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Similar level of tech, though, and showing that older and newer tech systems can co-exist.

Not sure I see the problem.

I distinctly remember seeing and hearing bullets. In any event, the Wook does cite them as slug throwers.

21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Similar in what exactly? There's no older and new. The tank is definitely not old. They are simply different and being used concurrently with other types of tech.

I do. That's why I said I agree with him.

These are laser bolts, not bullets:

[​IMG]

And not that I really care about this when the movie makes it perfectly clear, but the official databank calls them blasters too.

22. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Likes/Dislikes About the Disney era so far:

1. Rogue One
    It has solidified it's place as my second favorite SW movie, in part due to the fact that it is simply an extremely well made film from top to bottom, regardless if one likes SW or not. And the trade paperback and novelization are top notch, adding many new scenes/details not seen in the film.

2. Comics/Trade Paperbacks
    The initial Darth Vader series was awesome; everything one could hope for from the Dark Lord of the Sith in this time period. I also enjoyed the first three tradebacks of the main Star Wars line, which focus on the big three from the OT, plus the Vader Down crossover. That's all I've kept up with for now, but hope to continue reading as time permits.

3. The Last Jedi
    Although the controversy over this film persists, I still admire the fact that it took chances and made people think about SW and talk about it passionately. The novelization written by Jason Fry is quite good and and I will definitely reread it again after the ST is complete. I even bought the Visual Dictionary which is incredibly thorough and so much fun to read.
    TLJ is visually stunning and the actors perform well. There are issues with the film, no doubt, but I await the conclusion of the ST for perspective.

4. Rebels
    The good episodes of this series are prevalent enough to make the 4 season journey worth it and the few great episodes nearly equal some of the films in quality. For example, the two part S2 finale, "Twilight of the Apprentice" is epic and an essential part of SW canon, imo.

5. From A Certain Point of View
    Excellent collection of stories recounting the events of ANH. Very creative concept executed well. Top notch.

6. Lost Stars
    Great novel, easy to read, spanning the events of the OT into the time of TFA through the eyes of two friends on opposite sides. Excellent writing by Claudia Gray.

7. Ahsoka
    Well written novel, especially for fans of the character interested in what happened to her after she left the Jedi Temple.

8. Forces of Destiny
    These 2 minute, short episodes are fun to watch, and present SW characters in new situations that expand on the films, like deleted scenes, or simply create new adventures. SW fun for the whole family.

9. TFA
    Biggest disappointment due to lack of creativity and originality. This movie does not age well and the mystery boxes seem irrelevant now. I've seen TFA at least 15 times by now, and unlike any other SW film, it gets worse with each viewing, IMO. I won't go on here, but suffice to say, I rank it last out of the SW films.
    Perhaps Episode IX will change that ranking?

10. Nothing specific, just a lack of interest to read most of the other novels, based on what I've read so far and word of mouth. The exceptions being Bloodline, Dark Disciple, Thrawn, and the Lando comic.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  23. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    I was thinking of wheels technology coexisting with hover tech.

Fair enough.

Okay, I stand corrected.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    What I like:

Maintaining the used future idea, especially in the spin-offs
    More cast diversity
    Better dialogue
    Better visuals
    Development of TV including Rebels & new planed shows like Resistance & whatever Favreau is working on.

What I dislike:

Seems to be no overall story plan for anything, including the trilogy films.
    Reusing old plot lines (TFA) & doing movies with characters that already exist instead of new fresh ideas (Han Solo movie, Obi Wan movie, maybe a Lando movie)
    Music hasn't been as good
    Apparent disregard for established rules & continuity. Although Lucasdid the same much of the time

25. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    Like, maybe:
    Two years between Episodes instead of three makes for less of a wait. I can't say if it means less time is spent constructing a story. I would be fine with those being the only movies to retain the sense of it all being special.
    I don't like what looks like a deceptive way of replacing the classic movies and putting down how the prequels were made. The promotional stuff for "The Force Awakens" emphasized using "real sets" and real film. All too often I see comments comparing casting now with casting in the past, almost making Lucas and everyone involved out to be bigots by today's definition.

Last edited: May 24, 2018