main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Maul in Kenobi

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    There is hope we will see an Inquisitor or two on screen
    Maybe in the Kenobi Movie.

2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I might be in the minority here, but I'd hope Maul doesn't appear in Kenobi. Seeing his final showdown with him in Rebels seemed perfect IMO. It seems more compelling if that would be the first time Ben sees him since the days of the Clone Wars IMO, rather than Ben having faced off with him before, while he was on Tattooine. I guess maybe once, and not on Tattooine-on another planet maybe early on. But IMO there's no way to do that without it either feeling shoehorned in or by making Maul a main part of the plot.

3. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Completely agree... I'm sure the idea has to do with thinking of Maul as the runner-up arch-enemy for Kenobi behind Vader, but having either of them in there would be shoehorning -- slightly, vaguely possible to have it fit with canon but awkward and clearly counter to the intention of prior works.

I'm happy with Solo being lore-heavy, but would prefer Kenobi to be nearly lore-free. No Vader, Maul, romancing Rey's hypothetical grandmother, Yoda force-skyping... I'm okay with Qui-Gonn lending vocal guidance, and Owen being involved, but that's where I would prefer it to end. Self-contained... just a good Yojimbo-type thing.

4. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Another image floating around on reddit.

5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    yeah, the picture looks cool but its resolution isnt that great. Looks like Maul is grinning as he ignites his double-bladed lightsaber. Its a properly aged 2018 Ray Park. Maul looks like he saw a lot of combat, which of cause he we know he did. Seems they scarred him up on the side of the head.

6. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Darth Maul (like Count Dooku later) served his purpose as a prototype of Darth Vader. I didn't like it when Lucas changed his mind, and decided to bring Maul back to life in TCW; although I highly enjoyed the Darth Maul Episodes of TCW, in spite of that fact. [face_sigh] It would make more sense to have Boba Fett make a big Cameo appearance in Solo: a Star Wars Story.

7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The way they wrote it doesn't really pin it down which was intentional. They've already met multiple times so once again really wouldn't be a problem.

The more difficult aspect would be trying to have Obi-Wan and Vader meet between III and IV because that is all in the movies.

8. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Obiwan should fight no darksider in his film.

Vader? Nope for obvious reasons.

Inquisitor? Could work but a dead Inquisitor would raise unwanted flags. Sure red blades have appeared in every film so far, but I think Kenobi can break that tradition. Besides the villian shouldn't be Imperials.

Maul? Technically could happen but it would feel like shoehorning an encounter. Not only will Obiwan have to leave Tatooine, but the film can't end with the true conclusion of their relationship with what we know in Rebels. Also your going to need Maul believing that Obiwan is dead by the end of the film. Maul's continued live action appearance deserves to instead be in a different Anthology/live action TV series (perfect for a "underworld" setting).

A villain could still wield a saber, but he doesn't have to be force sensitive. Perhaps one of the baddies is someone who collects an assortment of weapons, a jedi saber being one of them.

The clash of sabers could even be avoided with Old Ben. Maybe just see it in a dream sequence with an Anakin cameo, or flashbacks to pre-TPM with boy Obiwan in some saber training (Qui-gon Jinn appearance).

I hope we see Obiwan dealing with hostile encounters without drawing his lightsaber for a bit. He can prefer not to use one because of unwanted attention if word gets out a Jedi is still alive. Even using a blaster (benefit of a stun setting) instead. When things get serious and his saber can help to save innocents that otherwise will die without it, then he brings it out.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah we got our final Maul / Obi-Wan confrontation in Rebels. Maybe a darksider somehow Obi-Wan could fight but that's stretching it.

10. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    No thanks, for reasons folks have already said. I'd rather Obi-Wan be the only adult force sensitive on Tattooine. It makes him more unique, alone etc.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    cwustudent and Bor Mullet like this.
  11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I would be open to a recreation of the Rebels confrontation, though, because of how great (and refreshingly understated) it was.

12. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Just seen Solo. That’s one heck of a tease. My gut feeling now is they’re setting him up to appear in Kenobi and we’ll see some stuff from Clone Wars (to show his return) and Rebels (final duel) revisited.

BalanceOfTheForce likes this.
  13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    After seeing Maul in solo, i think they use him as mutch as they can at least that what i got from his cameo. Maul spin off in future we see his past in prequel era and his time in dark times. From TWC to Solo, Solo to Twin suns. In 10 years we'll have That rematch in live action.

Bossk_Baby and BalanceOfTheForce like this.
  14. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    I agree that in terms of story, it would be plausible that Obi-Wan could've met with Maul again at some point after ROTS (before we see him in Rebels). I simply would prefer he didn't. I kind of like the idea that Obi-Wan has moved on, with different priorities, and Darth Maul has wasted all these years obsessing over his revenge against Kenobi. Then when Obi-Wan finally sees him on Tattooine, he's like "OMG You're still alive, and on about this? I've soooo moved on with more important things!" so to speak. I love the idea that Darth Maul essentially became a ghost over those years, wandering in a galaxy that he no longer has any place in, as things have moved on around him beyond his old pre-clone wars obsessions.

To me, Obi-Wan meeting up with Maul between that time (once I'd be okay with I guess-early on-but after that) cheapens that sentiment. It's doable, sure-but IMO that doesn't mean it SHOULD be done. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Nadroj ilain likes this.
  15. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    If the Kenobi film was truly another Maul vs Obiwan, then I would lose interest in this path of unoriginality. Their are so many more better ideas for anthologies then that.

Baron_Papanerd and DannyD like this.
  16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I don't think he appears in person, but i think he have small role, so people don't forget Maul when he appears again in 3-4 years. flashback and dreams in Kenobi, let him be Obi wan's Gollum.

17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    That all happens afterwards though in Rebels which by the Solo timeline is still near a decade away.

In any Kenobi movie there really has got to be somebody to provide the enemy or at least a Force wielding enemy. Maul is clearly the best option outside of Vader so it'd be odd to not use him. Doubly so now that Maul is back in the movies.

The general audience really only knows the movies and the attitude of Disney is clearly very cavalier in terms of the wider canon. If anyone really wants to know the deeper backstory then their attitude is that it can be looked up. The reality is that the larger audience really doesn't get deep into this and they just accept what they see. So it's really up to the company itself to have integrity of story which has been middling at this point.

18. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    I disagree with this sentiment. Let Kenobi film be different from other films by having him be the sole Adult Force User shown on Tatooine. We have already seen plenty of duels Obiwan has had with force users, its better for him to have a conflict with non-force sensitives.

Some might say "That's lame, because it would be to easy for Obiwan, regular people arn't much of a threat"

I would say, that with Obiwan being the sole Jedi and striving to also hide his identity from those who if found out, could have that info fall in the wrong hands, it creates differences then his usual fights with non-force villains during the clone wars. Even a large group of Tuskens or Criminals could be a problem for Obiwan.

Having Obiwan roped into a conflict where Criminals(perhaps working for Jabba) are threatening innocents, while at the same time Tuskens are causing trouble with the locals (in the area close to where young Luke is at), would create an interesting setting for a movie. Seeing him trying to help innocents while still trying to keep a low radar and having no Jedi back up.

Shaak Ti and DARTH_BELO like this.
  19. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    I think the have to recreate the final Obi-Wan vs Maul fight in Rebels since they have now brought him back to life to casual audiences and they haven't watched Rebels so they don't know that he's dead.

In the film I'd have it all from Obi-Wan's point of view and I would have Obi-Wan having visions of Maul during the course of the film to build up to their final showdown. I think the majority of the film will deal with Obi-Wan's struggle to stay exiled on Tatooine and him protecting Luke from Criminals and/or Sand People, his fight with Maul would be like the cherry on top.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Shaak Ti and seattlemusicnerd like this.
  20. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe Maul will be in the Boba Fett movie instead ? Makes sense considering that it will probably also focus on the underworld.

A Boba Fett vs Maul fight would be cool :D

Shaak Ti and Django Fett like this.
  21. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    My thoughts as well. Everyone loves a good fish out of water story, and Obi-Wan trying to keep his Jedi powers a secret could be an interesting subplot.

Thing is, casual audiences likely haven't watched TCW either, so they don't know he's alive, either!

22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    At his end in Rebels, his rule of Crimson Dawn is done.

He is alone, and perhaps commiting suicide-by-Jedi, having been previously defeated by Jabba and/or Qi'ra.

23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    In movies terms I find that highly unlikely. That is a story for outside of movies.

In movies he leaves Tatooine possibly to help some Jedi. As I said elsewhere I see could see him being tracked down by Quinlan Vos, recruited to save some Jedi who are being transported to Mustafar and meet Maul along the way plus some appearance by Vader and Sidious (unaware of Obi-Wan's involvement).

The point of movies is to have massive events that is the reason why the movie is being made.

24. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Perhaps the premise of the Kenobi film will involve Crimson Dawn posing some kind of threat on Tatooine, and Obi-Wan factors into bringing it down, further adding to Maul's litany of vendettas against him.

25. Uncivilized

Uncivilized Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2015
    Solo ends with Solo and Chewie going to Tatooine. Maul is in pursuit and who does he run into on Tatooine... Kenobi!
    Solo then screws up his job for Jabba. Who works for Jabba... Fett!
    Fett is now also chasing after Solo.
    Disney has put some thought into this. I'm convinced that Fett, Obi-wan and Solo are all one big project... not separate movies.

MYMUTHAZ and Bossk_Baby like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.