main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    That's the whole problem: Crimson Dawn doesn't control Kessel, the Pykes do.

AV-6R7 and tatooinesandworm like this.
  2. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    The dice are used in the "Corellian Spike" variant of sabacc. After each betting phase, the "spike dice" are rolled. A roll of doubles discards each player's hand, replacing it with unseen card from the deck.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    tatooinesandworm likes this.
  3. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    At least we know how Aurra Sing died :p

4. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Probably

She could have fallen out of sight, caught a ledge, and gave up her life of bounty hunting to start a Tooka farm in the outer rim.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Something this movie does better than the other Disney movies so far - and self-consciously, to the point of making fun of it - is reference offscreen adventures constantly.
    Does it happen after every betting phase, or at a player's discretion? Only the former makes sense to me.

6. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Qi'ra killing Vos, aside from partially protecting Han, I mean realistically after the blundering and piss-poor job Maul would've killled him himself like Vader would an Imperial. Vos apparently was abusive & sadist, Qi'ra seems to be a killer herself and her killing him basically broke her chains that bind her to him. Qi'ra saw that he was screwing up and that was an opening for her to move up. She made it a point that about weaknesses , and that it had to be her hand that slayed Vos and not Han. Once she put the ring on, it was clearly to gain power

I guess they were trying to go for Han was a deserter like Finn was, they both seem to have no qualms betraying and murdering their former comrades despite both basically not wanting to kill anyone and fight in wars. The Empire basically gave Han his shot and family, but Han seems to always be the undisciplined rebel and of course he's prone to insubordination & brigandage. He seems to always betray those he works for, its amazing anyone hires him even as far into the post ROTJ period where he again proves unreliable among other things.

Han also quickly forms friendly attachments like Finn did with Poe , Rose & Rey, in the movie its Han with Chewie, Becket , Lando, Rio and Qi-ra. Its like they split Han into Finn and Poe for the ST. Nest's people are out trying to kill them all, and succeed in killing Rio who died in front of Han, but yet they oddly have Han getting all sentimental towards Nest later on. It was weird.

I liked that Han was more like Poe Dameron than wholly just Han from the OT, there is also some Starlord thrown in, both seem to have some redneck cowboy caricature father-figure that wanted to kill or capture or sell them out.

The Crimson Dawn in the film comes across as powerful if not more powerful than the corrupt Empire, whose economy and personal individual wealth is subservient to the criminal underworld. Vos even flies around all urbane & nonchalant and semi-cool looking guards but at the end they're easily wiped out. You're like what?

Han killing Beckett was kinda similar to when Kylo killed Han but it was just meh. Qi'ra lying to Maul was kinda similar to when Kylo lied about killing Snoke and blamed Rey. Was another awkward similarity.

Maul obviously knows Qi'ra was lying to him since he can read minds among other things. Qi'ra betrayed Vos for a few reasons, one apparently Vos is bloodthirsty madman behind countless atrocities, Nest's sad story connected to her, two he was gonna kill Han, and three she wanted to take his place in a manner similar to Sith apprentices what to supplant their masters. Maul may allow such kratocratic practices and indulges so long as they do interfere with his true plans or become a threat to him.

Nest was a lame character, was she supposed to be Xena with that theme? They should've had Qi'ra vs Nest scene. Does Nest work for Fulcrum-Ahsoka and Bail?

Vos was an interesting character but was useless in the film as far as a villain since he never really came across as one, even if he does villainous things but thats the lifestyle and they're all in it and the Star Wars galaxy was never ever peaceful. Vos, whose mood swings could rival Kylo Ren's, but he was certainly not a front line commander either, he came across as evil Wall Street stock market guy playing gangster. They never explain how Nest gets to the planet before Vos at the end of the movie, nor does the Crimson Dawn minions he commands under his watch apparently put the pressure on Nest's gang when they always seem to getting the spied on and beaten to the punch somehow ever so conveniently.

Lando was typical Lando.

The Empire appears and disappears throughout the film, that is hard to understand and hurt the film since they needed a bigger part. The special fuel is strange, but the Kyber crystals in Rogue One were handled better. It would've better if they had a character like Krennic appearing that could've got foiled by the Crimson Dawn/Solo-Beckett. A lack of proper antagonist hurt the film.

I liked the Kessel run, it reminds of TPM undersea monster chase scenes. I did like the octopus cthulhu-like creature.

Best of the movie was clearly the Maul cameo but its there to push another story thats not in the film. Maul is all bulked up and sinister, gold-chain overlorded out, duel of fates playing, ex-Inquisitor lightsaber now so clearly Maul's own weapon of death, he's ready for war and completely confident like he was in TPM . Qi'ra sells Beckett as the sole traitor but a few minutes after her message to Maul, somehow Solo gets ahead of Beckett(which was itself very silly and strangely unexplained and played like a joke) and shoots him dead. You're like what was point of Qi'ra selling Beckett, sure its to protect Han, but did she actually think Maul would not go after the crew . Maul tells Qi'ra, to come to him on Dathomir where together they'll both decide the fates of Beckett and his accomplices.

She's surely going to Dathomir as she was commanded if she doesn't then she'll be hunted.

Beckett figured she was the one that killed Vos, and he always knew what and who she was, Han just remembered her as the same girl he knew and passed everything off as yeah they both killed people whats the big deal. But there is differences apparent, Han is always the goodheart(cause he's the hero)while there is something darker with Qi'ra.

7. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    This was absolutely the wrong place to take the Han character. Before, Han was not a deserter. The core story was written even before the modern EU (it's in my 1992 Super Star Wars Official Secrets book)--Han was in the Empire, freed Chewie from slavery after seeing the horrors of Imperial slave brutality on Chewie, and was dishonorably discharged. Barred from ANY legal work as a result, he was forced into the underworld.

How could they possibly get such a simple story wrong? Because of them changing it, you're right--Han's basically an unreliable deserter now.

Actually I seem to be alone here (most reviews love Lando, but I feel they are loving Glover the amazing actor and not the Lando character in this movie) but I thought Lando was also terribly written, but superbly acted. Donald Glover did an amazing job portraying the character on his script and it's not his fault but you know what--the guy talks like Lando, walks like Lando, kind of looks like him but isn't him. And this isn't Glover's fault at all, it's the writing.

Here's where I stand on this. Before ESB, we're supposed to feel that Han and Lando had a genuine friendship. Lando's betrayal is supposed to be a shock. Well it's not a shock now if he literally already betrayed Han and left him to the mercy of Enfys Nest in this movie.

Lando and Han have no reason to like each other. Han cost Lando his droid, and then his ship. Lando outright tells Han "I hate you". This is played off as a joke, but it's entirely genuine. There's absolutely no friendship at all like there was in the old canon.

Oh, and Lando's a cheater now. It doesn't even make sense in universe. I'm sorry but if a naive kid (as Han is portrayed as) could catch on that Lando's cheating, then it's ridiculous that those 6 eyed aliens or anyone never caught on--it suspends disbelief. Realistically Lando would have had his arms ripped off by some Wookiee or Lasat he cheated by now.

They need to build the friendship between Han and Lando first, THEN break it up in the incident referred to in ESB ("I'm sure he's forgotten about that by now"), possibly in the implied sequel featuring Qi'ra and Maul. As it is, even by the end of this Solo movie we see Lando and Han aren't really friends, so what is there to break up in the future?

Thus in ESB their friendship is something we are told rather than shown, and the implied promise that we'd actually see this friendship is never fulfilled in this movie. We still have to turn to the Crispin Han Solo Trilogy for that and it's sad because it's a waste of Donald Glover's incredible talent that he's playing generic conman who happens to be named Lando instead of Lando who was Han's friend.

Glover did great with what he was given. I didn't like the way the Kasdans took the characters--ironic that Lawrence Kasdan is repeatedly hyped up as some 'Han Solo' expert when it seems he doesn't understand the character at all.

And while I respect that Lawrence Kasdan helped create Lando, the friendship (or lack of) between Lando and Han in this prequel is giving me the same reaction I had when I saw that Owen Lars and Anakin's disagreements and close relationship hinted at in ANH was basically overwritten in AOTC.

Daneira and kalzeth like this.
  8. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Her hate kept her alive and she's going to cameo as the real villain at the end of the Obi-Wan movie

9. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Sure. But Beckett is already dead so who
    Does she hate? Probably Lando cause he owes her a ton of money.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

10. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I was already spoiled there was a big cameo and when the moment came I was blown away.

What I was expecting was that Boba Fett was actually posing as the armor in the room and was gonna shoot Qira and contact Jabba or Vader. Why? I felt the camera was giving too much emphasis on the armor on the background.

Another thing I'm glad happened is that the cameo torpedoed into oblivion that nonsense of Disney trying to ignore the prequels some people had. So yeah I'm on team Maul 2018.

11. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Lando has always been a cheat. Or cheat esque.

I thought how they left the lando han relationship wad perfect. Because you could see where the animosity from esb could come from, but they are also still cordial enough for further adventures. Hell in the old eu what did they have like 3 falling outs before empire?

12. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Im not seeing it. The lando here, after esb, would have left han in carbonite and taken leia and chewie to vaders ship like he was asked. And he would say "im following the law, grownups are talking" if leia protested.

This lando would say han got what he deserved for being a rebel and cheating jabba, and negotiate with vader to get the falcon back after he shuttled leia and chewie to the executor. Lando would not get involved with the rebels, the way he stayed out of the enfys nest incident years ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

kalzeth likes this.
  13. AzureOwl

AzureOwl Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    I didn’t express myself right.

The Pykes control Kessel, but Crimson Dawn probably engages in other unrelated criminal activities in the regions of space near Kessel.

If the Pykes ever find out that CD was behind the heist they’ll retaliate, and the CD assets near Kessel will probably be the first target. If the capo in charge of those assets is someone other than Vos, then Vos okaying the heist without consulting first would be a real dick move.

14. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Yeah, am not entirely sure Aurra is confirmed dead,lol.

Its stated that Crimson Dawn and the Pykes have some form of alliance/truce pact, and Vos was initially reluctant to OK the Solo-Beckett plot because it was too risky and he was not authorized to move against peace/alliance accord whatever. He only agrees with it since Beckett-Solo could not be traced to him(Crimson Dawn) supposedly. Qi-ra was to go along with to make sure they all followed through or apparently would be killed if they didnt. And Qi-ra pretty much vouched for Han.

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd be surprised if she was dead as well - seeing a person fall doesn't necessarily mean they died.

kalzeth likes this.
  16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Small detail: Loved that they called the probe droids "vipers" and not "probots". I know the latter might be canon somewhere, but, well, it's stupid, so I'm glad it's never been vocalized onscreen. :)

I think this is clearly the intent- they've only just met and there are clearly encounters between the two in the future yet to happen (Han is aware of what Lando did at Taanab, for instance, and we haven't had that occur yet).

That articles premise is terrible- "I overthought the cameo to make it be something it isn't so now I'm going to try to ruin the way it is supposed to be taken for others who would". It's pushing a hardcore SW film fan POV on a general audience/reader (or even a casual film fan). The whole "if it isn't explained it has no purpose" approach is just silly/possessive and, possibly even in some cases, vindictive (in a "I don't like that *I* know that this information is out there and that *I* feel that affects my viewing experience in ways that it doesn't affect non-hardcore fans, so let me ruin their experience so they'll be as frustrated as I am" type of way).

A boot on the floor, therefore Barbossa is back from the dead and a good guy. Yep, that tracks.

Also, I forgot to mention the more obvious visual connection: Vos's red Mandalorian armor on display (and, I think, potentially a Sith Holocron [or something of inspired design]. Wonder whom he might have gotten that from?

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Point of logic: if the plan is only okayed because Beckett and Han will not be traceable to Crimson Dawn, why send along Qi'ra, who's the right-hand woman of Crimson Dawn capo Dryden Vos and is more or less guaranteed to make the caper traceable to Crimson Dawn and Vos specifically?

18. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    The movie surely did have problems. And thats the writers for ya. She had already comprised the mission from the start when Weazel spotted her near Lando's gambling table when Solo was attempting to procure a ship - and from then on the whole thing was a mess and somehow Nest's group were always a step ahead of Beckett . In fact Nest was all the time since the beginning of the movie always onto Beckett's capers and they never really reveal how so even back on Vandor was compromised but somehow Val suspected it was. Nest somehow beats Beckett to Savareen- which somehow is Nest's planet. Nest, Beckett and Vos all seem to go to same parties and hang around the same dumps.

In the movie apparently Qi-ra was there much like Evil-Lyn was in MOTU movie when she vouched for Karg and had to go herself. To ensure everything goes to plan or she'll be held accountable, which Vos did hold her to since she betrayed him but she was a better fighter than Vos the man whom apparently trained/loved her.

kalzeth likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And now i'm going to edit in Langela's Skeletor in place of the Maul hologram.

AusStig and Ulicus like this.
  20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yes, I get that, but sending her along to do so nullifies the entire basis on which the plan was just approved, which is that the personnel involved would keep it from being traceable to Dryden Vos.

21. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I assumed they found out about the shipment through a spy in Vos's ranks perhaps even Val herself since she did bring Enfys up in the conversation prior to that mission.
    They tagged the Falcon so knew where they were going, knew what they were after and clearly recognised where they would have to go to refine that unrefined fuel.
    I did wonder if Enfys is a title handed down in the family so Beckett was unaware who they were, which is odd since the Crimson Dawn effectively created them?

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Maul vs Vader to end this arc. It’s coming

23. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Han Solo v Darth Maul the final battle ^:)^

Ulicus and The2ndQuest like this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Could that even work, though? Maul needs to be left beaten and broken but can you really see Vader not making sure Maul is for-realsies dead once they’ve engaged?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Maul v Vader will be like this :p