main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Solo box-office discussion

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by dolphin, Nov 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It certainly isn't a disaster. Considering all the behind the scenes turmoil during its shooting, this should be a massive relief.

Satipo likes this.
  2. Jedha

Jedha Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2017
    I just beg to disagree. AE is not "charismatic" to me. Ultimately he is miscast, if you are gonna do Han you need a Harrisonesque actor to do it. If you are gonna hire an acting coach for AE then dagnabbit hire an acting coach for a HF lookalike the result would have been just as good.

3. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Okay i'm back and I posted my review on Rotten Tomato.
    Gave it 4/5 it was alot better than I expected.
    So some spoilers don't say I didn't warn you!

Aurra Song killed by Tobias Beckett, well ok he admits it was the fall that killed her!

Lando cares a great deal for L3 who I admit liking!

The cameo was much better than I expected, I'm actually hoping they keep Rebels canon at this point but it's unlikely even if it was better if they did!

Mimban was interesting, my spell checker however still sucks!

Oh I still loathe what they did with tlj but like Rogue One I'm very tempted to pick this movie up on blu ray given the chance!

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    MS1 and Glitterstimm like this.
  4. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    You still have respect for RT audience polling?

DarthRosie, Outsourced and Satipo like this.
  5. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Kennedy doesn’t need to go, but the franchise absolutely needs a cohesive direction. Just plan stuff out. You’ve got a story group on your payroll for that very reason. The fact that Rian Johnson got to do whatever the hell he damn pleased will never not be a puzzling decision.

That’s the difference between Marvel and SW. No Marvel movie is disposable, because it’s all part of an overarching plan. And the main problem with Solo is that it’s got no connection to previous movies and - unless they pick up on the Maul cliffhanger - will not have any impact moving forward. People can skip it and not miss anything but two hours of fun.

6. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    RTs and IMDB's voting systems are completely broken. I looked at Solo's IMDB rating the other day and the vast majority of votes were 10/10 or 1/10.

What joke.

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Ashoka, I like your contributions to this forum a lot. But you pretty consistently don’t read what I say before reacting. I said, IMO, Alden is just as charismatic as Ford. That’s my opinion. I then said that a lot of fans didn’t give Alden a chance. I find evidence of that everywhere. I didn’t say they should think of him as just as charismatic as Ford, but that they should give him a chance. I stand by that. Then I said there is mean-spiritedness toward Alden in the fandom, and that has nothing to do with having to think he’s just as charismatic as Ford (my opinion). It has to do with not giving him a chance, and lots of fans online being incredibly nasty towards him as an actor - relentlessly repeating an unsubstantiated rumor about an acting coach just for him, and ridiculing his acting skills at every turn. There were thousands of YouTube videos of this type online, and numerous comments across social media that were personally insulting to him almost on the level of Jake Lloyd ridicule.

So to repeat. I am not suggesting that fans should believe Alden is as charismatic as Ford. That’s an unfairly high bar to expect, and pretty unrealistic. I am simply appealing to fans to give him a chance (and watch him in the film before announcing a final judgment), and not be mean-spirited towards him and his capabilities as an actor.

A little civility would do this fandom good, and I’m frankly just sick of the vitriol and vinegar. This is a fandom that started on the foundation of the good heart of Luke Skywalker. Let’s try to reflect some of that in how we talk about people, including the cast and crew.

But as I’m not a dictator, that’s a suggestion, not an order. So there’s no need to see it as anything more than that.

There is ZERO evidence that an acting coach was hired just for Alden. And yet this is the kind of thing that became conventional wisdom all over social media, to the point that people just casually mention it as if it’s eatsblished fact. All we know is that L&M brought a consultant onto the set - someone they worked with on all their comedies - to act as a resource for all the actors in terms of understanding L&M’s style and tone. This is a really damaging rumor, one that can be very damaging to Alden’s reputation, and it needs to stop being repeated.

Trikuza23 likes this.
  8. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Well it's my first time and I figure an honest review helps and I doubt i'm the only one!

9. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I told you guys back then that this was going to happen. Just read the new article on deadline.com on Han Solo and the box office, then there is the box office mojo site. The movie just made only $47 million (including international take). First of all, forget the billion dollar marker that is practically done, next, I find it very hard for the movie to get anything remotely near $700-$900 million total box office. We will be lucky if we can get to Ready Player One at this point. Me, well, I liked the movie, and saw two times. It wasn't that bad, but like some said, you can expect those "What is happening to Star Wars" posts to pop up if they are not popping up already. The only thing that I can say about the MCU is that they have had 10 years of this and Star Wars has only been 3, and Marvel has a lot of material to work with. Star Wars...this is all new.

10. Chosen_Jedi74

Chosen_Jedi74 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    I agree a lot of positive WOM so still a good chance this movie has some legs.

11. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Well you didn’t give any context for what was supposedly mean spirited. You said that after a statement that he’s just as charismatic as HF in response to a comment that Hf is irreplaceable (a sentiment I 100% agree with). None of that demonstrates mean spiritedness, but you continued on talking about that.

Like you, I think there’s mean spirited behavior toward him. It just hasn’t demonstrated itself in the context of this conversation. Moreover, I think the mean spiritedness was totally foreseeable and obvious, hence why I thought this was unfair to the actor from the beginning.

12. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm not even sure we are at a comparable MCU-type junction for a SWU. Lucasfilm seems to be in the process of figuring that out.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm pretty sure they have a fairly decent idea of the direction they are headed in. Certainly no less than the OT or the PT. The issue with TLJ for some is not that RJ got to fill in the next episode so much as they didn't like the way he fleshed it out.

They have Benioff and Weiss working on their thing, RJ on his trilogy, IX and the Stand-alones hitting the nostalgia buttons.

I'd say that's as much direction as they need right now.

And people forget - whatever we see today, was all mapped out 3 years ago.

Just because we're not seeing THE GRAND PLAN doesn't mean there is no direction.

And you can see the way they are weaving in little connections in the storytelling that they have an overall - if fluid plan in mind.

Krueger and Trikuza23 like this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Fair enough. It’s easy to misinterpret people on the interwebs. I do it myself sometimes. That said, fans really should stop spreading the unsubstantiated “acting coach” rumor, which is probably already having a discernible impact on Alden’s reputation. It’s slanderous, and at odds with all we know about the situation, which was that L&M brought a consultant onto set for all the actors to use as a resource. They essentially hired some directing help, it seems, to handle this massive project. It wasn’t an acting coach for Alden.

AhsokaSolo and Trikuza23 like this.
  15. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    It was the dialect coach they have on all the films - the dude that plays Major Ematt.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  16. Jedha

Jedha Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2017
    Yes a dialect coach to help him mimic HF which is part of the job of an actor when reprising a role

"For months, it’s been reported that the actor struggled to effectively mimic Ford—to the point where Lucasfilm, allegedly concerned about his performance, ushered in a coach to coax out a better one."

you can cast someone who does not look like HF but is a talented mimic/actor or cast someone who looks like HF but is not necessarily a talented mimic/actor or you cast some one who can do both.

Disney failed on all fronts.

17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I agree, star wars is just beginning under the Disney regime and the first three movies where hits, so the fourth one won't be...so what. Didn't Marvel have the Incredible Hulk movie? In fact, one was included in the MCU and the other one wasn't yet both made low numbers. We are going to be alright, just don't expect anything big nor pad your hopes with legs or no legs. Just watch the movie and enjoy the contributions its making to the moving picture star wars movie live action universe. New shock troopers, tie fighters, etc.

ShaneP and Trikuza23 like this.
  18. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Wait, haven't reactions to AE been widely pretty positive?

19. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Work on those movies have yet to begin.

20. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    No, it’s been mixed.

Jedha likes this.
  21. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Where have they been mixed? Most of the reviews i've seen, here at least, say he's either good or at least OK.

22. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    The presence of an acting coach doesn't really say anything about the actor's talent one way or the other. And from what most everyone is saying, Alden did a pretty good job in the end. I don't know if casting based primarily on looks would have given a better result. But really, I would rather LFL stop recasting people and do something totally new.

23. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    Thor 1 and Captain America 1 made less than $200m domestic as I recall

vong333 and ShaneP like this.
  24. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    its been really positive from people that actually went to the movie

Krueger and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  25. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Yes, even from people who disliked the movie.

Trikuza23 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.