main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Prime Jedi

Prime Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Apr 14, 2018
    Why didn't Obi-Wan start training Luke when he was young, allowing him to be a formidable jedi by the time of ANH? Furthermore, why didn't Obi-Wan tell Leia to go get trained by Yoda along with Luke?

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    "Hidden, safe, the children must be kept." ― Yoda

"We must take them somewhere where the Sith will not sense their presence." ― Obi-Wan Kenobi

Prime Jedi and DarthIshyZ like this.
  3. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Obi Wan is referring to the qualities of the places they must be kept. Not about the danger of training them.

No Sith ever sense Yoda's presence on Dagobah. And he was Jedi Master Yoda! It would have seemed prudent to have at least one of the twins raised and trained there where the Sith apparent;u cannot sense powerful Jedi.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Obi-Wan is alerting about the fact that the Sith not being able to sense them is of the utmost importance. Training any of them in a significant way would cause a disturbance in the Force, and therefore alert the Sith. As kids, they would be particularly vulnerable.

Not only is Dagobah remote but Yoda is doing his best to not make his presence known.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  5. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    That's not what Obi-Wan says in the line you quoted. He refers to the place and their presence. Not what can or cannot be done there.

Why would the supposed disturbance that training triggers be significantly different from the presence of the surviving Jedi that Vader supposedly hunted down over this period?

I know it's a convenient solution to why Vader is oblivious to his connection with Leia. But Luke's "training" in ANH did not alert Vader or Sidious at that time. Neither did Luke being receptive to Ben's spirit voice immediately after he merged with the force on the Death Star alert Vader, who was only feet away, that he may have a more pertinent problem than the rebel base. A force sensitive who may already be trained somewhat.

Plus Vader dismisses the possibility of Luke receiving any training in ESB, when the disturbance was first discussed. "Obi-Wan can no longer help him."

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, it's what I said based on the argument that he stated, which was complementing Yoda's logic (whose quote I also posted).

Ask Sidious and how he sensed the disturbance in the Force that Luke caused (as opposed to someone else), as established in TESB.

Then again, Luke wasn't trained in a very significant way in ANH either and only at the very end did truly let go and trust the Force (and Vader noted it immediately). Definitely not the same as training a kid for years, which was the alternative presented. By the time of TESB, his connection to the Force and respective abilities were clearly improved and improving.

?! He noted it in ANH and spent the next movie chasing him.

Doesn't matter. He was introduced to the ways of the Force and he developed his skills enough to cause a disturbance, the Sith were made aware and went after him.

Prime Jedi likes this.
  7. Prime Jedi

Apr 14, 2018
    I know that Luke had the potential to be stronger than Vader, but why wouldn't Palpatine just kill Luke? I understand that the thought of turning Luke to the dark side was tempting for Palpatine, but if he would have focused on the battle instead of turning Luke, he could have quickly killed Luke, and then send Vader to destroy the troops that are trying to take down the shield generator. Then, he would have the galaxy with no equal and the Rebel Alliance would have lost.

8. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Ya see what you started?? :rolleyes:

Just kidding. Good question!

Prime Jedi likes this.
  9. Prime Jedi

Apr 14, 2018
    To quote Anakin: Not again. Obi-Wan's gonna kill me."[face_rofl]

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  10. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    It had less to do with Force disturbances/being found and more to do with Ben's lack of access of to him. It's been made pretty clear that Owen guarded Luke/flat out prevented him from doing anything outside of his farm duties. In both Canon versions where Ben has darkened the doors of the Lars homestead he was always met with hostility.

Powerful men want one thing, more power. "collecting" Luke into his fold would have given him another tool to project his power and inflict his will.

Prime Jedi likes this.
  11. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    This may be a better question for @Sinrebirth. Palpatine quite blatantly disregarded the Rule of Two. Why did he insist that Anakin kill Dooku and that Luke kill Vader to take his place? I understand that it cements you in that position somewhat, but couldn't he have just as well had Anakin or Luke join him without killing the predecessor? Or by killing a lesser being?

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  12. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    No more complicated than trading up and selecting the more powerful apprentice. If the apprentice to be defeats the sitting apprentice-why keep the defeated one? It's also the cementation of a dark act but what would currently be a light sider. If the act is not committed then the apprentice to be fate is sealed the other direction, i.e. Luke.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  13. CaptainYossarian

CaptainYossarian Jedi Master star 3

Mar 30, 2003
    There are probably a few reasons - the obvious ones like not training Luke helped to keep him off the radar of the Sith and so kept him safer, and Obi-Wan did not have much opportunity to contact Luke as he was growing up.

But another reason of the change in attitude towards the Force that Obi-Wan and Yoda had during their exiles. During the PT era they may have been too eager try and help everyone by using their powers to forcibly control events according to their own will. After the destruction of the Jedi Order they started to take a more hands off approach, listening to the will of the Force and letting events unfold however they may, and using their powers within that structure rather than bending it to their will.

So they could have trained Luke from birth to be a super warrior who would go and fight the Sith but I think that given the situation in which they found themselves they knew that wasn't what was supposed to happen. They should leave Luke alone and train him when the time was right. And Obi-Wan realised that was happening when the droids crashed back into his life. I like to think that when Obi-Wan meets Luke in ANH he realises that the time is at hand and that this is his last adventure. That's why he doesn't continue fighting Vader - he knows he has set Luke on the path and so that this is the way things should happen.

You can see that Luke is working along similar lines in Ep 8 although he is taking it to an extreme by absolutely cutting himself off and refusing to get involved in any way. Ultimately though he uses his knowledge of the Force and wisdom to do both - he actually does go and fight the First Order single handed, but does so in a way that means he was never really there and so preserves his vow of non-interference. Then he is at peace when he dies because he knows he has done the right thing at the right time and started Rey off on her path.

There is also the question of why Leia was seemingly never considered for Jedi training and sent to face her father. I think in some ways this is due to their genders and the particular innate abilities they had. I think Luke being trained was in part due to him being a man - the father/son dynamic would be stronger when the confrontation happened - especially Luke was so much like Anakin. Being like Anakin (but on the light side) would be an advantage for Luke when he faced Vader, since Vader would be in some ways facing himself.

One thing to consider is that Anakin did not know his children. Had he actually known them and seen them grow up then it could be that sending his daughter to face him would be a better option because it would play on his emotions more and unbalance him. As it was his children were strangers to him, so it was his son that was more likely to provoke a reaction since he would recognise himself in Luke.

Obi-Wan and Yoda may have felt that Leia's skills were better put to use in the political arena and organising the Alliance. Since she was adopted by the Organas they knew Leia would support their political work and the growing rebellion and Leia's innate abilities undoubtedly helped her in those fields. You can't so much see Luke in the Senate or organising the rebels in his younger days. The Jedi may have felt that Leia's Force abilities were more emotional and intellectually based, allowing her to work with people and figure out strategies. Another thing that may point to that is that Leia had memories of Padme even though she died so soon after the twins were born, whereas Luke had no such memories. It must be that Leia's innate abilities allowed her to access images and feelings from the past. So when considering their plan for the future, Yoda and Obi-Wan may well have seen that each twin had their own particular role to play and that they had to ensure that they were able to accomplish them within the unfolding galactic events.

Prime Jedi and DarthIshyZ like this.
  14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    @Sinrebirth A special request for you.

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Oddly, I had the latter tag but not the former come through. Cheers, Baz! The Rule of Two requires there to be just that; two Sith.

Sidious is hardly going to kill his apprentice for another one. His new one has to prove themselves - and also, if the new apprentice cannot murder in cold blood, there is no point taking it further. The RotS novel mentions that a la Vader killing Tyranus.

Creating new potential apprentices is also a way to keep the present one sharp - see the canon Vader comics for that.

In Legends, Vader originally intended to set his candidates against each other for the position of secret apprentice - Lumiya and Flint, who subsequently fought to decide the roles of master and apprentice. Maul and Savage decided their roles in the Rule in Canon in the same manner.

It’s best for the Rule if the candidates fight the apprentice. The master gets a stronger apprentice, and the apprentice has rivals at his own level to defeat and grow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Thanks, but didn't Palps disregard the RoT when it was convenient?

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    As did all the Sith Masters, indeed.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  18. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Hypocricsy and selective enforcement is another "rule of two" that the Sith utilize.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    When did that happen? From the movies alone, and Sidious being the only Sith Master, he definitely never had more than one apprentice. When a potential replacement appeared, he made sure only one prevails and remains to become his apprentice.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    In Legends, Tenebrous, Plagueis and Sidious considered themselves above the Rule of Two in the end. But they were not going excused from it.

EDIT: Nor did he care that Maul still lived (for the most part).

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Ah, Legends.

Maul had already been replaced for over a decade, he was no longer a Sith, and Sidious did care enough to deal with him directly when he considered him to be a problem. He did let him live then, but not for the purposes of apprenticeship.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    @Alexrd; he was most certainly a Sith.

Whether he was a legitimate one or not is a different question.

Dagobahsystem and DarthIshyZ like this.
  23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    But legitimacy is inherent to it. Just like the Jedi or any other similar order/organization.

Maul was a Sith and ceased to be when he was replaced. That was the whole point of the scene where Sidious goes to face him, to reinforce that fact:

"Remember the first and only reality of the Sith. There can only be two. And you are no longer my apprentice. You have been replaced." ― Darth Sidious

24. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    ^ Exactly; from that point on, Maul was just a Dark Side user as with Ventress, then later Snoke and Kylo Ren.

25. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Would a darksider which delved into a Sith Holocron and assumed a Sith title thus not be a Sith either?

There were historically thousands of Sith, even in Canon. Any one of them could create a Sith descendant - and any one of them could judge the Baneite line as illegitimate but that doesn’t stop Sidious being a Sith...

... and I would not turn to the Tribe, to Lumiya, to Krayt, and judge them as simple darksiders.

Dagobahsystem likes this.