main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Measuring The Success Of The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by chris hayes, Apr 22, 2018.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This isn't the thread to discuss Solo.

Martoto77 likes this.
  2. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
  3. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    Surprised to see this order TFA > Solo > TLJ from the Guardian. That was a little unexpected.

But not surprisingly, I agree with the most upvoted opinion in the comment section:

Rogue One was far better than the 2015 and 2017 instalments.”

4. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    So much for avoiding giving possible spoilers. [face_waiting]

5. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    LMAO, he ranks the Holiday Special above all three prequels, you must have loved this list;)

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  6. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    I've never watched it so I have no opinion. Regardless, it's presumptuous of what my opinion should be. Based on what, I don't know.

7. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Just out of curiosity, have you watched the Ewok movies or The Clone Wars?

8. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    A single individual personal ranking means next to nothing - no matter what order he had it in. Even an online poll at a TLJ lover or hater board would have more value than that.

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  9. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    That is not the first I’ve seen from the press.
    Of course, if fans were to say the Holiday Special was better than TLJ then they would be denouncing their narrow-minded headcanons and their obvious racism.:p

10. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    - No I've never seen the Ewok films or CW.

- I suppose it's no surprise at this stage that there's continuous negotiation of means next to nothing.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  11. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Lol yup. What I found most funny about all the articles where critics' chided the fans was how they elevated TLJ above all other SW media into fine art, like it requires some above-average education to appreciate. Puhleeez

12. La Calavera

Sep 2, 2015
    I haven't seen the Ewok films but I heard some positive opinions on it.
    I saw the TCW movie. I love the series, but the movie is really bad. Though I guess you can always try fit it within the prequel rank if you think they all share the problems (though I do believe every complaint movie critics had about the prequels is magnified in the TCW movie).

But the Holiday Special? That is the SW equivalent of The Room.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  13. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    I can't say I'd recommend the Ewok movies, but they are not nearly so bad as the Holiday Special. They were originally tv movies too, and their special effects reflect that, but if you love Ewoks and don't mind the tone of corny kids movies from the 80's then they can be enjoyed. At their best, you can see hints of Willow, which LFL made 3 years later. And they're short, so the curiosity factor can carry you through.

14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I rank The Battle for Endor above Attack of the Clones.

And I like Attack of the Clones.

Ubraniff Zalkaz and La Calavera like this.
  15. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    I know this is slightly off topic however when your discussing the success of the Last Jedi and we are now getting some 4 day weekend tracking for solo after it was touted as being bigger than Black Panther in pre-sales we could be seeing a swing to the other side of the spectrum with Last Jedi's reception drastically affecting Solo's performance. Take a look at the Deadline article http://deadline.com/2018/05/solo-a-star-wars-weekend-box-office-1202397848/

16. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    it's way too early to start making those predictions especially after a strong opening night and really good word of mouth.

Also from what i've seen is people who hated TLJ are interested in Solo because it's not the ST

17. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    A "strong opening night?" Solo is blowing up on the launch pad.

Disney slashes 'Solo' box office forecast as early ticket sales deeply disappoint

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-solo-box-office-20180525-story.html

-LordSkywalker- likes this.
  18. Vicarious Fan

Vicarious Fan Jedi Master star 3

Jul 1, 2013
    that's at odd to what the other article says

"UPDATE, 8:10 AM: Disney/Lucasfilm’s Solo: A Star Wars Story posted $14.1M in Thursday night previews. Disney is calling that a record for a Thursday prior to Memorial Day weekend, exceeding the $13.2M made by Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End on the Thursday prior to its holiday weekend. We already mentioned last night how Solo towers over other Memorial Day weekend previews such as The Hangover Part 2 ($10.4M), X-Men: Apocalypse ($8.2M), X-Men: Days of Future Past ($8.1M), and Fast and Furious 6 ($6.5M). At World‘s End grossed $139.8M over four-days, a Memorial Day record with $153M over five-days. Solo‘s previews rank behind Thor: Ragnarok‘s $14.5M which opened to $122.7M during the first weekend in November."

and also http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4401&p=.htm

Box office Mojo is calling it a recorded breaking opening night.

So not sure why your link is calling it a bad opening

Edit I see so LA Times is refering to the markets outside the US reporting. that's where it is getting 11 million from where as in the US it has broken the current record for Thursday opening before a memorial day weekend.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Ricardo Funes likes this.
  19. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Projections are rarely wrong.. But solo just did 85m. Ouch.

20. relapse5127

relapse5127 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 16, 2015
    200 million opening weekend ?

I have seen 110-120 projected, but haven't seen 200 million anywhere.

It was never going to do that.

jaqen, Xander Vos and rorow1 like this.
  21. cappoe

cappoe Jedi Master star 3

Jan 12, 2018
    It should have at least done as good as Rogue One did but TLJ happened and the people made their voices heard and Kathleen Kennedy did not listen so now the fans are hitting her where Disney will realize they care about, their pocket books.
    Not even hitting 100 million on opening weekend of a SW film is embarrassing.

TheCloneWarsForever likes this.
  22. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    TLJ was #1 movie of 2017, DOM and Worldwide, and #1 most profitable movie of 2017 as well.

Opening weekend was huge. What are you talking about? Solo? This is about TLJ !

jaqen likes this.
  23. Herald of Mandos

Herald of Mandos Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 1, 2018
    The person to whom you're replying said that was a typo and he really meant $170 million, which was an actual prediction.

Seen through the lens of 20-20 hindsight, though, the significant part of that article-
    So the tracking data wasn't that high. And as we see from the more recent article posted by the same person, some sources were trying to sell "Solo's" opening as a magnificent box-office triumph almost to the bitter end. Spinning. It's a good trick!

@Ricardo Funes I believe the point is that "Solo's" financial performance may have been impacted by "The Last Jedi" (will not be the only reason, however).

24. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Because TLJ was riding on the wave of TFA and R1. When I'm sitting there hating TLJ having paid for my ticket, I can't un-pay for it. I can decide not to buy a ticket for Solo though.

25. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    This can be further discussed in the Solo Box Office thread.

TLJ itself was a huge success, a film does not become the most profitable of the year if it was not a financial success, which is a measurement of overall success.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    jaqen likes this.