main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Rey & Kylo Ren in Episode IX

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Sforza, Dec 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Well, Kylo tells her one version, Luke tells her another during her lesson, and she gets the truth after she's gotten involved and everything's gone downhill. Made sense in context to me.

I suppose, among other things.

[face_rofl]

All that was explained in the film. Whether one likes the explanations may be another thing.

It's been hardwired into the series since TFA.

Which movie did I see?

For what it's worth, I did think that her being willing to listen to Kylo needed more connective tissue. However, her "obsession" with the past was otherwise explained and integrated into her story.

Apples and oranges.

That's not how the Force works.

That would be the rocks.

It did both.

Uh huh.

As we saw in the final movie, Chewie had less success then Rey did.

No, that's huge part of Luke's story arc and the theme of the movie.

Hmm, I suppose it could work, but you'd need a lot of re-writes to get it. (I think it also misses the point that Kylo killed Snoke mostly for his own benefit.)

Finn's relationship with Rey is the catalyst for the beginning of his story in this film and the rest of Poe and Rose's involvement is already divorced from Rey's role as is.

Minus all the experience she'd picked up along the way, not to mention the Jedi stuff, which is the thematic centerpiece to the whole movie.

2. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    @WebLurker Most of your responses aren’t responses at all so I’m not sure why you bothered separating comments out just to individually not respond directly. You did directly respond a few times so I’ll address those by themselves without the giant quoting tool.

Re: Chewie having less success than Rey - no he had the same lack of success that Rey had. It didn’t need to be Rey failing to get Luke back into the fold. At least Luke knows Chewie and cares for him.

Re: Luke’s arc hating the Jedi - he also could have expressed his contempt for the Jedi and their ways to anyone. It didn’t have to be a young force sensitive he didn’t want to teach. The exact same thing could be accomplished through exposition instead of to Rey, to Leia through the force, to Chewie, to ghostYoda. It didn’t even make any sense for Rey to be interested in these lessons about why the Jedi are terrible. She was there to help the Resistance and learn about the force, not to listen to an old cynic rant and rave.

Re: Kylo killing Snoke mostly for his own benefit, yeah I was being generous saying Leia was needed. Nobody was actually needed and Kylo would have looked stronger and cooler as a villain if the usurping moment wasn’t couched in teenage angst and lying to Hux about it. The way it happened was weak, but that’s besides the point that Rey wasn’t needed for it.

Re: the Resistance heroes fighting TIEs directly, I really don’t get your point. I think you’re saying it’s better that they flew out with zero purpose or strategy because otherwise Rey would have had nothing to do. Which, yeah, is exactly my point. They’re dumb so Rey could be a hero. Again, you could take her out and our Resistance fighters could have actually engaged in some dog fighting. It would have been better for the story and our band of heroes.

Rey didn’t learn anything about the Jedi from Luke. She listened to him rant and rave, and per the director and the apparent message of the movie, Luke was wrong in his rantings. At the end of the day, Rey ends where she began - pro-Jedi, pro-Resistance, having gained nothing but a bit of insecurity after Kylo belittled her right after using her to steal the throne right after leading her to be tortured right after she set out to very possibly die for him because *reasons.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    Miriedis, unicorn, Jedi Jessy and 2 others like this.
  3. Bunai

Bunai Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 17, 2017
    There is literally nothing between these characters that warrants a relationship.
    In Rian's attempts to force the audience to sympathize with Kylo Ren, he completely forgot to give Rey any kind of purpose or personal motive.

4. leia solo 67

leia solo 67 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 1, 2018
    I think it was a middle finger to the fans who had Rey parentage theories

5. leia solo 67

leia solo 67 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 1, 2018
    I said that if she has no internal struggle and no emotional conflict then she is just a hero with boobs. What's so difficult to understand that she has to be three dimensional otherwise she's just a caricature. And why are you so hung up on someone 'fixing' someone ? No one can be 'fixed', people can only fix themselves. We're beyond that debate. But people who want to 'fix' themselves need a catalyst that they admire to make them see their mistakes so they can change and a support system is also necessary. If Anakin has one he could have returned from the dark side before going over the edge.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    nonesuch likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    “Hero with boobs”? As opposed to some default version of a hero, who doesn’t have boobs? Why the need to even add “with boobs” there at all? Or are men not supposed to have internal struggles and emotional conflicts, only women have those?

And no, apparently “we” are not beyond the debate about people “fixing” other people as long as there is the assumption that someone who fixes him or herself must be “inspired” by another person who “makes” them see their mistakes.

Making Rey Kylo’s “support system” as he “fixes” himself would play right into that old trope—the purpose of the woman is to be the man’s “support system”.

As far as Anakin—Padme made herself into a caricature of that terrible trope (or the writers did it for her) in attempts to be Anakin’s “support system.” What would have brought Anakin back from the Dark Side is his using his brain. A few minutes of rational thought would have brought him to the conclusion that, one, Palpatine does not know what he’s talking about, and two, what he is asking me to do in the name of “us” discovering how to stop death is really, really immoral, and a bit ridiculous as it involves killing innocent people, quite the opposite of stopping death.

7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I got the feeling from the moment TLJ ended that they closed the book on any Rey and Kylo romance or Kylo redemption story. VIII covered those two story points already and that scene where Rey was closing the Falcon door symbolized the ending of those particular stories.

As far as this whole Skywalker Saga thing people keep on going on about. Rey will be continuing the legacy of Luke Skywalker so I don't see it as any big deal. In my opinion it is a good way to transition away from the Skywalker saga.

8. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Please don't go there. Nobody forced those people to spend every waking moment of their lives during those two years figuring out how Rey was going to be Luke's kid.

9. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    Why do they need to "transition" away from it? Why not just make non Skywalker movies? It's not that hard set it n a different time have new characters. If that's what the audience wants then they'll respond to it. Otherwise trying to "wean" the audience from the Skywalkers just sounds like a case of "We know what's best for the audience more than they do".

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  10. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Well for starters say they do an episode X that takes place a hundred years after Ep. IX. If they hadn't transitioned away from the Skywalker saga everyone would be asking where are the Skywalkers? If they properly transition away from the Skywalkers people will know why they aren't in an Ep. X.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  11. Jar Jar Skywalker

Jar Jar Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2017
    They need to end the Skywalker saga now. Even this one is just a rehash of the OT. It's becoming tiring....time to end it and start fresh with a clean slate. The galaxy feels so small in the ST. Old Republic era stories would be nice.

Resistance Trooper 2 likes this.
  12. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Do you think, at this point, it will be easy to start with a clean slate? Do you think that someone can just waltz in at this point and create a whole new saga with brand new characters and Disney will just be willing to take that risk? Have you seen how "well" original stories do these days? And DON'T use Rogue One as an example as it was riding on the coattails of TFA whose mania is long gone at this point.

13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yes I do. Give them a story that is interesting within the Star Wars universe and people will line up for it. Solo just never had that story 'hook'. And @jedijax favor to ask. Will you please keep all the drama you have been creating contained within the Solo area? I specifically moved over to the IX area to get away from all that mess you guys are cooking up now over there.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t think Rogue One was riding on TFA’s coattails, not a year later and a very different story. And I think that’s the only example of an original story on the big screen; on TV, Rebels did fine with only cameos from the OT characters.

It might depend on whether you’re talking about hard-core or casual fans but I think hard-core fans are up for an original story, more so than a story that takes legacy characters and changes them up. I heard some of the same complaints from PT dissenters in the early 00s that I am hearing about Solo now—we don’t “need” an origin story (in the case of the PT, about Anakin).

As far as the Skywalkers ending—that was not what I wanted, but it would take some major revamping to have a satisfying story for me in which that dynasty doesn’t end. I can’t think of a “Kylo reproduces himself” story that I could get on board with, so there would have to be...channeling Yoda...another Skywalker.

ETA: And yeah...this thread does not need to be about Solo, that has nothing to do with Rey and Kylo in Episode IX.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. Jar Jar Skywalker

Jar Jar Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2017
    Why not? A lot of people want Old Republic. The OT trio is gone now...this is the perfect time to end the Skywalker saga. Another Skywalker chosen kid with Empire vs Rebels in the background would be boring.

16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I would foresee a potential Ep. X doing a significant time jump so they could do just that. And I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Game of Thrones guys movies are Old Republic stuff.

17. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Well, some important elements of TLJ are overt. Some are not, and there’s certainly more that I rarely see discussed for the fandom to unpack.

If by “Reylo” you mean the Rey/Kylo relationship/connection/dynamic, I agree. If you mean “romance,” then no.

18. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    I don’t see any evidence that any continuation of the Skywalker Saga would necessarily be an “Empire vs Rebels” dynamic.

Although added material in the TLJ novelizations suggests that Rey is indeed a new “chosen one” (and that Luke, too, was a “chosen one”).

19. Resistance Trooper 2

Resistance Trooper 2 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 11, 2018
    For E9, I'd like to see Kylo find a way to become really powerful. So powerful we see immediately that Rey will have a hard time beating him. This is one of the first plot points they need to set up to create tension in the story.

Then once we begin to fear for Rey's safety, she has to seek allies of some kind. Force Ghosts, hopefully, but maybe also a couple of Jedi apprentices.

20. mariel_rose

mariel_rose Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 19, 2003
    So what is exactly is the point of a Rey Kylo force bond character relationship?

Romantic slant aside, is it for Rey to A- kick ass, take names and became the new face of the force users taking up the mantle from the Skywalker clan aka Kylo is dead, long live the new force users, because the Skywalker family went down in flames?

B- kick ass, take names, continue the force users and drop kick Kylo off a cliff into redemption, because the who "the gods help those who help themselves" and Kylo is a forever a wandering to make up for his crimes?

C- kick ass, take names, be the new face of the force users, take Finn or Poe as a husband and have a tense force relationship with the ghost of Kylo who would not stop whinning?!

D- none of the above besides the kick ass, take names, be the face of the new force users and who took down Kylo empire? Also still single but is very much loved?!

E- um, Reylo force babies. Horrified gay storm pilot Uncles with a dead Kylo father.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    B or D, although on D, there are options for Rey other than “still single”.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    That question seems to be a large part of the basis of the argument that the relationship must be romantic.

Maybe it has something to do with the backstory, and what happened to Rey, and what happened to Ben. Maybe it has to do with the resolution of the Skywalker legacy, and what destroyed the balance Anakin brought, and how that can be prevented from happening again. Maybe it’s about family and that’s why the story is so powerful.

That sounds....rather extreme? I don’t think you actually see the possibilities as so black-and-white.

No, I think redemption will involve Rey. I think Rey is the epicenter of what tore the family apart. Kylo doesn’t primarily need compassion or belonging from Rey - he rejected both in favor of power. He needs something else else, and that somethin else is the key to his redemption.

I’m noticing a pattern here - “If you don’t think Rey and Kylo will have a romance, you must think they’ll hate each other forever and think Sw is all ‘pew pew lasers.’” Which is, again, really simplistic, black-and-white thinking. And utterly contrary to the fundamentals of the franchise. And just wrong.

Kylo has now “grown beyond” Vader, whose arc (as has been pointed outcby many) he’s been paralleling and mirroring. Rey has now “grown beyond” Luke, who - as far fewer have acknowledged - she’s been paralleling and mirroring.

No one *knows* how this will end, but what we’ve seen thus far strongly indicate that the episodic movies are called “the Skywalker Family Saga” (and a “generational” saga) for a reason.

Romantic relationships are an important part of Star Wars. But the concept of “family” - both the family you choose and the family you’re stuck with and must reconcile with - is pre-eminant. As GL has said, it’s a family soap opera, one about inter- and intra-generational conflicts.

23. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    How will Rey be “ continuing the legacy of Luke Skywalker”? Rey learned NOTHING from Luke . He wasn’t her Jedi master or her mentor or her guardian. He didn’t train her. They built no relationship whatsoever. They treated each other abysmally, and they knew each other for at most, a couple of days. Luke did NOT “pass the torch” to her as I think most of us were expecting. Instead, rey apparently gained her Jedi skills and knowledge by downloading them from Kylo, which I think is one of the lamest and dumbest ways I have ever heard of to pass on Jedi teaching, that I have ever heard of. It’s very unsatisfying too.

unicorn and La Calavera like this.
  24. La Calavera

La Calavera Force Ghost star 4

Sep 2, 2015
    She will read the books that Luke touched.

unicorn and ChildOfWinds like this.
  25. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    Ahhh yes. I had expected a lot of conflict, although I had expected more positive moments.

I mean, Rey had just a few days to get out all her pent-up rebellious teenage parental resentment. I expect the reunion in 9 to be a marked contrast.

It was kinda like that old "they fight so dang much they must really love each other" trope. There's a reason why, despite all that conflict, etc etc, Rey was the first person to sense Luke's death. Before Leia, Luke's twin. Kylo wasn't shown to have sensed it at all.

Had there not been some pre-existing underlying connection, the Luke/Rey relationship wouldn't have been portrayed as so dang bad in TLJ.

(If only Rey had gone to the cave at high tide...!)

ETA:

What did Luke really care about?

There's a close-up of Luke's hand on the books. It's his robot hand.

There are two close-ups of Luke's hand on Rey's hand, during lesson 1. It's his human hand.

RJ has this Thing for hand close-ups. Probably means something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.